• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    DNR is having a public meeting regarding the (absurd) proposal to reintroduce elk to Western Maryland @0800 on Nov. 2 in the Community Room of the Allegany Arts Council at 9 N. Centre St. in downtown Cumberland.

Mike Sawyers had a story about it here in the (Cumberland) paper recently.

I know a lot of people think this is a good idea but I hope common sense prevails. Believe me, as a lifelong sportsman and student of early MD history, I'd love to see it but the reality is that modern Maryland, even out here in almost Maryland, there simply is no longer enough room. Here's your chance to make your views heard though, regardless of where you stand on it.

doug38s

BIGELOW
    Mar 28, 2012
    Sharpsburg
    The assholes need to hold their end of the deal up and worry about opening new OHV trails up since they screwed a lot of us to our face by closing the GreenRidge loop down to certify their trees for pulp production.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Bad idea and a waste of money.

The elk herd in PA never gets larger than a certain size, disease sets in and cuts back the numbers.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I grew up in ELKridge in Howard County so I always guessed we used to have them here.

but

The only thing I see happening if this goes through is larger carcasses on the side of the road and probably with more human injuries.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    The assholes need to hold their end of the deal up and worry about opening new OHV trails up since they screwed a lot of us to our face by closing the GreenRidge loop down to certify their trees for pulp production.

They might just do you one better.

My co worker has been working with the state ( Forestry Dept and DNR) for about 3 yrs now to have the local trails opened to the general public. I live smack in the middle of Savage mountain and was asked to show a few state big wigs the trails in my area.( i declined since I am not a huge fan of this whole idea) . The state officials seemed pretty optimistic about opening up trails on Savage Mt, Dans Mt, Greenridge, Meadow Mt.
    Apparently there is going to be a "sticker system" much like hatfield and McCoys trails. Could happen as early as next summer according to some.

I for one hope they do not do forward with this fiasco of an idea.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    If that happened would CWD be a concern? I know they keep a close eye on whitetail for CWD but what if these elk have it and it crosses into the deer pop.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    :lol: Pulp wood production, trail permits (stickers), etc. DNR is grasping at straws trying to find ways to make money while O'governor and his bunch, whom they still continue to defend, continue to rob their agency blind.
    They don't have the funds to manage the wildlife we already have. Who do you think would end up paying for elk management?

Yes, CWD would restrict the potential "elk range" to the area roughly west of Cumberland (in W.MD!). Garrett Co. is just over 650 sq. mi. Not sure how much w. Allegheny adds to this but the oft cited KY. reintroduction covers SIXTEEN COUNTIES! In PA its 10. Thousands of square miles in each case.
    PA made their first stocking in 1913, ninety-nine years ago and there are still fewer elk tags in PA annually than bear tags in almost Maryland! One reason for the success of the KY herd is the lack of predators. They don't have bears in that part of Kentucky! I'm told BLACK BEARS are a major calf predator in PA and a major limiting factor in the expansion of the herd there. Those with pie in the sky ideas about a huntable elk herd in MD. ought to invest their money in NYC bridges and use the profits for this!:innocent0

Don't matter how you cut it, this is a ridiculously bad idea... all the more reason why DNR will likely fall for it.:mad54:

Since we've carried the ball with the resurrection of several wildlife populations already, I suggest that if they insist on this, the first stockings should be split between Seneca Creek S.P. in Mont. Co, and Soldier's Delight S.P. in Balt. Co. We'll wait on them to expand west!

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    Elk hunting is a lot of fun. I hope they do introduce them. I drive out to Utah to hunt elk every year. It would be great to have some in Maryland.

One of the best thing that has happened out west is the closing of trails to OHVs. Makes actual hunting a lot more fun to not have some fat idiot driving his machine right into the elk meadow. Also cuts down on erosion and habitat destruction from the machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom