Does Maryland get firearm registrations from other states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    So,

I have a question for the informed folks on this board.

When I was recently "disapproved" for a regulated firearm (and then quickly approved).

One of the odd, or intersting thing, is that Maryland had both my FBI file number, and my New Jersey SBI number.

The New Jersey is the one I'm concerned about.

New Jersey has mandatory registration of firearms, and Maryland does not.

Now, when Maryland "disapproved" me, they also sent a letter falsely accusing me of perjury, specifically:

1) That I had comitted perjury
    2) That they were not charging me at this time
    3) That I was not allowed to own firearms in Maryland

So, if Maryland considers you a criminal, such as someone that had been disapproved, are they also getting your list of firearms from other states? In this case, New Jersey?

Honestly, I wonder how New Jersey tracks firearms ownership, and if they store that information with your SBI file... which it appears Maryland can access.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Within the last 100 years, gun licensing and registration has lead to confiscation and bans on civilian gun ownership in many countries including Turkey, the Soviet Union, Germany, China, Guatemala, Uganda, Cambodia, Rwanda, England, Australia, the Philippines, and most recently South Africa.
    It's bad enough we already have backdoor gun registration and if that new gun licensing bill passes in Maryland I would probably be forced to move to Virginia and I don't really want to. I was born and raised in Maryland and I love my state(but the gun laws sure can get pretty unconstitutional).

kstew

Dec 13, 2008
    If I ever moved to NJ I would not tell them about anything that I may or may not have brought into the state.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If I ever moved to NJ I would not tell them about anything that I may or may not have brought into the state.

I WOULD NEVER MOVE THERE VOLUNTARILY.

Those bunch of anti-gun nuts are about a granola bar short of a full package.

Mark

pappie

Dec 21, 2009
    Pittsville, Maryland
    So,

I have a question for the informed folks on this board.

When I was recently "disapproved" for a regulated firearm (and then quickly approved).

One of the odd, or intersting thing, is that Maryland had both my FBI file number, and my New Jersey SBI number.

The New Jersey is the one I'm concerned about.

New Jersey has mandatory registration of firearms, and Maryland does not.

Now, when Maryland "disapproved" me, they also sent a letter falsely accusing me of perjury, specifically:

1) That I had comitted perjury
    2) That they were not charging me at this time
    3) That I was not allowed to own firearms in Maryland

So, if Maryland considers you a criminal, such as someone that had been disapproved, are they also getting your list of firearms from other states? In this case, New Jersey?

Honestly, I wonder how New Jersey tracks firearms ownership, and if they store that information with your SBI file... which it appears Maryland can access.

In Maryland, you never get approved, you get Not-Disapproved!:mad54:

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Within the last 100 years, gun licensing and registration has lead to confiscation and bans on civilian gun ownership in many countries including Turkey, the Soviet Union, Germany, China, Guatemala, Uganda, Cambodia, Rwanda, England, Australia, the Philippines, and most recently South Africa.
    It's bad enough we already have backdoor gun registration and if that new gun licensing bill passes in Maryland I would probably be forced to move to Virginia and I don't really want to. I was born and raised in Maryland and I love my state(but the gun laws sure can get pretty unconstitutional).

It has happened/attempted here in the US:

1) NYC "assault weapons ban" 1990
    - the ban said to "turn them in or get them out of town," with NYPD going door to door to check

2) CA "assault weapons ban" registration extension fiasco late 1990's
    - the CA AWB required existing owners to register by a certain date; due to the massive response, the state DOJ extended the deadline for the registrations
    - the Brady Campaign sued to stop the extension, and got the court to hold the late registrations invalid, leading to confiscations

3) San Fran 2004(?)
    - San Fran passed a handgun ban and planned to use the CA registration list to confiscate them; CA gunowners sued under state preemption and won

4) Chicago/Cook County 2005(?)
    - passed an "assault weapons ban" identical to NYC; Chicago PD's special gun enforcement unit was tasked with going door to door with the registration lists.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    The big problem that I have come across is that the Federal Record system is not subject to any state expungment orders. Therefore charges that are entered into that database stay there forever. The best you can hope for is that the state disposition gets entered into the federal database.
    As an aside there is this little gem in the Criminal Procedure Article of the Annotated Code:
    § 10-109. Prohibited acts.

(a) Applications for employment or admission.-
    (1) Disclosure of expunged information about criminal charges in an application, interview, or other means may not be required:
    (i) by an employer or educational institution of a person who applies for employment or admission; or
    (ii) by a unit, official, or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State of a person who applies for a license, permit, registration, or governmental service.
    (2) A person need not refer to or give information concerning an expunged charge when answering a question concerning:
    (i) a criminal charge that did not result in a conviction; or
    (ii) a conviction that the Governor pardoned.
    (3) Refusal by a person to disclose information about criminal charges that have been expunged may not be the sole reason for:
    (i) an employer to discharge or refuse to hire the person; or
    (ii) a unit, official, or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State to deny the person's application.
    (b) Penalties.-
    (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or both for each violation.
    (2) In addition to the penalties provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection, an official or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State who is convicted under this section may be removed or dismissed from public service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom