• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    You get what you pay for. Wal-Mart sells cheap low quality goods and don’t ask much in the ways of employee “education”. If you want guns go to a gun store and if you want really anything else, don’t go to Wal-Mart cause it is a terrible store.

This morning we only had some shotgun shells, but we usually get something in about 3-4 days a week(never on monday or thursday mornings because we get no truck the night before). We've been getting 9mm in regularly, and I know last week we had a few boxes of the 500rd 223. Unfortunately we don't know what is coming in until the truck is there.

I went to walmart on quarterfield rd last night and like always I check to see if they had any ammo which to my surprise they did. The employees were helping another customer from out of state with a rifle purchase. As I was waiting I overheard their conversation and this is what I heard. As the employee pulled the rifle out of the box for the customer to look at, but he said "by law I cannot let you handle the gun, but I will show it to you." I spoke up and asked what law is that? The employees replied "we can't hand a gun to someone unless it has a trigger lock on it" I told him there was no law, state or federal that says that and they must mean their store policy. I don't have an issue with a policy like that, just don't tell people its the law. They looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about and they went back to helping the other customer.

I turns out the rifle was not the correct model the customer wanted but they had already done the NICS check. They then proceeded to tell the customer that if he didn't buy the rifle today, he couldn't buy one for 30 days. I again spoke up and informed them that was a Maryland law relating to regulated firearms and it did not apply to a non regulated rifle, and that the feds don't care how many times you buy a firearm.

I know its just Walmart and all but come on man!

The only store policy I know of involving customers handling guns is that after a purchase a member of mgmnt is supposed to carry it outside. Its been a long time since I have done a gun transaction so the policy may have changed, but more than likely the guy was just an idiot.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    FYI, the employees who work the ammo, gun, sporting and fishing section get paid MORE money than the shelf stockers or the check out damsels.

Ah, so they are the creme de la creme of Walmart employees. Surprised they aren't offering brain surgery back there in sporting goods as a result.

In all seriousness, how much more are they getting paid? I would love to know what the average hourly wage is of somebody working at the sporting goods counter at Walmart. If it is not $20 an hour (i.e., $40,000) a year, you are getting what you pay for, which isn't much.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Hey Anthony. Tell your moron manager to sell ammo to people that come in AFTER they get off work at 5PM. I have been in there TWICE and was told that "we have ammo in the back, but we're not ALLOWED to put it out until the MORNING!! PISSES me off to no end!!! I was told by one of the Sporting goods guys that this was THIS STORES MANAGERS POLICY. I don't shop there anymore.

The manager must have some buddies that work the night shift and he wants to make sure they get ammo.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Hey Anthony. Tell your moron manager to sell ammo to people that come in AFTER they get off work at 5PM. I have been in there TWICE and was told that "we have ammo in the back, but we're not ALLOWED to put it out until the MORNING!! PISSES me off to no end!!! I was told by one of the Sporting goods guys that this was THIS STORES MANAGERS POLICY. I don't shop there anymore.

The manager must have some buddies that work the night shift and he wants to make sure they get ammo.

Ditto. Same reason I hardly shop at the Mount Airy store now. It's like the ammo is being hoarded for wink-wink distribution to morning regulars.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    This morning we only had some shotgun shells, but we usually get something in about 3-4 days a week(never on monday or thursday mornings because we get no truck the night before). We've been getting 9mm in regularly, and I know last week we had a few boxes of the 500rd 223. Unfortunately we don't know what is coming in until the truck is there.

Yea, they'll tell you it's in they just won't SELL it to you until the next morning. I know this wasn't how it was last Fall because when I went in there one or two of the guys would check and wheel out a shopping cart with what they had and sell it right out of the cart.

Not picking on you personally. Just very annoyed at the Mount Airy Wally World manager.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yea, they'll tell you it's in they just won't SELL it to you until the next morning. I know this wasn't how it was last Fall because when I went in there one or two of the guys would check and wheel out a shopping cart with what they had and sell it right out of the cart.

I can confirm that. I watched it happen several times while I was near the gun counter in the afternoons.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    This morning we only had some shotgun shells ... Unfortunately we don't know what is coming in until the truck is there.

It's very interesting that Wal-mart does things differently in Virginia. I have been at the Leesburg store and have had the on-duty guy in the sporting goods show me the bill of lading for the shipment that is due in, even though they weren't going to put it out until the next morning. He said I should come back at 7:00 the next morning.

How unlike the Frederick store where the morning guy on the weekend is a total prick. While he may hate his job (at least that's the impression I get), he should still act professionally, if not politely.

Considering our trucks aren't even done being unloaded until 10-10:30ish I don't know how they are saying we have some in the back around 5. I go in at 10, but I don't have a key to unlock the cage, about the only thing I can do is let people know what we have when they are looking. Hell they even make me wait until 8 to buy my ammo, pisses me off too. I do what I can to help, but I'm surrounded by idiots in that place.

It's very interesting that Wal-mart does things differently in Virginia. I have been at the Leesburg store and have had the on-duty guy in the sporting goods show me the bill of lading for the shipment that is due in, even though they weren't going to put it out until the next morning. He said I should come back at 7:00 the next morning.

How unlike the Frederick store where the morning guy on the weekend is a total prick. While he may hate his job (at least that's the impression I get), he should still act professionally, if not politely.

When I say we, I mean the peons, I'm sure that mgmnt can look it up,but trying to get them to do anything worthwhile is like pulling teeth. I really hate that place, but eh, it pays the bills.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    They definitely can. I've been shown a bill of lading in the Mount Airy store one day ahead of time, showing what ammo is inbound.

I talked about this a few months ago. They know what is coming beforehand. A WM manager friend of mine on the Eastern Shore showed it (the list) to me the last time I was there.

They definitely can. I've been shown a bill of lading in the Mount Airy store one day ahead of time, showing what ammo is inbound.

And you would think that they would let us hourly workers know so that we can answer the questions of inquiring customers, but that would be too much like doing the right thing. Just leaves us looking like a$$holes.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    FYI, the employees who work the ammo, gun, sporting and fishing section get paid MORE money than the check out damsels.

The check-out "damsels"??? Well, at the Westminster WM store those check-out "damsels" are more appropriately labeled check-out "damsels in distress". Come on, most of them have more visible tats than they do teeth in their mouth!!! You know, summertime teeth; summer green, summer black, summer missin'.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    It was 150 rounds of Federal SS109 for $69.97, ask me how I know:innocent0

I bought 2 and left one for ther guy behind me.

I'm glad you guys have given up on the Mt. Airy Wally, It lets me pick up what I need after work. :D

I am confused at why everything is cheaper at the Frederick Wally.

fjm0008

Jun 27, 2012
    Arnold
    I was in there the same day, ammo came in 5 minutes prior, I asked for a certain unnamed caliber, he looks back into the glass cabinet, says "nope", I go around the aisle and come back and they are selling that caliber to his buddy. He pulled it out from under the register. I am not going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom