Does Bruen migrate throughout the Constitution?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    If I understand correctly, Bruen concludes that the 2nd Amendment must be read with it's words having the same meaning they had during the period the Amendment was passed. In the Second’s case, this was identified as being between the ratification of the 2nd (1791) and 14th (1868) Amendments.

Does that conclusion apply to the entire Constitution as well as it's other Amendments?

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    It wasn’t addressed to the court so no imo

The court rules on the issue presented, nothing else
    Understood. But the principles under which the Constitution is adjudicated should be pretty consistent, don't you think?

My intention is not to be arguementative. It's only that the "as understood back then" filter, if universal, could be kind of important.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think the 2A is more open to interpretation, hence the many different interpretations. I think SCOTUS has attempted to remove some of that ambiguity. They obviously need to clarify further, since a few states still “don’t seem to get it.”

I think they will FAFO soon enough

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I don't think the 2A is really open to interpretation. I think it is open for rationalizations so people can ignore what the plain text says to meet their ends.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    I don't think the 2A is really open to interpretation. I think it is open for rationalizations so people can ignore what the plain text says to meet their ends.
    I absolutely agree. Plain english. I've always said that if someone is trying to explain what 2A means, its because they don't like what it clearly says.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It sort of does although with the other amendments having many more cases at SCOTUS, they're already baked in and wouldn't be materially affected by Bruen.
    I would say though if you read through the 1A cases you'll see references to the founding era.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Understood. But the principles under which the Constitution is adjudicated should be pretty consistent, don't you think?

My intention is not to be arguementative. It's only that the "as understood back then" filter, if universal, could be kind of important.

Could be important indeed .

But it will have to be separately litigated for each issue .

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Interesting thread. I would think that it could be applied, but measured a bit different for the ammendments passed at later dates. For example, the 14th A would rely on the 1890's more so than the 1770's analogs.

I'm willing to be enlighten.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

That's the basis of the current debate between Originalism and the modern view of the Constitution as a " living, evolving thing which we may twist and stretch and reinterpret from moment to moment as seems convenient or useful to our agenda."

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I believe it should. The English language evolves with time. 250 years can change a lot. Go back 600 years and read some Chaucer. Middle English is strikingly different than what we see today, though you can make it out.

It is very important to know exactly the rights they were protecting. Some amendments are still quite clear. In the case of the 2A, “a well regulated militia” is very confusing to some people. I’m this particular instance, the definitions of “regulated” and “militia” from the 17th century must be noted to cut through any ambiguity modern readers may experience.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    SCOTUS decisions, if you stop and read them thoroughly, almost always reference other SCOTUS decisions. Bruen leaned heavily on Heller and McDonald, so at some point, yes - Bruen will be referenced as a means to decide other SCOTUS cases.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I believe it should. The English language evolves with time. 250 years can change a lot. Go back 600 years and read some Chaucer. Middle English is strikingly different than what we see today, though you can make it out.

It is very important to know exactly the rights they were protecting. Some amendments are still quite clear. In the case of the 2A, “a well regulated militia” is very confusing to some people. I’m this particular instance, the definitions of “regulated” and “militia” from the 17th century must be noted to cut through any ambiguity modern readers may experience.
    The "highly educated" are the most notorious violators.

Even though to this day "regulated" def1;

control or maintain the rate or speed of (a machine or process) so that it operates properly.

Def2;

control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations.

They get it wrong because they are trained to get it wrong.

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    Bruen should, in theory, can be used in other cases where the gov't claims a "right to safety" or "public safety"excuse for infringing other constitutional rights.
    There is no right to safety. Imagine New York and MA governors claiming a "public safety" excuse to force citizens to house military age male illegal aliens in their homes. Both states are moving in that direction. Healey declared an "emergency." Next step it going door to door and taking "inventory" of spare rooms in towns like Woburn (but nit Winchester) and ordering people to take in illegal aliens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom