• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    I have a couple of questions for all of the knowledgeable duck hunters on here. I am interested in taking up the sport, so I figured the best way to learn is by hiring a guide. Has anyone here used any of the guides from Chincoteague, VA? Also, Can you guys recommend a good shotgun that can withstand the very salty waters of Chincoteague that wont break the bank? Thanks!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I use Higgins out of Easton for Geese (usually) and some duck. He's pretty good. If you can get a 4 man group together, it's only $100 a person- If you ever need a fourth, I'm always up for going. This is a great way for a beginner to start, because your geese and ducks are cleaned, plucked and prepped for you for $3(?) a bird.

As for a good starter gun, I'd suggest a Remington 870 Supermag. It's durable, reliable, cheap, and takes 3 1/2" shells for geese, should you ever consider that route.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    I have never paid for a guide so I can't comment, but I have always been fond of an autoloader. My first duck and goose gun was a Browning A-5 2 3/4 and shot hundreds of ducks and geese with it. For about double an 870 you could get a Remington 1100 or 1187 or a Frenchi I12. You wont be sorry.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I am going through this same dilemna right now. I have narrowed it down to a bennelli supernova or the new remington 887. I own and love my 870's but they are the older versions and the one I just handled in Dick's the other day seemed cheaply made compared to the ones I got 5 and 10 years ago. BTW the 887 may look ugly but it doesn't feel bad.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    If price didn't matter, the Benelli SBE2 is arguably the best ducking gun made ($1500). For under $1000, the Remington pumps are hard to beat.

As fat as guides go, I would steer clear of www.chincoteaguehunt-fish.com. From both personal experience and local knowledge, I can attest that this is a cattle operation. You get stuck in a blind and left to fend for yourself. There is no guiding involved. Pete Wallace is the head guide and advertises heavily in the magazines, but he gets very few repeat customers. He is universally thought poorly of by the local hunters.

On the other hand, Andy Linton provides an excellent hunting experience and is regarded by locals as a top-notch guide. He has rights to the best spots and will do his best to get you some birds. If you just want to shoot Brant, Jeff Coats is the master in the region. He usually hunts a bit further north in Sinepuxant bay.

Have fun. Hunting down there is a blast.
    D

Andy Linton: 757-336-1253 www.chincoteague.com/alinton/
    Jeff Coats: 410-937-4034 www.pitbosswaterfowl.com

Last edited:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    hard to beat an 870 for hunting. If you don't want to damage your stocks then swap them for synthetic for about 80 bucks. I saw them at bass pro.
    ducking is fun, hardest part for me was to get get the call right. only thing i was good at was a chuckle. when i start ducking again i will be using a decoy that moves its wings.

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    If price didn't matter, the Benelli SBE2 is arguably the best ducking gun made ($1500). For under $1000, the Remington pumps are hard to beat.

As fat as guides go, I would steer clear of www.chincoteaguehunt-fish.com. From both personal experience and local knowledge, I can attest that this is a cattle operation. You get stuck in a blind and left to fend for yourself. There is no guiding involved. Pete Wallace is the head guide and advertises heavily in the magazines, but he gets very few repeat customers. He is universally thought poorly of by the local hunters.

On the other hand, Andy Linton provides an excellent hunting experience and is regarded by locals as a top-notch guide. He has rights to the best spots and will do his best to get you some birds. If you just want to shoot Brant, Jeff Coats is the master in the region. He usually hunts a bit further north in Sinepuxant bay.

Have fun. Hunting down there is a blast.
    D

Andy Linton: 757-336-1253 www.chincoteague.com/alinton/
    Jeff Coats: 410-937-4034 www.pitbosswaterfowl.com

Thank you very much! I was looking at both of those guides and leaning towards [www.chincoteaguehunt-fish.com], Now I know better. I will give Andy a call and go with him.:party29:

I will have to check out the Benelli SBE2. I was also looking at the Beretta Xtrema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom