• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    I want to get a double barreled gun for the occasional bird I want to shoot. Given my limited experience with trap, I prefer the feel of an over under compared to a side by side.

However, everything I see on gunbroker is obscenely pricey.

Any suggestions on some used/value guns that will fit the bill?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Real birds, as in hunting? A pump should do just fine for very little money, but I'm no hunter, so I guess I couldn't really say.

If you're talking about clay birds for trap/skeet/sporting clays, that's a different story. For a gun that you won't be replacing within a year or two if you decide to pursue the sport, you're lookin at $1-1.5k for a quality starter gun; maybe closer to $6-800 if you can find a really good deal on a used gun.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    I have an 870 now, but with a short barrel. I would like to have a gun that I can use for real birds and clay birds, both occasionally. And by occasionally, I mean a couple times a year.

I guess I need to hope to find a deal on a used one.

Would moving to a 16ga get me a cheaper gun?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Buy another barrel for your 870 simple. No moving to a 16 ga would not be cheaper. 16 gauges are less common and so is ammo.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You shouldnt have a problem finding a reasonable SxS if you dont want hammers look for a savage they made a very nice hammerless gun. Lots avaialble at low $

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    What do you consider obscenely pricey? What is your budget? What type of birds will you hunt? What gauge? I have a few SXSs I can part with.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    What do you consider obscenely pricey? What is your budget? What type of birds will you hunt? What gauge? I have a few SXSs I can part with.

It seems everything I saw was $1500+ on gunbroker.

I was hoping for a lot less, something sub $500, of course, that may not be realistic.

And i would rather have an SxS than I would a semi-auto.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    It seems everything I saw was $1500+ on gunbroker.

I was hoping for a lot less, something sub $500, of course, that may not be realistic.

And i would rather have an SxS than I would a semi-auto.

Sub $500, get a new barrel for your 870. You're not going to find a satisfactory new gun at that price point; conversely, a new <$200 barrel for your 870 will expand its versatility many fold, and will be competent (though not optimal) for any shooting sport, whether clays or hunting. Buy once, cry once - get the most you can out of your 870 for now; when/if you're ready to upgrade, be prepared to sink in $1k+.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    You can find used barrels for 125 or less for your 870. I use mine for everything and do just fine.
    I would like to have an over/under but if you want a good one you gonna pay and I'm not ready for that yet.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Stoeger makes an O/U that MSRPs for $669. Most of the budget minded shotgun buyers end up getting a pump, semi auto, or single barrel break action. O/Us are decidedly more upscale in their market niche. So you may need to expand what you plan on spending. I got the same shock when I started looking at 1911s. There is a certain grace and style that an O/U has compared to a pump.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Look in the classifieds one of our regulars put one up for sale

Edit, my bad I think it's a SXS

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Around $500 the most gun you're going to get for your money is a used Remington 1100/1187 or a Beretta 390.

Bump it up to $700 or $800 and with a little patience you're likely to find a decent used, most likely older, most likely fixed choke O/U (Daly, Miroku, Browning, Ruger, Winchester for instance).

I'd stick with 12 or 20 gauge, the ammo is easier to find and less expensive.

If your preference is new CDNN has Lanber O/U's as low as $549.

Page 64: CDNN 2012 Catalog 1

This CZ 20 is a nice looking gun: CZ 20 Gauge on Shotgunworld.com

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I have a few doubles for sale, but they are all $3500 and up. A week or so ago there was a 12ga SKB SXS in Anglers in the $500 range - priced well below it's value (kinda strange for Anglers). Otherwise, $500 ought to buy you a Stevens 311 or maybe a Fox Model B. They are not fancy, but they are solid shooters.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have a few doubles for sale, but they are all $3500 and up. A week or so ago there was a 12ga SKB SXS in Anglers in the $500 range - priced well below it's value (kinda strange for Anglers). Otherwise, $500 ought to buy you a Stevens 311 or maybe a Fox Model B. They are not fancy, but they are solid shooters.

When I bought mine a few years ago, the Stevens 311 was in the $300. Solid utility gun. Keep thinking about getting another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom