• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you bought a firearm JUST for your kids?

• Total voters

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    JUST FOR KIDS?

I had the day off and went up to a gun store that I had some store credit now for about 6-7 months. I decided to just spend it, but not on me but for my kids. I ended up with 2 good pick ups for pretty cheap on used .22LR.

Top: Norinco JW15 magazine fed bolt action rifle.

Bottom: Sears 2200 tube fed semi auto rifle.
    I know nothing about these and google says that it maybe a Higgins rifle? It looks like a Marlin to me but what do I know.

Both my kids have youth bolts that they've outgrown so its time to graduate them up. Both of them have EXCELLENT marksmanship skills hitting targets at 50yds iron sights. My kids no NOTHING about mag dumps or even semi auto as they only shoot table. Now with the longer stock this should be a challenge.

anyway....have you bought a gun "just for your kids?" I'm not saying hey i have a bolt .22, shotgun, or pistol that would work for them but going out just for them.

Attachments

• Sear 2200 and Norinco JW15.jpg
      Sear 2200 and Norinco JW15.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 413

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    When my 7 year old shot my Marlin 795 for the very first time, she loved it. She then asked if she could shoot a handgun. Unfortunately, the smallest caliber handgun I owned at the time was a 9mm. I quickly realized that I needed to own a .22 handgun. I found a used Ruger 22/45 for sale here in the classifieds and snatched it up. So to answer your question, I probably would not have bought it had my daughter not expressed interest in shooting a handgun. Although I'm the one who shoots it all the time, I technically bought it for her.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    no kids, i buy them all just for ME!! some people, including family, have called me a kid from time to time...

pitjeep

R.I.P.
    Jun 6, 2008
    pittsville
    have bought for kids & grand kids.i have cut stocks down to fit on some , then buy a used stock to swap out when they are ready.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I voted yes, but I don't have any kids of my own. I'd like to be the one to give my late brothers son his first gun. Estranged sis in law permitting. :sad20:

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I picked up a used 870 to set up for deer hunting. My daughter who was 6 or 7 at the time claimed it. She said you already have a lot of guns and her mother has one, so she is keeping this one for herself.

That tube fed certainly looks like a rebadged Marlin 60 to me. :thumbsup:

At first glance I thought so too,but the stock looks a little different (just not sure what).

To FPS,yes I do/have bought just for the kids,but as they age NO.My oldest has wanted a Garand for a couple yrs. now and since he's 24 now I gave him the paperwork for CMP and sent him on his way 'cause if I order 1,it's MINE.:innocent0

prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    I havent yet but I certainly will. Think it is a great idea, gets the kids investing in caring and being responsible for something of their own. My dad gave me my first shotgun at 10 and I plan on buying my daughter a bolt action .22 for her 7th or 8th birthday.

prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    On another note, anyone have thoughts on what a good age is to give them their own first gun?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I bought a Mossberg 500 in 410 youth model when my oldest was in eutero. I also have a Rossi matched pair youth in 22/20ga. Most of my guns have adjustable stocks now so we can make them fit each shooter in seconds. Most of my recent purchases have been 22's so my son and his friends can go all Boondock Saint Jr without breaking the bank. I need to teach my son to use the Load All to fill the hundreds of empty 12ga hulls him and his friends make every time they are over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom