• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I am absolutely fine with no drones near airports. If a bird strike can bring down an airliner, a drone certainly can. Remember your average person is borderline retarded. Im sure ill be called unamerican and someone will say "apply your logic to guns". There is a difference. Can you find it?

Obviously people should not fly any RC aircraft where it could interfere with or strike a manned aircraft, and there are no cases where it has happened. Without permission nobody can fly on airport grounds, and current regs including the AMA safety code have a 400' ceiling within 3 miles of an active airport without permission. Many GPS capable aircraft are locked out from the factory within the 3mi circle around large airports, or will limit altitude. It's reasonable to detect and counter airport incursions aggainst existing laws and there are existing penalties to enforce them.

The problem is that the FAA and other agencies power trip keep trying to redefine this in a way to basically write their own law. They have tried expanding the radius, applying it as a no-fly instead of 400' ceiling, and applying it to every farm field landing strip and inactive airport in the country, which de-facto bans flight most everywhere around here. Not unlike the GFSZA banning firearms within 1,000 feet of any school, with unchallenged regulation resulting in a broad interpretation it could ban firearm possession for millions of people near, but not on school grounds. Now expand the radius to a few miles, redefine a "school" as any home daycare or vocational training buisness, and you can see how a "common sense" law gets abused to create a ban through regulation never intended to apply to that law. That is basically what is going on with RC aircraft AKA "drones"

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I wonder if a high ROF airsoft gun could take down a quad copter. Considering terminal velocity of even a .43 gram pellet is only 75 fps and can be bio degradable, fallout would be minimal.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So what happens if you miss the registration? Do you go to tHe gulag? Mines not registered still in a box and I have bigger fish to fry than this.

No way of knowing till there is a test case, could be a huge fine, could be dismissed as soon as it gets in front of a judge. There is a bill that passed the house that strengthens the recreational model exemption, although the FAA basically ignored the first bill coming up with this. They are basically relying on local LEO for enforcement, doubt most even know about it, and those that do can probably care less about arresting someone over a federal paperwork regulation. Either way, unless you do something stupid enough to make the news I doubt there is much to worry about.

I'm not opposed to countermeasure, they could be useful to support no-fly areas like airports and military bases. Problem is they are extremely limited and expensive, there are better systems out, but part of the problem with selling them is the lack of actual incursions by hobbyists, and the ease that someone up to no good can get around them.

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    good luck hitting it;)

I'm not opposed to countermeasure, they could be useful to support no-fly areas like airports and military bases. Problem is they are extremely limited and expensive, there are better systems out, but part of the problem with selling them is the lack of actual incursions by hobbyists, and the ease that someone up to no good can get around them.

The Habu is fast. Is it easier to fly from that perspective? I hate when my brain screws up L from R while piloting from the ground looking up, and then that move just escalates in to kindling.. :lol2:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Habu is fast. Is it easier to fly from that perspective? I hate when my brain screws up L from R while piloting from the ground looking up, and then that move just escalates in to kindling.. :lol2:

For a new pilot probably is easier, experienced LOS folk can basically fly fixed wing FPV right away, but it's easy to get lost, harder to judge distance to the ground when landing, and harder to judge speed and throttle, handlaunches without a buddy can be interesting. I had to watch my timer more because I could fly WOT without loosing track of it, sans gear I could get almost 110 level out of 5s, and 140 or so pulling out of a dive with unlimited vertical, LOS I could only go a few seconds WOT before I had to turn around. Learning orientation is tough, especially if you get into 3d, best way is to get an EPP foamie and fly the crap out of it, drop throttle and pull full up elevator if you get into trouble, will flip right side up, then float down without damage

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    FAA Releases Updated UAS Sighting Reports

No way of knowing till there is a test case, could be a huge fine, could be dismissed as soon as it gets in front of a judge. There is a bill that passed the house that strengthens the recreational model exemption, although the FAA basically ignored the first bill coming up with this. They are basically relying on local LEO for enforcement, doubt most even know about it, and those that do can probably care less about arresting someone over a federal paperwork regulation. Either way, unless you do something stupid enough to make the news I doubt there is much to worry about.

good luck hitting it;)

Just the messenger here, so please hold your fire :)

UAS Sighting Reports
    http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/uas_sighting_reports/

The "I Fly Safe" campaign is intended to inform the general public and increase awareness of the latest drone safety guidelines. Share the following safety messages and Pre-Flight Checklist with your friends and family:
    Fly below 400 ft
    Fly within visual line of sight
    Avoid flying over groups of people and stadium events
    Never fly near other aircraft or airports
    Be aware of FAA airspace requirements faa.gov/go/uastfr
    Keep well away from emergency response efforts such as fires
    Do not fly under the influence

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/med...oliday_Pre-flight-checklist_1200x627_ae05.pdf

Unless you are operating a UAS under a specific authority granted by the FAA, you are more than likely a non-government/civilian drone user. Section 333 exemption.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/

Sect. 333 FAQ
    http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_faqs/#q3

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I have been getting into my drone lately.

It is a CX-20. I got it last fall and it flew like crap, and ended up crashing it and totaling the shell. Luckily, all the electronics were OK, so I got a new shell, and mounted the fc with some antivibration pads. Updated the firmware on it and it flys pretty damn awesome now. I almost bought a phantom 3 standard but I held back. Already sunk the money into the CX-20, so I will probably slowly add telemetry and then FPV. Already added a gimbal, and it produces some nice footage.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV

Maybe I would make a good test case. I'm being treated for cancer. Drone registration is the least of my problems or very high on my list of priorities.

Last edited:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    That's a great example of how, with every invention, someone will find a new and innovative way to utilize that invention in unexpected and positive ways.

Great video, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom