• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    yeah Ive never experienced it either...a guy posted on a different forum that he shot a deer and while following the blood trail it snorted at him...I said Ive never had a wounded deer snort at me. I said it was a different deer.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    As I was shooting a doe my buddy tapped me on the shoulder and I jerked. The bolt grazed her belly and just shaved her hair and a little fat. She ran 20 yards and threw a fit. Lol.

GTK64

Sep 27, 2010
    I have had one deer do this to me it was a low lung shot. When I got to the spot it snorted, blood was sprayed all over the brush. I never recovered the deer tracked it for over 1/2 mile next morning found a bed with blood but no blood leaving.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    A hard hit deer (lungs/heart) ain't doing too much of anything. May run but only as far as adrenaline will allow. That adrenaline is a wonder drug.

"Winged" deer can and do do lots of stuff including making their usual noises. Usually, IME, if they're scared and hit maybe not mortally but good, they'll just try escape and evasion. If you only grazed them, they might figure they can bluff ya or call you out with a snort or blow or even a stomp or two.

If you've hit one in the boiler room (chest) reasonably well, they'll show the hit and bleed pretty good....if you let them. I've known them to lick the wound closed. I've also known them to get a good clot going thus you lose your blood trail. They can and do blow clots and start to bleed again after exertion. If you are trailing them, and if you can be patient (I try to give them a 5-20 min head start if I'm confident they're well hit), they'll lay down or rest and blood will pool even a little. If while you're trailing, you wait from time to time, they'll rest when they don't feel pressure...that will provide some good blood if they're hit well.

There's only so much blood in them and while they're remarkable in their endurance and desire to live, you can and should keep after them until you recover them.

Making a good first shot is what it's all about. Then you don't have a long trail and they don't suffer.

Bottom line: IMHO If they're blowing or snorting after you think you shot them, you didn't make a good shot.

The aforementioned errant bolt sounds like it nicked the brisket and scored some tallow and hair. Those don't eat so good.:sad20:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Never heard them make noise outside of thrashing when hit. Rabbits on the other hand will squeal like a pig when hit over the head with a pipe. I knew a man when I was a kid and that was his way of killing his domestics for dinner. :sad20:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    my wife shot one at the highest point behind the shoulder you could hit a lung. The bolt passed through and had good blood...but not a good blood trail. Fortunately I found the deer 20yds past where she lost the blood trail. It bled internally and hadn't dropped much blood...lucky for me Im better tracking blood than her...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom