• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinkpowder

Nov 25, 2013
    OKAY next question..

Surefire EP4's and this:

Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff
    Howard Leight (4.5 out of 5 stars in 2,297 reviews) $42

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001T7QJ9O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385371561&sr=8-1&pi=SY200

Enjoy!

Next question? :)

OKAY! These look great, thank you!
    Now:
    Best eye protection? Mostly outdoor ranges. Most comfortable. Most durable. Maybe a good case to keep them in. Easily cleaned (smudges drive him nuts). Not sure what the purpose of color vs. clear is?? I found these as a suggestion while looking at ear protection. What are all the thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Remin...J92W/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_03_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pilgrim

Howard Leight Impact Sports. get a pair for yourself, just in case you want to hear range commands or other non social butterfly chit chat.

I use prescription glasses that are Zeiss high index polycarbonate.
    I have searched for comfortable side shields but not found my solution yet.
    My buddy swears by Wiley X, me not so much.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    OKAY! These look great, thank you!
    Now:
    Best eye protection? Mostly outdoor ranges. Most comfortable. Most durable. Maybe a good case to keep them in. Easily cleaned (smudges drive him nuts). Not sure what the purpose of color vs. clear is?? I found these as a suggestion while looking at ear protection. What are all the thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Remin...J92W/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_03_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not so well versed on eye protection, just some basic advice for you:
    - eye protection is a must, shooting steel is particularly hazardous, you will get some splash back eventually. Gases from the gun, and the very rare incident mandate wearing eye protection in my book.
    - most of the time I just wear polycarbonate sunglasses, as I mostly shoot outside, daytime on private ranges/clubs.
    - many professional shooters will wear colored lenses (yellow/amber most popular); they say it gives them a slight edge in distinguishing the target better, even at lower light. I have them, but rarely wear them.
    - make sure whatever you get has good side protection; most eye injuries happen from the sides.
    - if you are buying these for someone who is fashion conscious, there are plenty of excellent name brand shooting glasse$
    - many people can't just wear any glasses, they need to really fit their face well. I recommend you try on a lot of glasses.
    - look for a pair that have thinner temples, because wearing larger stemmed glasses under hearing protectors hurts after a while; plus it lets in more noise. Thin is in!
    - soft rubber on the nose, something that won't slip down while sweating.
    - The ones you posted look good to me, good choice!

MinuteMan,

I've been thinking about getting these ever since you showed them to me at the last MSI meeting. I was very impressed with them.

But before I order, what do you think of the Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BGSI5U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER? They have an NRR of 30 v. the ones you have that have an NRR of 22. Obviously more attenuation is better, so why go with the Sport over the Pro model?

Thanks

I recommended the Leight's to the OP because price was a major concern. I don't personally own Leights, I just compared online and they seemed most highly rated from several sources, and had features I like best. If price were not such a consideration, this would be my recommendation:

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X, Neckband - 76302-X

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X slim cup and neckband design allows the headset to be worn under ballistic... » $ 285.00​

Because I double up my hearing protection (nearly every time), I'm less concerned about my muffs not being as highly rated. The plugs attenuate to a 'safe enough' level, then the ear muffs protect even more; essentially twice the protection. When I crank up the volume on the muffs (that still provide protection from gun shots), I can still hear what's going on around me (range commands, etc.).

- Last bit of advice: if anyone suggests you shoot without hearing protection, avoid that person, they are not looking out for your safety. If you have any doubt, please read this:
    http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/Recreational-Firearm-Noise-Exposure/

Excerpt:

Firearms Are Loud
    Exposure to noise greater than 140 dB can permanently damage hearing. Almost all firearms create noise that is over the 140-dB level. A small .22-caliber rifle can produce noise around 140 dB, while big-bore rifles and pistols can produce sound over 175 dB. Firing guns in a place where sounds can reverberate, or bounce off walls and other structures, can make noises louder and increase the risk of hearing loss. Also, adding muzzle brakes or other modifications can make the firearm louder. People who do not wear hearing protection while shooting can suffer a severe hearing loss with as little as one shot, if the conditions are right. Audiologists see this often, especially during hunting season when hunters and bystanders may be exposed to rapid fire from big-bore rifles, shotguns, or pistols.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am tired of doubling up. I just bought the leight impact sport 01902's with the 30 NRR. Since I shoot outside 90% of the time, I feel confident in this rating to just go with the muffs alone.
    Not as cool looking as the sordins or peltors and since I am not wearing them under a tac helmet, I think paying 2/3 less than those (80-$90)it's a great value for excellent protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom