• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    This seemed like the most appropriate place for this thread.

I was curious as to how most of you guys store your ammo that you buy/reload. For now, I buy almost all my ammo at walmart, and usually just get whatever is on sale or cheapest (I stick to brass). Usually this is with federal, remington, Winchester, UMC, etc… I was planning on just throwing all my same caliber ammo into an ammo box and storing it that way. Does anyone recommended against storing different brands of ammo in one container? For example, the OCD part of me didn’t want to store my 9mm Winchester white box with my UMC bulk pack because the brass is slightly different and the UMC can sometimes be underpowered. Also, I didn’t know how I felt about loading up mags with different brands of ammo that would be stored together. I'd hate to sort it while I loaded up my mags.

I keep my .22 ammo in the original boxes... since guns are so finicky with the type of .22 they shoot I don't mind keeping it separated. It's with my 9mm, .45, 5.56, etc... that I'm more concerned about. Plus, .22 hardly takes up any room! But maybe I'm being to OCD with that too??

Am I being too picky? I’d like to hear some opinion or what you do. Thanks!

Last edited:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I was using recycled Cottonelle baby wipe containers. I'd mark what caliber/gauge on the top for quick reference. They hold more rounds than factory boxes, and are easily stackable in my range bag.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    ... organize... organize... I'm sure I've heard this word before...

I like those plastic boxes that MTM makes. Reminds me, I need some for .38 Special.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I store all of my ammo in cans, and do keep them in the original boxes. You lose a bit of space, but I feel like knowing what I'm shooting is worth it.

I combine calibers in a can when necessary, if only because I don't have a lot of some calibers (9x18 coming to mind) and it'd be rather wasteful to have a couple boxes of ammo just sitting by their lonesome in a big old .50cal can.

One recent innovation I've started is putting all the open boxes of ammo into a single can. It gives me a good place to start drawing from for range trips and mag reloads, and ensures I don't have a ton of random open boxes in the cans.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Stored properly, modern ammo will likely have a longer shelf life than anyone on this forum. That said, I keep all of my ammo in cans separated by caliber and make an effort to burn the oldest stuff first.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I have a few ways for storing ammo. My more expensive ammo is stored in the extra room in the safe with the guns. I then have some in ammo cans. One can just has random ammo that hasn't worked well with my guns. The other cans have ammo that I will most likely use at the range next or ammo boxes that are partially used. The rest of the ammo I just keep on a shelf in my room.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I use the original packaging and surplus ammo cans. I use painters tape (one strip for each manufacturer) on the outside of the ammo can with:
    caliber
    grain
    type (HP/FMJ)
    Manufacturer
    amount

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    I try to use ammo boxes for most of my storage. My question was more about storing different brands of ammo inside the same container.

For instance, the last time couple of times I went to Walmart I bought two boxes of Winchester white box and the next time I purchased UMC bulk pack in 9mm. I went to throw them all in an ammo box and had a moral conflict about if I wanted to store two different brands of 9mm in the same container... especially when it comes to shooting.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Bulk ammo storage = ammo cans
    Small batches of reloads = ziplock bags with load data on labels in plastic bins
    .308 Ammo = inside my 35 G3 mags
    Empties = coffee cans

Sharpies are my best friends!

Jim

I just realized, I have 11 sets of reloading dies.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    My question was more about storing different brands of ammo inside the same container.

Putting different brands in the same outer (ammo) box is fine. Mixing them in the same inner (original packaging) is fine if you are comfortable with it. I do not mix brands due to the differences in manufacturing.

If you put them all in the same box (loose) they might breed and create more rounds. But that would be similar to incest.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I go one farther--- I assign a serial number to each individual bullet case-- that way if they get stolen I am able to track there where they turn up........

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    I keep mine in the original boxes, sorted by caliber, in ammo cans. It can be a pain though if I need to get ammo from the can at the bottom of a stack...

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Its not good to store more than one brand of ammo in the same container without at least 3/4" of styrofoam peanuts seperating them, otherwise it becomes electrophorus...and you know what that means!!!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Ammo cans for storage, label pouch on out side of can with can no. brief contents / count (if contents change just remove card), use excel spreadsheet with details to can no., content, caliber, date, reloading data, etc., also have about 200 empty (full now) 81mm mortar tubes, these are round with an o-ring seal (waterproof), tube no. on the cap and all data in excel. Works so far. I do keep factory from reloaded and have it everywhere, some here, some there..

also use vac n seal (food type) to cyro pac it picked one up cheap, do 20rds - 100rds in one bag depending on caliber.

have some reloads from back in early 80's / late 70's still look good and shoot fine (accurate)

use fat 50's for empty casings / regular 50's for others only when can becomes tooo heavy

who ever makes it, it all goes in the same can, as long as it's the same caliber, this is where the spreadsheet comes into play.
    HST's out side close by my 45 / 9mm and able to grab more where ever I go.

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom