• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Putting different brands in the same outer (ammo) box is fine. Mixing them in the same inner (original packaging) is fine if you are comfortable with it. I do not mix brands due to the differences in manufacturing.

If you put them all in the same box (loose) they might breed and create more rounds. But that would be similar to incest.

I would have no problem with that.

Same here! Especially if it meant free ammo!

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    The 4 calibers that I use now stay in their manufacturers boxes. Empties are currently in 1 gallon ziplock bags, but will be transferred to containers soon.

When I start reloading, I'll utilize ammo cans for the reloads.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I keep my ammo in an ammo can...duh. :D

AmmoCan1.jpg

I found some adhesive-backed business card holders with transparent faces (Smeade # VP23SA self-adhesive vinyl pockets) to work great.

They're intended to be placed inside marketing brochures and manufacturer's catalogs. I put one of these on the end handle of a .50 can and list the contents on the back of an old business card inserted so I can read it. If I put different ammo into my can, I simply slip the old card out and toss it, and replace it with a new one reflecting the current contents of my can.

If I only have a few rounds, I keep them in the OEM boxes. If I have a bunch, loose rounds pack best, but I'll keep an end flap with load info, lot #, etc..

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sort of try to keep them in like ammo cans, but there is always that extra little bit of space I can fit some other caliber.

Ultimate Member
    This seemed like the most appropriate place for this thread.

I was curious as to how most of you guys store your ammo that you buy/reload. For now, I buy almost all my ammo at walmart, and usually just get whatever is on sale or cheapest (I stick to brass). Usually this is with federal, remington, Winchester, UMC, etc… I was planning on just throwing all my same caliber ammo into an ammo box and storing it that way. Does anyone recommended against storing different brands of ammo in one container? For example, the OCD part of me didn’t want to store my 9mm Winchester white box with my UMC bulk pack because the brass is slightly different and the UMC can sometimes be underpowered. Also, I didn’t know how I felt about loading up mags with different brands of ammo that would be stored together. I'd hate to sort it while I loaded up my mags.

I keep my .22 ammo in the original boxes... since guns are so finicky with the type of .22 they shoot I don't mind keeping it separated. It's with my 9mm, .45, 5.56, etc... that I'm more concerned about. Plus, .22 hardly takes up any room! But maybe I'm being to OCD with that too??

Am I being too picky? I’d like to hear some opinion or what you do. Thanks!

I just threw all of my ammo in a big pile in my garage, guest room and basement. I mean you should be able to find what you need by the way it feels. When I go to the range or something I just take a shovel and bring a few scoops even though I may get calibers for guns I'm not using that day. It is a pretty effortless system.

Sometimes I even like to roll around in it like it is ball pit or something. When my AC broke this summer I slept on it since it kept me cool at night.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I'm overly organized with ammo. To the point I have to buy new ammo to go shooting because I don't want to mess up my even numbers of specific ammo. It's ammo OCD.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I just threw all of my ammo in a big pile in my garage, guest room and basement. I mean you should be able to find what you need by the way it feels. When I go to the range or something I just take a shovel and bring a few scoops even though I may get calibers for guns I'm not using that day. It is a pretty effortless system.

Sometimes I even like to roll around in it like it is ball pit or something. When my AC broke this summer I slept on it since it kept me cool at night.

:lol2:

Did the nurse let you near the computer again?

Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    I throw all the same caliber in one big .50 can a piece. The reason being my gun should function on any manufacturers round. No problems yet with my Glocks

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    If left unchecked Jeepdriver will reorganize your ammo for you. He is serious about ammo OCD.

I'm doing that for someone next weekend. Their ammo is a mess, someone needs to sort them out !

They just let different grain weights & manufactures live together in unmarked cans. I can't allow it.

Sirex