• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoronus

Apr 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    So, after a disappointing trip to Chantilly today, where I met with the 'don't sell to MD buyers' line, I thought I'd create a thread (possibly stickied?) that lists the booths/vendors that have given us that response. Figured it'd be nice to have a handy list of booths to just pass by.

Nation's Gun Show Chantilly:
    • Dark Sun Surplus - Was told it was 'too much of a pain' and 'if you move back to America, I'd be happy to sell to you'

Definitely provide the guys who give you that crap and where you ran into them, and we can get a convenient list together.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A friend of mine tried to get a Polish M44 Mosin from them a little over a year ago and they wouldn't sell to him because he's an MD resident.

Runamuck

Jul 20, 2013
    I agreed that it sucks for us, but can you blame them. They would have to keep up with all of Marylands restrictive laws. If they make a mistake what would the consequences be for them ? They are trying to run a business and the paperwork and restrictions they have are bad enough as it is. So I ask you to put yourself in thier shoes before condemning them. Now if they have an attitude that could be a whole other story. It is our state government that needs to change.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    So, after a disappointing trip to Chantilly today, where I met with the 'don't sell to MD buyers' line, I thought I'd create a thread (possibly stickied?) that lists the booths/vendors that have given us that response. Figured it'd be nice to have a handy list of booths to just pass by.

Nation's Gun Show Chantilly:
    • Dark Sun Surplus - Was told it was 'too much of a pain' and 'if you move back to America, I'd be happy to sell to you'

Definitely provide the guys who give you that crap and where you ran into them, and we can get a convenient list together.

Can't say I blame the sellers. Maryland sucks and it's not worth the risk or brain damage learning about our laws that the MSP doesn't even fully understand.

Phoronus

Apr 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Not a list intended for torches and pitchforks. I do think they're wrong, but it is their business. I think it can just save us all a lot of time if we know who just isn't willing to deal with us.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    For a pistol, no, I'll cut them a lot of slack.

But for a bolt action rifle? Get real. No slack for them!

What do they do when a Maryland resident walks into their regular storefront store and wants to buy a Remington 700 or Marlin 336? If they don't know that's perfectly straightforward and unrestricted, they should just crawl off and die somewhere.

No slack.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I don't blame any gun shop that doesn't want to deal with MD.

I do blame the ones that want to be a DICK about it. Just simply say you are a small shop and do not have the time to hire a lawyer and understand the screwed up laws. I'd walk away with a bit of respect from that shop.

But the gun industry by and far is filled with arrogant and ignorant short minded folks. Luckily there are several exceptions to this.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    For a pistol, no, I'll cut them a lot of slack.

But for a bolt action rifle? Get real. No slack for them!

What do they do when a Maryland resident walks into their regular storefront store and wants to buy a Remington 700 or Marlin 336? If they don't know that's perfectly straightforward and unrestricted, they should just crawl off and die somewhere.

No slack.

A friend of mine who is an NJ resident got denied a Type 53 by a PA FFL. The reason they cited was the bayonet. They thought that was illegal in NJ.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    They are not subject to MD laws. You as a MD resident are responsible for knowing and adhering to the laws of this state.

So long as they are breaking no federal laws or laws for their state they are good to go.

At least this is my understanding. Of course this just makes them bigger jerks.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    It always amazed me how many people at Virginia shows don't want me to give them my money. Maryland shows might not have standard capacity magazines but at least I know everyone in there will sell to me.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its why Im starting not go. I get it, in times of uncertainty an FFL will err on their side. However, silly stuff like I wont sell you a Mosin is nuts.

Ill probably go to York next weekend. Need some Magpul 40s.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They are not subject to MD laws. You as a MD resident are responsible for knowing and adhering to the laws of this state.

So long as they are breaking no federal laws or laws for their state they are good to go.

At least this is my understanding. Of course this just makes them bigger jerks.

Your understanding is wrong, the BATF says that they can only sell to an out of state resident when they meet BOTH the laws of their state and the laws of the state of the buyer.

So they ARE bound by MD laws, not by MD, but by Federal law.

I can see the issue with any evil black rifle, but a bolt action? A .22 rimfire? NO excuse.

And even a pistol, they will have to transfer to an MD dealer, but YOU will pay them to do that.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    There were several Maryland based dealers at the Chantilly show yesterday. One way to work around the I won't sell to a Maryland residents is to set up a transfer system with one or more of these MD based dealers. Yes this can be a pain in the ass for a MD resident and will add some cost to a gun but it will allow you to buy anything you find at a VA show that would be legal in Maryland.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    There were several Maryland based dealers at the Chantilly show yesterday. One way to work around the I won't sell to a Maryland residents is to set up a transfer system with one or more of these MD based dealers. Yes this can be a pain in the ass for a MD resident and will add some cost to a gun but it will allow you to buy anything you find at a VA show that would be legal in Maryland.

That's not entirelly true,there are at least two regular dealers that wont transfer over to a md dealers.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    :thumbsup:
    I don't blame any gun shop that doesn't want to deal with MD.

I do blame the ones that want to be a DICK about it. Just simply say you are a small shop and do not have the time to hire a lawyer and understand the screwed up laws. I'd walk away with a bit of respect from that shop.

But the gun industry by and far is filled with arrogant and ignorant short minded folks. Luckily there are several exceptions to this.

:party29:

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    Dark Sun

I tried doing business with them once. Just once. The skinny long haired guy was the one I tried doing business with. A few years ago, he had some decent Hex Mosins on his table. I figured I'd use my C&R to make the process go a little faster. He told me he wouldn't sell to C&R since the ATF "hates C&R" and he didn't want to get audited. Never mind that the C&R comes from the ATF. When I told him I was stationed in Md and I'd go through the usual paperwork instead, he got annoyed and said he'd never sell to someone living in Md.

His business, he can do what he wants. But even if I were to pass his inspection in the future, he won't see any of my money...

outlaw613

Jun 5, 2013
    they should be helping us not shunning us otherwise the battle can go to there state
    it just tells me that they are just in it for the cash and not the right.
    it reminds me of when i went to a local gun shop and one of the guys behind the counter tolled me its a privilege not a right to own a gun.

Feb 28, 2013
    Can't say I blame the sellers. Maryland sucks and it's not worth the risk or brain damage learning about our laws that the MSP doesn't even fully understand.

That's a crock.

In my line of work I have to be aware of laws in neighboring states. And for a gun dealer to set up at a show that close to the MD line, knowing full well I'm sure that MD folks will want to buy from them, and not bother to be cognizant of neighboring states laws?

Sorry, that's pure laziness on their part.:mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom