• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    How do you define "obscenely pricey"? Over the past six months, I've seen a bunch of pristine Charles Daly O/Us for sale in the $600-$800 range. You can get a brand-new entry-level Citori for about $1,300. You're reasonably close to Clyde's in Lansdowne. They usually a nice selection of new and used O/Us to eyeball, especially Browning. Another option is a brand-new SKB for about $1,200 from Larry's Trading Post in Gaithersburg. He sells through Gunbroker.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Bump it up to $700 or $800 and with a little patience you're likely to find a decent used, most likely older, most likely fixed choke O/U (Daly, Miroku, Browning, Ruger, Winchester for instance).

This was my experience. After looking around for a bit I got an older but solid 12 gauge fixed choke O/U Browning Citori for ~$650. It needed some minor work (re-blue some spots on the barrel, re-solder the sighting rail), but nothing unmanageable. Overall, I've been quite happy with it.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    This was my experience. After looking around for a bit I got an older but solid 12 gauge fixed choke O/U Browning Citori for ~$650. It needed some minor work (re-blue some spots on the barrel, re-solder the sighting rail), but nothing unmanageable. Overall, I've been quite happy with it.

"Sighting Rail"? That's a good one. :lol2:

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    How do you define "obscenely pricey"? Over the past six months, I've seen a bunch of pristine Charles Daly O/Us for sale in the $600-$800 range. You can get a brand-new entry-level Citori for about $1,300. You're reasonably close to Clyde's in Lansdowne. They usually a nice selection of new and used O/Us to eyeball, especially Browning. Another option is a brand-new SKB for about $1,200 from Larry's Trading Post in Gaithersburg. He sells through Gunbroker.

Within the last 6 month I bought a Charles Daly Diamond IV O/U new in box, essentially a rebarreled Italian Shotgun (Marocchi) who original made them as Winchester 1001 shotguns. The Winchester 1001 was recalled do to a barrel/monoblock problem. Bought with no warranty as Charles Daly went under and now reemerged but they won't honor original life time warranty when these rebarreled shotguns were offered new. Paid 750.00 and it is a nice shooter. They are out there, just need to look for a bit.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    I meandered down to a local hardware store/gun shop today, and what did I find?

A Mossberg 75410 "Silver Reserve"

It's a shotgun
    It's O/O
    It was $549

So what's not to like?
    It's made in Turkey, I know. The fit and finish looked pretty good, and the wood stock was nice too.

Did I say it was $549?

ms75410.jpg

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    look at guns on cheaper than dirt. I think they have a good variety of shotguns and you can use that for price comparison or find a local dealer to ship to. There are several reasonably priced over under gun.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown

It's a shotgun
    It's O/O
    It was $549

So what's not to like?
    It's made in Turkey, I know. The fit and finish looked pretty good, and the wood stock was nice too.

Did I say it was $549?

ms75410.jpg

Though not for me, I like to see these guns out there. They keep gunsmiths employed.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    To the OP... The best way to go about buying a double (SXS) would be:

1. Do some research on what's available within your budget that you can shoot for whatever you want to use it for without worrying about it breaking down. Know what the hell you're buying and know the values! Ignore the "Blue Book" values. I would encourage you to buy something that will not depreciate and not to buy a Stoeger or a Turkish gun or a Russian gun.

2. Know that in your stated price range, what you will find are decent utility guns. If you can see your way to paying a little more money, you can buy a lot more gun.

3. Search locally or at gun shows if you must, but know that you will pay more.

4. Once you know exactly what you want (preferably after shooting one), use sites like this one, trapshooters.com or shotgunworld.com and post a want ad.

5. For OOS purchases, you will pay a small fee for shipping, a small fee for a transfer at your dealer and no taxes.

Good luck. Half the fun is in the hunt!

Hesstrucker

Jan 23, 2012
    Keeping in mind you are looking to shoot the occassional bird, and maybe some trap, I think your goal can be accomplished for $500.

Problem at this price point: most o/u do not have proof tested barrels or lined barrels. These two features I think are absolutely a must. The majority of Turkish guns are not proof tested. (google this if I am not making sense)

If you are not concerned with a pretty gun, the Baikal 310 sold under a number of names for $500 gives you proof / chrome lined barrels and an absolute tank of a gun. I have put 2500+ rounds through mine at the trap range and never had a problem, locks up tight and booms every time. So for the occasional bird?

Also check - savage fox model b, any miroku charles daly, Stevens 311 etc etc... All can be had for under $500 for the patient shopper.

The 870 will work, you knew that when you bought it... Just something about a double gun!

Cheers!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

It's a shotgun
    It's O/O
    It was $549

So what's not to like?

Did I say it was $549?

ms75410.jpg

Bought one of these in 20ga for my girlfriend from Bass Pro. So far so good, but not a lot of shells through it yet.

There was a problem with some of them having broken firing pins in the early serial number range. This was fixed by Mossberg in later runs. However, I am told getting them serviced under warranty was a chore. Search shotgunworld.com to find the thread.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    To the OP... The best way to go about buying a double (SXS) would be:

1. Do some research on what's available within your budget that you can shoot for whatever you want to use it for without worrying about it breaking down. Know what the hell you're buying and know the values! Ignore the "Blue Book" values. I would encourage you to buy something that will not depreciate and not to buy a Stoeger or a Turkish gun or a Russian gun.

2. Know that in your stated price range, what you will find are decent utility guns. If you can see your way to paying a little more money, you can buy a lot more gun.

3. Search locally or at gun shows if you must, but know that you will pay more.

4. Once you know exactly what you want (preferably after shooting one), use sites like this one, trapshooters.com or shotgunworld.com and post a want ad.

5. For OOS purchases, you will pay a small fee for shipping, a small fee for a transfer at your dealer and no taxes.

Good luck. Half the fun is in the hunt!

Can you give me some ideas to start?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom