• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just spoke with my parents who are in the medical field and with those questions end the questioning, if asked at all after MAKE A REPORT to the AMA. The doctor might get their license pulled or already has had it pulled. On a side note both parents say to tell the doctor its non of their business
    Um, no. The AMA has not authority over a license. It is the State medical board. I am not clear on what you are saying in the first part of your post. Are you implying that a doctor can get his/her license pulled for asking you these questions? If so, then you are again dead wrong. It is really hard to lose you license. Asking questions that are recommended by most medical societies is not something that will get your license suspended.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    If anyone needs a good Derm in Olney, PM me. He's been to Gunsite twice, one of us.

Hah! I'm one of his patients. He spotted my CMP tee shirt immediately.

I sure felt right at home!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    It is interesting how this thread has turned into doctor bashing. Most of us doctors are pro-gun. I can't remember the source, but recently came across an article which stated that is it estimated that 40% of doctors in "free states" carry concealed. There are a few out there that are liberal. However, most anti-gun doctors are just ignorant. Many become pro-gun or neutral after being introduced to the sport.

Some docs just like some liberals just don't get it and feel that a "gun" is the source of all evil in society. They are getting bombarded by studies and articles funded by the Brady bunch and Bloomberg like finding organizations which bias them further.

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    Um, no. The AMA has not authority over a license. It is the State medical board. I am not clear on what you are saying in the first part of your post. Are you implying that a doctor can get his/her license pulled for asking you these questions? If so, then you are again dead wrong. It is really hard to lose you license. Asking questions that are recommended by most medical societies is not something that will get your license suspended.

I was referring to the original posting, that after stating that you do not wish to continue those questions and that they dont need that information. Report them, or at least that is the basic of what was said. I am sorry for any confusion and if I am completely wrong then by all means disregard my post

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was referring to the original posting, that after stating that you do not wish to continue those questions and that they dont need that information. Report them, or at least that is the basic of what was said. I am sorry for any confusion and if I am completely wrong then by all means disregard my post

You can't report someone for doing something they are "supposed" to be doing. Doctors by and large are a private business. We talk a lot about freedoms. This becomes a 1A issue. They can ask what they feel is relevant. We may not like it or agree with it, but we can't suppress speech we do not agree with. Take your business elsewhere or just answer "no". With all the new regulations, taking your business elsewhere is not likely going to be an easy option for the future. If I need to document particular answers to get paid, I am going to play that game. How you answer is your business.

ENT Shooter

Aug 21, 2011
    Towson Maryland
    I agree with Teratos. Teratos and many others actually try to keep your medical record from looking like your diary or your confessions to a priest. Others are meddlers and crusaders and can record the most heinous things. I have seen it (sexual deviations, and other unmentionable things). You don't even have good access to your complete record to check for accuracy.

Many patients are painfully honest. They feel that an overabundance of info is helpful to us in their care. They are trying to do the right thing. Patients just need to realize that the data gets checked off in a box now and lives on in the medical record that is increasingly flowing out of the hands of the doctor you told it to.

So, Just limit the data you give which will be recorded. Be smart and a little less forthcoming on things that are not pertinent to your care.

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    Can't believe all this

I am reading here of doctors telling me to lie to other doctors but do it intelligently. How the h*ll do I know where the borders are? This is BS. When I go to my lawyer I don't worry about what I tell him. He is my advocate. He doesn't put my information into a database and send it to the government. You're telling me that talking to my private doctor is like talking to social services - toe the line - careful what you say- to get out of there without saying anything wrong.

What is wrong with this picture? Christ, let me go to the pantry and unroll myself a new tinfoil hat. Maybe I need to wrap my whole head.

The founders must be spinning in their graves.

John C

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am reading here of doctors telling me to lie to other doctors but do it intelligently. How the h*ll do I know where the borders are? This is BS. When I go to my lawyer I don't worry about what I tell him. He is my advocate. He doesn't put my information into a database and send it to the government. You're telling me that talking to my private doctor is like talking to social services - toe the line - careful what you say- to get out of there without saying anything wrong.

What is wrong with this picture? Christ, let me go to the pantry and unroll myself a new tinfoil hat. Maybe I need to wrap my whole head.

The founders must be spinning in their graves.

John C

There are some things that are important to your medical care and some things that aren't. Put your man pants on and figure out which is which.

What we have is the government taking over the medical industry and gathering information under the guise of "public health". Some of us don't like what we see and are trying to avoid people ending up in various databases. Insurance companies and ultimately the government (if/when we have a one payer system) have access to what goes in to the electronic medical record. I'm sorry you can't see it for what it is. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where the "borders" are. If you can't, PM me, I'll help you.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Thank God dad was a doctor and I have at least a clue what is and isn't appropriate. I stick to the issue at hand, this can however be problematic if your left elbow feels like it's been crushed by a truck and gonna fall off because you shoot High Power prone with a godawfully tight J.H. Weller sling. Well you see doc, I wear this 10 pound coat and this monster freakin' glove in this position with your basic stirrup leather wrapped like this and this anchored here and probably 30 pounds of pressure....yeah that only kinda works. Turned out to be arthritis and a couple bone chips floating around inside causing the pain, still hurts enough to bring tears to my eyes sometimes but at least I know why.

As for silly questions try this:

Doc- Do you have X at home?
    You- Basil.
    Doc- No, do you have X at home?
    You- Fork.
    Doc- What?
    You- Oh, I thought we were playing ask stupid, non-applicable questions and give stupid, non-applicable answers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thank God dad was a doctor and I have at least a clue what is and isn't appropriate. I stick to the issue at hand, this can however be problematic if your left elbow feels like it's been crushed by a truck and gonna fall off because you shoot High Power prone with a godawfully tight J.H. Weller sling. Well you see doc, I wear this 10 pound coat and this monster freakin' glove in this position with your basic stirrup leather wrapped like this and this anchored here and probably 30 pounds of pressure....yeah that only kinda works. Turned out to be arthritis and a couple bone chips floating around inside causing the pain, still hurts enough to bring tears to my eyes sometimes but at least I know why.

You- Basil.
    You- Fork.
    Doc- What?
    You- Oh, I thought we were playing ask stupid, non-applicable questions and give stupid, non-applicable answers.

Exactly.

I can count to potato.

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md

You- Basil.
    You- Fork.
    Doc- What?

You and I are almost on the exact same page on this one . Except I prefer asking what the relevance is for the question. From the DRs response it looks like like the truth is the government wants to expand their intrusion into our private business. Hey I have nothing to hide but still don't like big brother in my life any more than it already is.....

Now where did I put my tin foil? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You and I are almost on the exact same page on this one . Except I prefer asking what the relevance is for the question. From the DRs response it looks like like the truth is the government wants to expand their intrusion into our private business. Hey I have nothing to hide but still don't like big brother in my life any more than it already is.....

Now where did I put my tin foil? :)

Most doctors have no clue. They are just doing what they are told they should do. Remember, most doctors got where they are by being conformists. That behavioral pattern continues.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Report this to MedStar.

Again, what do you think you are reporting? The doctor is asking what Medstar expects him to ask. This isn't a rogue doctor pushing an agenda. Medstar doesn't care that you are offended. They will think you are brain damaged for complaining.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I agree with you here.....

DRs are not the problem. Our government is the problem and we need to vote to fix it.

BINGO!

Of course, trying to get the doctors to think about this issue in an objective manner will help tremendously. Being rude, as some advocate, will not help. I talk to colleagues as much as I can about the issue. Hearing level-headed questioning of the evidence from patients is not a bad thing either.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    our dr s asked simular questions just told him i wanted to deal with why i was there. he just went on with treatment and have not heared any more.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Of course, trying to get the doctors to think about this issue in an objective manner will help tremendously. Being rude, as some advocate, will not help.

I agree that being rude is never the correct approach. It goes both ways though. If my doctor that I've seen for the past 10 years asks me these questions during a checkup, I'd be more inclined to answer. When a receptionist hands out a sheet to fill out along with the medical insurance and privacy paperwork asking these questions, I will refuse every time.

It's just a matter of principle. These are invasive questions about behaviors that are political (unfortunate, as that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom