• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Don't know the first thing about this but would be interested in joining a class. I'm technology challenged so hopefully it's not too difficult.

The Technician class license is very easy, just the basics, rules and regs and basic radio concepts. There are many 4-6yo kids that get their tickets every year
    A class is in my opinion the way to go because you tend to pick up and absorb more info as opposed to just memorizing answers to a test as many do

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'd definitely be up for a class. Just curious, about how much does a basic setup cost?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Radio Shack used to have some great study books for the license levels. Some reading and practice questions. But I don't see them listed any longer.

ARRL has some publications also: http://www.arrl.org/shop/Licensing-Education-and-Training/

The Tech is pretty easy. My wife passed it by reviewing the RS book on the ride down tothe testing location. :)

The .135 repeater out of Columbia used to have a large contingient of shooting hams. I got my HBAR from hearing about a good deal on the air. :)

Packet is around, but so much things like that are passe due to the Internet.

Advanced Class here. And I am keeping it, as it is the only ticket that proves I passed a code test. :)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    CB - Limited to point-to-point communications on fixed channels limit 5-10W AM or SSB voice.

Amateur - Bands 160M, 80M, 75M, 60M (5-channels), 40M, 30M (CW&Data), 20M, 17M, 15M, 12M, 10M, 6M, 2M, 125cm, 70cm and above, SSB, AM, FM, CW, voice, too many data modes to name, 1500W max limited in some bands/applications. World-wide reach.

Many of the above bands are not available for voice to the tech class licensee but certainly more than CB. With the second, General licensee you have access to most.

This one is starting near you soon:

http://www.w3vpr.org/node/1237

I have seen club's powerpoint presentations for their local classes posted online and they are certainly valuable but you're not getting the whole content.

I don't think I would pay for an online class unless it was very cheap. Especially when there are sit-down classes available, free, locally. It's always possible to just sit down with a manual or even just the test questions and study enough to pass the test. I don't particularly recommend the later though, you'll miss out on a lot of operating tips.

Great info, thanks!

Now what radio to buy. :)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Great info, thanks!

Now what radio to buy. :)

It really depends on what you wish to do with it as far as the features are concerned. Just like a firearm.

If you aren't licensed, one of the first things you probably want to buy after you have passed the Technician test is a dual-band 2M/70cM (140Mhz/440Mhz) handheld transceiver with a keypad.

Check out this thread beginning with post 13 by Alucard:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1878207

40watt

Free Thinking American
    Jan 12, 2013
    Halethorpe Area
    Do we have a HAM and Shooters group yet? I would be most interested in getting involved in one. I love the idea of "Amatuers with Firearms". I would be thrilled to take part in a forum on this particular type of group, and lord only knows Being Hams and gun buffs we could talk for years on these topics!

KB3ENO (Bill) aka 40 Watt

SFbrah

ლ(ಠ_ಠ )ლ
    Jul 30, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Do we have a HAM and Shooters group yet? I would be most interested in getting involved in one. I love the idea of "Amatuers with Firearms". I would be thrilled to take part in a forum on this particular type of group, and lord only knows Being Hams and gun buffs we could talk for years on these topics!

KB3ENO (Bill) aka 40 Watt

I believe you meant "Hamatures with Firearms" ;)

I would be interested a class as well. :thumbsup:

40watt

Free Thinking American
    Jan 12, 2013
    Halethorpe Area
    Anybody up for a rag chew? Meet and greet? I live near Arbutus. Where ya'll at? Wanna make plans to get together maybe one sat or sun for breaskfgast or lunch? Glen Burnie?
    Honey Bee? Any ideas?

40watt

Free Thinking American
    Jan 12, 2013
    Halethorpe Area
    not on the air at this time. I am in the process of moving soon so everything is packed up. I need to get leveled up as well. I got my Tech license years ago, and have never done anything else. I need to get my general.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Oh no! Another hobby to make me broke.

Well, maybe.

For the cost of a couple of nice semi-auto pistols you can get enough good equipment to talk locally on VHF/VHF and worldwide on HF. Of course you can go hog wild too with a tower, multi $10K rigs etc. Then again you can get on the air for no money.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    You can be on the air on all of the major HF bands for less than $1k
    and as said it's just like shooting or any other hobby, it can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I'm amazed at the number of interested people! I honestly was expecting five or so.

So here's the deal: my wife and I just had another baby (son #2) earlier this month and my time is a lot more limited than I thought it'd be (especially with gardening season coming up).

The best I can do right now is "sort of" offer a class. If you purchase the book below and have questions that pop up while you are self-studying, PM me and I will answer your questions because there is an exam session being offered soon in Timonium (April 6).

If you want to get your license, order this book: Ham Radio License Manual (2nd Edition) available at http://www.amazon.com/Ham-Radio-Lic...2171&sr=8-1&keywords=ham+radio+license+manual or http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual-Revised-2nd-Edition/?page=1. If you really want to get your license, you can plow through this book in less than a week and pass the test. My wife passed hers without even studying (she just learned from listening to me on my ham radio in the car all the time and the rest is common sense).

Next, plan to attend the Timonium hamfest (Timonium Fairgrounds) on April 6 (http://www.gbhc.org/). An amateur radio licensing exam will be offered at 9:30AM, with registration starting at 9:00AM. A huge bonus is that you can easily purchase amateur radio equipment at this event (you just can't use it until your call sign is in the FCC database).

No morse code examinations are required for any amateur radio licenses!

garym

Damn Right, Rebel Proud
    Sep 20, 2009
    Davidsonville
    For those interested down here in the AA County part of MD (not to take away from 6-pack's thunder) check out the club I belong to, the Anne Arundel Amateur Radio Club, besides free exams they also give courses http://www.w3vpr.org/

I am also a Ham Extra class and can help with questions, or if you want to see what a ham station is, drop me a note.

garym

Damn Right, Rebel Proud
    Sep 20, 2009
    Davidsonville
    The cool thing about Davidsonville is that we have a Ham radio club in town and my gun club and range is 2 miles further down the road (which are also great motorcycle roads for yet another hobby!). And all my Representative are Republicans who are voting pro-2A.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the links 6-Pack. I just took a practice exam at eham.net and scored an 86, and I haven't received the study guide yet. Not bad for being out of school for 33 years. :rolleyes:

I may see some of you in Timonium on the 6th!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom