Does anyone know is SKS still legal in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gti

Jan 4, 2013
    Is SKS legal if not counting the C&R eligible SKS?
    I want to buy one than I can modify some. C&R SKS can't be modified as I understand.

Thanks much!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Search is your friend. For about the 20th time ... SKS is legal in MD as long as it has the regular 10 round attached mag (and not one of the rare AK mag types).

gti

Jan 4, 2013
    first thanks guys for the quick replies. I should have done my home work first!
    My original plan to buy an original SKS. Then buy some 20 rounds tapco magazine from a VA gun show and use it on the SKS.
    Now seems that won't work, although I can legally own both the SKS and the 20 rounds magazine separately, I can't put them together. Am I interpret it right?

gti

Jan 4, 2013
    NateIU10, What happens if a C&R piece I own lose C&R status due to some modification, say I replaced a stock? Does it become illegal for me to own? Or I just can't sell it to someone else as C&R? Thanks for explaining!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    NateIU10, What happens if a C&R piece I own lose C&R status due to some modification, say I replaced a stock? Does it become illegal for me to own? Or I just can't sell it to someone else as C&R? Thanks for explaining!

its yours but is loses its c&r status.
    put the stock back on if you want to sell it as c&r.

MattFive

Nov 10, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    My original plan to buy an original SKS. Then buy some 20 rounds tapco magazine from a VA gun show and use it on the SKS.
    Now seems that won't work, although I can legally own both the SKS and the 20 rounds magazine separately, I can't put them together. Am I interpret it right?

I'd be careful about owning the SKS and extended magazines now. Much like the ATF views constructive possession as breaking the law, the MSP may do the same if they can prove you purchased the SKS post Oct 1, 2013.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

You would be correct. Either way, it would be a manufacturing of a banned assault weapon. If the Duckbill Tapco mags are detachable magazine, you're manufacturing a Banned Assault Long Gun you did not own prior to 10/1. If they're fixed magazines, you're making a banned Copycat under the test regarding centerfire, semi-auto rifles with a fixed mag able to accept more than ten rounds. I'm not sure I would own the 20+ rounders in MD without a pre-10/1 banned firearm to use them in.

gti

Jan 4, 2013
    Thanks Lee2, it helps a lot! I don't plan to sell it, just want to make sure it is legal to make some modifications.

gti

Jan 4, 2013
    NateIU10, thanks again. I have one SKS bought after Oct 1, 2013 as C&R. I recently saw some videos on convert SKS to bullpup (http://sgworks.com), it is so cool!

Now I would just let it go and stop think about it. I guess it is still OK to get the Bullpup stock with the 10 round fixed mag, but doesn't make sense to do so.

At least I still have an AR bought pre Oct 1,2013

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    NateIU10, thanks again. I have one SKS bought after Oct 1, 2013 as C&R. I recently saw some videos on convert SKS to bullpup (http://sgworks.com), it is so cool!

Now I would just let it go and stop think about it. I guess it is still OK to get the Bullpup stock with the 10 round fixed mag, but doesn't make sense to do so.

At least I still have an AR bought pre Oct 1,2013

Centerfire has some cracked stock SKS rifles for relatively cheap right now. I agree, though, and I have no idea what loading the fixed mag with stripper clips would be like in a bullpup stock.

gti

Jan 4, 2013
    I got mine from classic firearms with old stock but no crack, bore is perfect. Strip clip still works well in the SGwork bullpup stock according to what I see on the video, but it just look weird with a fixed mag. So I probably won't spend the extra $$ to do the conversion.

Sirex