• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I took my new Vector Uzi SA out to AGC today for what I thought would be some fun shooting. From the first mag it was jamming every 2nd or 3rd round (stovepipes, feeding issues). I thought my gun was broken so I came home, stripped it down and cleaned well. Started checking online and saw many reports of UMC FMJ's having this issue, but no issues with WWB ammo which I thought I was using. I checked my ammo can and realized that the rounds I had shot (and tried to shoot) were yellow box UMC that I had bought awhile back and dumped on top of my remaining WWB in the can. Anyone else experience jam-o-magic from these cheap rounds? Sounds common among the Uzi forums.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Never shot any out of an Uzi, but UMC has always gone bang for me. It's dirty and underpowered, relatively speaking, but it's also about as cheap as it gets for target ammo. Some guns just don't like certain types of ammo, though.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Never shot any out of an Uzi, but UMC has always gone bang for me. It's dirty and underpowered, relatively speaking, but it's also about as cheap as it gets for target ammo. Some guns just don't like certain types of ammo, though.

Apparently it doesn't have the punch needed to blowback the heavy bolt system of the Uzi. I'll be trying some Wolf, American Eagle, and WWB next time to see which mine likes the best.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What weight bullet were you using? Some military style guns are set up for 124gr bullets, rather than the 115gr. Yes, it is only 9grains but not everything in the gun world is logical.

Federal has a 124gr American Eagle load. Might want to get a box and try that or some of the "NATO" spec 124gr Winchester ammo.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have a Vector UZI that had similar issues with 115gr PMC ammo. Couldn't cycle for crap. The heavier stuff worked better.

Remember, it's a blowback submachine gun (well, based on one). There's a real heavy bolt and strong springs in there. 9mm NATO probably would work best, and at higher pressures.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I've gone through the gun and mag completely, I think they are fine. I never noticed before, but the UMC 115gr has a shorter OAL than the WWB 115gr. The UMC rounds have a slight range of motion inside the IMI 25rd mags where the WWB ones are tight. Hand cycling is hard to tell as it is one heavy bolt to pull back over and over. Range test of several different 9mm rounds is in order.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You have all heard my rants about Remington UMC 9mm, I have gotten some that worked fine but every once in a while you get a lot that seems real lite.

To bad I bought 500rds of it from Dicks about a year and a half ago when it was still cheap.

Stuff goes bang, is a bit dirty. Cycles fine in my CZ. Does not cycle in my Keltec Sub2000, cycles weak (and jammed) my Glock, and does not cycle my Sig 2022.

Never had any of these problems with Federal or WWB.

I would try a different type of ammo.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I've been reading about issues with UMC overall length being a bit shorter than most other 9mm FMJ's and causing feeding issues. I'm hoping this is the case since my SR9c had 3 FTF's in 150 rounds last week and it is my carry gun for the moment.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    My only other two 9's, Ruger P95 and USP9 have never hiccuped, but those two would probably feed and shoot pebbles stuffed into any metal case that would fit the chamber. My reading shows that the UZI likes hot FMJ's to function well.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I have a Vector UZI that had similar issues with 115gr PMC ammo. Couldn't cycle for crap. The heavier stuff worked better.

Remember, it's a blowback submachine gun (well, based on one). There's a real heavy bolt and strong springs in there. 9mm NATO probably would work best, and at higher pressures.

UZI were originally designed for high pressure loads, also know as +P+. Not generic ball. UMC works fine in pistols.

Good luck

Jerry

What smores & Jerry said....I was told to us HOT rounds...try Wolf or the Brown Bear.

johny357

Sep 7, 2009
    Always go bang in my g19. I try and stay away though b/c its dirty and cheap brass isn't that much more.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Just remember at one time (1996 or later) UMC wasn't really labeled as Remington it was actually in a yellow box and said "Union Metallic Cartridge Company". Most people kind of took them as reloads but I assured them as not. Just like any ammo, some guns may like it some not. My AR15 hates wolf but many other people shoot wolf in their AR15 like the zombie invasion has begun.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I'll pick up a box of Wolf, Bear, and the Win NATO spec and try out. Guess I should have read up before heading out for my first UZI day. I shot an FA UZI years ago, but the mags were already loaded so I didn't pay any attention to what I was firing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom