• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Their business, their rules. You might have some luck informing them of the restrictions, gunshop owners are very keen on having their facts straight; I'm confident they want your business.

In that area, check our Nova Arament; they know the deal and will sell what they can to us poor saps from Marilanistan. They also frequent this forum - good guys, seriously. Also, I've heard good things also about Sterling Arsenal or Loudoun Guns.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    They've been a chronic subject of complaints on this board and others for the same thing. My feeling is, if you don't want to sell to a MD resident because the laws are too complicated for you to understand or you just don't want to deal with it, fine. Just don't be a douche about it.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    The FFLs at Chantilly who won't sell permitted firearms to Maryland residents are idiots. If, as a dealer, you're going to spend three days at a gun show where you know there will be lots of Maryland residents attending, wouldn't you take the time to figure out what you can and can't sell them? It isn't rocket science. These guys are leaving money on the table. Dumb way to do business.

I think that a lot of sellers at gun shows really truly like displaying everything, hanging out and packing their sh_t back up when its over. They enjoy the atmosphere and the bullsh_t spewing to any that will listen. I'm not talking about Lou or others that are their for business, and treating as business, but you guys know the type I am talking about.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    That's a crock.

In my line of work I have to be aware of laws in neighboring states. And for a gun dealer to set up at a show that close to the MD line, knowing full well I'm sure that MD folks will want to buy from them, and not bother to be cognizant of neighboring states laws?

Sorry, that's pure laziness on their part.:mad54:

Just shop somewhere else. If this particular vendor's prices are unusually low, it's likely because he doesn't waste time and legal fees learning about Maryland's absurd laws that even our own state police don't even understand. Remember, he's not driving into our state, we're driving into his. No need to hate on him.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    They've been a chronic subject of complaints on this board and others for the same thing. My feeling is, if you don't want to sell to a MD resident because the laws are too complicated for you to understand or you just don't want to deal with it, fine. Just don't be a douche about it.

Agreed. Doesn't sound like this particular vendor was being a "douche" about it. According to the OP, he stated he would be happy to sell to Americans.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If they don't want to sell to Maryland residents, they need to post a sign at their booth stating this. That way we won't waste our time looking at their stuff.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I agreed that it sucks for us, but can you blame them. They would have to keep up with all of Marylands restrictive laws. If they make a mistake what would the consequences be for them ? They are trying to run a business and the paperwork and restrictions they have are bad enough as it is. So I ask you to put yourself in thier shoes before condemning them. Now if they have an attitude that could be a whole other story. It is our state government that needs to change.

I disgree. They should try to support the gun group in Maryland and loyalty to 2A. If they are professionals they should go through the laws and give what we can have.

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If they don't want to sell to Maryland residents, they need to post a sign at their booth stating this. That way we won't waste our time looking at their stuff.

Fair enough. I'd prolly stop and look anyway, it's good to get feel for the market and see cool stuff.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Your understanding is wrong, the BATF says that they can only sell to an out of state resident when they meet BOTH the laws of their state and the laws of the state of the buyer.

So they ARE bound by MD laws, not by MD, but by Federal law.

I can see the issue with any evil black rifle, but a bolt action? A .22 rimfire? NO excuse.

And even a pistol, they will have to transfer to an MD dealer, but YOU will pay them to do that.

Thanks for the correction. Something I had always wondered about.

No wonder they won't sell to us then. We are not even sure how our state will interpret their law. But the abuse of Marylanders trying to buy legal items is horrible. They could just say. "Sorry. I do not understand the new firearm laws of your state and do not feel comfortable selling to you. Good luck". This is exactly the response I got from a dealer at a PA show.

If they just read the law for 2 min they would know rimfire and bolt guns are not included.

Sadly I got this treatment March of last year trying to buy a Savage Scout at a VA show. The animosity predates changes in MD laws.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not selling a .22LR Rifle to a MD resident is kind of lame.
    Not selling a Mosin to a MD resident is lame.

Feb 28, 2013
    Just shop somewhere else. If this particular vendor's prices are unusually low, it's likely because he doesn't waste time and legal fees learning about Maryland's absurd laws that even our own state police don't even understand. Remember, he's not driving into our state, we're driving into his. No need to hate on him.

Still shouldn't matter. If he's that worried about why not just ship it to a dealer here? That would negate any risk on their part because it would then be up to our dealer whether or not to release the gun.

GunLvrPhD

Apr 16, 2008
    Falls Church, VA
    Dark Sun has had that policy forever. And they have been dicks about it forever. At a Virginia show (Richmond?) I tried to buy something like an Enfield from them almost 15 years ago, with a C&R FFL in hand, and was told "No".

But they do have good prices.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    I don't blame any gun shop that doesn't want to deal with MD. I do blame the ones that want to be a DICK about it.
    this. you can be polite/apologetic/whatever and explain to a MD resident why you won't sell to them. all the "move to America"/"i hate MD politics" stuff when you're talking to a gun owner from MD is just asinine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom