• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Pennsylvania Senator John Kane (D-Chester/Delaware) released a memo outlining legislation he plans to introduce that would allow individuals to put themselves on a “Do-Not-Sell-Firearm Registry.”

The legislation would require healthcare professionals to provide information on the Do Not Sell Registry for those who are hospitalized for self-harm.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Will this further stigmatize mental health and prevent people from getting help?
    Most likely.

Involuntary evaluations are up to 120 hours. It would not be too much of a stretch where patients sign away their rights because they didn't read the forms provided.

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    People who require medical evaluations for their jobs, like CDL drivers and pilots, are in that boat. They avoid seeing a doctor for any reason because every visit and every pill must be documented. I personally would rather know that my pilot is taking his meds than not know if he has an undiagnosed and untreated mental illness.

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    I think Maryland is 72 hours after which a court order is required to keep someone in in-patient psych care. I don't have any problem with people being put on a restricted list as long as it is court ordered and works like a TRO where it expires unless renewed by a reevaluation. In my opinion this comes closer to addressing the problem with deranged people shooting up a crowd than the idiotic "gun free" zone BS. There are a number of ways you can lose your right to own a firearm. Maybe being certifiably nuts should be one of them.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Seems a little strange; if you have the mental awareness to put yourself on the list you should realize you need help and instead of going on a list, seek out the help. However, if someone feels better by doing this then God bless them...go for it.
    As for a stigma on help, my wife has her Mom in therapy for depression that started during the lockdown and has become worse. She told me the "Therapist" told her Mom in front of her, "If I don't like your answers I have the right to have you committed for observation". The poor lady is seeking help, not threats. Taking here away from her family would probably do her in.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Most likely.

Involuntary evaluations are up to 120 hours. It would not be too much of a stretch where patients sign away their rights because they didn't read the forms provided.
    Not just stupid but dangerous.

Will this further stigmatize mental health and prevent people from getting help?
    Psychiatry, psychology, and mental health, are all a pseudoscience ... the DSM has been proved wrong too many times ! Ya wanna talk about a subjective science !

"Of the 297 mental disorders listed in the DSM-5, almost all of them lack any scientific basis to begin with. The DSM-5 promotes the idea that for most psychological disorders, there is a genetic component, yet there is no known gene variant for about 97% of diagnoses."

https://www.pchtreatment.com/dsm-5-issues/

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Hopefully liberals will sign up in droves and put bumper stickers on their cars and signs in their lawns.

My concern though, is that theoretically a judge could order an individual to “voluntarily register.” Sort of how MSP requires us to “voluntarily register” handguns.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don’t understand the opposition to a voluntary “do not sell” registry. If someone is dumb enough to sign up, it’s a sure sign they should not own a firearm.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don’t understand the opposition to a voluntary “do not sell” registry. If someone is dumb enough to sign up, it’s a sure sign they should not own a firearm.
    If someone is slipped paperwork for the registry and signs it, when they have been committed by a family member (such as a wife to keep a husband indisposed, while she divorces him) involuntarily (not to mention, said family member lied). Obtw, That is going to be a very traumatizing event, placing our victim at the mercy of the system.

This could be a problem.

The bill does states for proposed harm to self, not voluntary or involuntarily committed.

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    It could be used to coerce people to surrender their rights.

Also at least the Maryland proposal would prosecute a person or shop for selling to someone on the list with no vehicle you can use to identify if they are on said list. It's a trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom