• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GearDown

Mar 18, 2012
    MD
    So I had started using this guy Marc who runs Sparks Firearms out of his office in Towson. Even before there was a wait due to the MSP delays it'd take him two weeks or more to get the transfer completed because his office would forget to fax the paperwork in, then on top of it he's been continually raising his price without prior notice. Once he has your firearm he'll arbitrarily raise the price of the transfer and then you're stuck paying it to get your gun. The first transfer I did with him last year cost me $55 then then a few weeks ago $75 and now he wants $100 from me and he's holding two of my guns hostage. Obviously I've got no choice but to pay it, but I just want to put the warning out there for everyone else. I'm not sure what else to do. Has this been happening with other FFL transfer prices?

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    There was another post about this type of activity. Stay away from those FFL's IMO. Thanks for outing this type of behavior. That's b.s.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Is the price written down anywhere?

I would suggest filing a complaint with the state police, ATF or state's attorney. Deceptive business practices.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    why is there no limit on what a FFL can charge us to do this, or is there and no one enforces it? thats one reason i only try and use MDSP for this...
    i don't understand how the current MD gun law thats still in effect can be changed by the FFL to a longer waiting time? isn't the FFL breaking the law keeping everyones gun longer then what the current law says..

i know i am just being a wise a$$ about all this B/S

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    I planned to use him as an FFL about two years ago. Finally gave up and went elsewhere due to delay and poor communication. I think he is a lawyer on the side.

hilpala

Dec 16, 2011
    Ft Washington, MD
    Hit up some of the FFLs here on the board and they'll take care of you. I use Joe from Sure Shot and he's always been up front and prices are beyond reasonable. Add that to excellent customer service and I'm sold!

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    I am currently using him for a transfer on a lower. So far no problems. The price is high, but it was 80 not 100. Only reason I used him was because I can literally walk to his office. They got the gun in called me up and I came over and signed the paperwork. So far everything has gone well, but I will be sure to post any progress.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    There once was a directory of FFL holders on the web with their transfer fees. It still might be out there.

babalooie21204

Aug 13, 2012
    Columbia
    i've heard of several that charge a ZILLON dollars....

No really the costs need to be communciated and discussed/understood by all parties before the transfer even starts. I suggest calling around to several ffl's as right now im MD everyone is uppping the costs

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    why is there no limit on what a FFL can charge us to do this, or is there and no one enforces it? thats one reason i only try and use MDSP for this...
    i don't understand how the current MD gun law thats still in effect can be changed by the FFL to a longer waiting time? isn't the FFL breaking the law keeping everyones gun longer then what the current law says..

i know i am just being a wise a$$ about all this B/S
    I read several places there is a limit of $20 but its not enforced or something

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Why shouldn't the FFL's get as much as they can for a TRANSFER?

You're not buying the gun from HIM. Are you?

Is some guy supposed to own and operate a gun shop just doing transfers for folks who won't spend their money in HIS store?

Get your own FFL and see what it's like to answer Gunbroker transfer questions all day long.

You'll sing a different tune.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Why shouldn't the FFL's get as much as they can for a TRANSFER?

You're not buying the gun from HIM. Are you?

Is some guy supposed to own and operate a gun shop just doing transfers for folks who won't spend their money in HIS store?

Get your own FFL and see what it's like to answer Gunbroker transfer questions all day long.

You'll sing a different tune.

Because its soo . . . easy. All an FFL has to do is enter the transfer info into their 'book' - firearm info/seller name/address (or FFL #) and buyer name/address. My FFL (retail dealer) is pleased as punch to do transfers for $25 (+$10 to MSP on regulated stuff). Probably takes 5 minutes.

ob1murry

May 18, 2011
    You're right.

It's that easy.

FFL application is $200.00

Fill one out and send it in.

Problem sovled.

No more transfer issues.

Buy all the guns you want.

Let me know how it works out.

No need to be such a sarcastic ass dude.

Given the current situation in this state, what if it's a gun that the dealer not only does not have in stock, but can't order?

We all understand there is more to it that just simply putting it in the book, but I see no reason why if a dealer can not get the gun you want for you, he should be offended that you brought him some business anyway. A good FFL would be more than happy to have whatever business they can given the state of things, especially given that a good experience with a simple transfer could easily lead to a repeat customer who does buy their future firearms from you.

While it's not as simple as just logging it into the book, it's a relatively minimal amount of work in comparison to the amounts being charged in some cases. In the same way you would be pissed if you walked in and a dealer had marked a gun up 50%, you should be equally pissed at dealers jacking up prices on transfers just to make money. I seriously doubt anyone has an issue with the price being raised to a respectable level, but some of the amounts being tossed around are absurd.

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    Yeah I was going to use this Sparks guy once.. when i was buying my AK. He seemed legit at first.. yes he is a lawyer! His poor assistant knows little and has no power to help. He was supposed to fax his info to the GB.com seller so they can send my gun. I figured ok this guy knows what hes doing.. a week later I call the GB.com seller and they siad they never got the info. I call Sparks and the guy forgot or some shit! I siad F-that... I told the AK seller I am switching FFL's and I went with Horst & McCann.. that FFL treated me great! no problems at all and at the time they were close to my work!

DONT USE SPARKS! the guy does not give a shit. at least use a real gun shop not some moron that is a part time FFL!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    No need to be such a sarcastic ass dude.

Given the current situation in this state, what if it's a gun that the dealer not only does not have in stock, but can't order?

We all understand there is more to it that just simply putting it in the book, but I see no reason why if a dealer can not get the gun you want for you, he should be offended that you brought him some business anyway. A good FFL would be more than happy to have whatever business they can given the state of things, especially given that a good experience with a simple transfer could easily lead to a repeat customer who does buy their future firearms from you.

While it's not as simple as just logging it into the book, it's a relatively minimal amount of work in comparison to the amounts being charged in some cases. In the same way you would be pissed if you walked in and a dealer had marked a gun up 50%, you should be equally pissed at dealers jacking up prices on transfers just to make money. I seriously doubt anyone has an issue with the price being raised to a respectable level, but some of the amounts being tossed around are absurd.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

All I'm saying is that on-line gun retailers and gun auction sites have really hurt the Mom and Pop gun stores. Many of them are frustrated and are struggling to stay afloat.

Dare I say, places like BASS PRO and DICK'S have hurt local stores as well.

Just like HOME DEsPOndenT put many Mom and Pop hardware stores out of business. Not to mention sucking the life out of their employees.

And I was not being sarcastic.

Well, maybe a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom