• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Still shouldn't matter. If he's that worried about why not just ship it to a dealer here? That would negate any risk on their part because it would then be up to our dealer whether or not to release the gun.

I'm sure he'd have no problem doing that, but why would the buyer want to pay an unnecessary transfer fee? May as well find it online cheaper.

Skivvy9r

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, MD
    I'm sure he'd have no problem doing that, but why would the buyer want to pay an unnecessary transfer fee? May as well find it online cheaper.

I think we've already established this particular dealer won't do it. Sounds like he's always been a jackhole and hasn't had recent change of heart. Might be worth contacting the show promoter about. Doesn't take a lot a vendors like this to keep Marylanders from making the trip to his show.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Might be worth a try to see if Dark Sun would sell a Blaser S2 rifle to a person from Md.:innocent0 Plop the cash down and see how strong his convictions are.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    They are not subject to MD laws. You as a MD resident are responsible for knowing and adhering to the laws of this state.

So long as they are breaking no federal laws or laws for their state they are good to go.

At least this is my understanding. Of course this just makes them bigger jerks.

Read next quoted post............

Your understanding is wrong, the BATF says that they can only sell to an out of state resident when they meet BOTH the laws of their state and the laws of the state of the buyer.

So they ARE bound by MD laws, not by MD, but by Federal law.

THIS ^^^ though it was accepted as corect by dontpanic later in thread; I'm just reiterating the point. Thanx Pinecone.

Their business, their rules. You might have some luck informing them of the restrictions, gunshop owners are very keen on having their facts straight; I'm confident they want your business.

Their business, their rules.---Correct

You might have some luck informing them of the restrictions.---Very questionable at best.

Gunshop owners are very keen on having their facts straight.---This is most certainly not an all inclusive statement as there are so many that don't know what the hell they're doing.

I'm confident they want your business.---If they do, they most certainly won't do a thing about it such as poke their noses in the printed matter and discover they CAN sell SOME types of guns to MD residents.

Sorry to tear apart your post there Minuteman, but I think it needed to be done as you've given too many VA dealers too much credit in your post.

If they don't want to sell to Maryland residents, they need to post a sign at their booth stating this. That way we won't waste our time looking at their stuff.

I disgree. They should try to support the gun group in Maryland and loyalty to 2A. If they are professionals they should go through the laws and give what we can have.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't blame any gun shop that doesn't want to deal with MD.

I do blame the ones that want to be a DICK about it. Just simply say you are a small shop and do not have the time to hire a lawyer and understand the screwed up laws. I'd walk away with a bit of respect from that shop.

But the gun industry by and far is filled with arrogant and ignorant short minded folks. Luckily there are several exceptions to this.

:goodpost:

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    So they ARE bound by MD laws, not by MD, but by Federal law.

At the end of the day, I guess it boils down to this along with how much patience the vendor has to deal with potential issues with both Fed and State regulations. It's not like either of them are on his side, quite the contrary. Thats the heart of the problem.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    For a pistol, no, I'll cut them a lot of slack.

But for a bolt action rifle? Get real. No slack for them!

What do they do when a Maryland resident walks into their regular storefront store and wants to buy a Remington 700 or Marlin 336? If they don't know that's perfectly straightforward and unrestricted, they should just crawl off and die somewhere.

No slack.

Even if I go to Idaho and want to get a gun? I mean I can understand them no knowing every states laws and while as a businessman I would want every sale possible I can see why they don't want to mess with it

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Dark Sun has been a problem dealer for years. When I lived in northern VA, he refused to sell three rifles to me because I held a green card. Too much hassle. Tore up the paperwork right in front of me after I filled it out and handed my cash back to me. So it wasn't even an MD thing then.

So I went to Bailey's Guns in the back and they were happy to sell to me. There are several dealers there I've had no trouble buying from over the years while in MD.

I've taken friends to the Chantilly show looking for their first toys and when they've browsed at Dark Sun, I've loudly stated for us to look elsewhere because they were a bunch of *ssholes who don't like your money. The dirty looks I've received for that with a crowd browsing their wares is worth it every time.

Matt

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Refusal to sell is a political statement.

Hell, just being an FFL in this day and age is a form of political protest. Not selling is what freedom is all about and no amount of bellyaching will change that. But being a dick about it is rude--freedom or not.

1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    Good to know about Dark Sun..

A couple of months ago, I picked up a RRA LAR8 Varmint 20" at the Trader Jerry's booth..they had a minor issue with MD residence status, but I told them that it was not on the list and should still be cash/carry..they checked their list and after doing NICS check (less than 25mins); I was $1500 lighter but happier as I walked out the front door..I just installed the Bi-Pod & replaced the A2 stock with the Magpul PRS with the DPMS extenstion over the weekend..next step is a scope (there goes another $700+)..:D

Attachments

• ALICE.jpg
      ALICE.jpg
      35.6 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads