• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    you can submit the paperwork any time right? like go buy six guns and as long as you pick them up 30 days aprt, its ok?

stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    well in reality I want to purchase an AK and another AR lower. I purchased a pistol like 4 days ago. Haven't picked it up yet. Its been like 4 months since I got a regulated firearm. I want to go order an AK and AR lower and purchase them on the same form. It should be ok since I haven't taken possession of the pistol yet? I would obviously pick them up 30 days after I get the pistol in my hands.

Also do I need to get a HQL to pick up a lower? My guess is that it depends what the FFL registers it under, right?

Edit: also what exactly do is a purchase order? Is it a piece of paper or email receipt from the store i bought it from? Or is it when you fill out and submit the paperwork?

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Yep, you are allowed to buy two regulated firearms from a dealer to take advantage of a discount, etc., but they must be on the same Form 77r. The only catch is that the wait for the next regulated purchase becomes 60 days instead of 30 days.

MD Code Pub. Safety. 5-129 Purchases within 30 days -- Multiple purchases allowed (Maryland Code (2013 Edition))

(a) Requirements. -- Notwithstanding § 5-128(b) of this subtitle, a person may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period if:

(1) the person applies for and the Secretary approves a multiple purchase; and

(2)
    (i) the purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or a collector series;

(ii) the purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;

(iii) 1. the purchase of not more than two regulated firearms is a multiple purchase to take advantage of a licensee's discounted price available only for a multiple purchase; and

2. the purchaser is prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm during the following 30-day period unless approved under item (i) or (ii) of this item; or

(iv) the purchase is for other purposes similar to items (i) through (iii) of this item.

(b) Application. --

(1) The application for a multiple purchase shall:

(i) list the regulated firearms to be purchased;

(ii) state the purpose of the purchase of more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period;

(iii) be witnessed by a licensee or designated law enforcement agency; and

(iv) be signed under the penalty of perjury by the firearm applicant.

(2) The application for a multiple purchase of regulated firearms shall be attached to a completed firearm application and forwarded to the Secretary by a licensee or designated law enforcement agency.

(c) Background investigation. -- On receipt of the firearm application and the application for a multiple purchase, the Secretary shall conduct a background investigation as required in § 5-121 of this subtitle.

(d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.

May I suggest Bollingers in Taneytown, They are offering $30.00 on the first and $20.00 discounted price for a 2nd regulated transfer. So you basically still have time to either buy online or out of state, transfer to Bollingers, squeeze in 2 more regulated purchases for $50 total transfer cost for your last 2 purchases.(8 day release btw) I can't speak highly enough about this place, oh and I think they having a cookout on Monday too.:party29::party29: Obviously that is if your local ffl's don't happen to carry both your last purchases you may want.

stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    i guess that would be ok to do since i haven't gotten possession of my pistol yet, right? or does it not matter since i would have to wait 30 days anyway. just tryin not to eff it up :(

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    i guess that would be ok to do since i haven't gotten possession of my pistol yet, right? or does it not matter since i would have to wait 30 days anyway. just tryin not to eff it up :(

Do you have any idea when your pistol will be released to you? If it is going to be before October 1, 2013, that is your priority, the pistol. Take possession of the pistol before October 1, 2013 or you will need the HQL to take possession of it.

Caveat - the AG is currently reviewing the HQL requirement for taking possession of handguns after October 1, 2013 when the Form 77r is completed prior to October 1, 2013, but I would not hold my breath on this one. The law is pretty clear that a HQL is needed after in October to take possession of a handgun.

The AR and AK that you want can be transferred to you after September 30th as long as you have the Form 77r submitted to MSP before October 1, 2013 or you have a Purchase Order in place for them dated prior to October 1, 2013 and a HQL is not needed for them. The caveat here is that there is language in the law that might require them to be at your dealer/FFL before October 1, 2013 for your dealer to be able to sell/transfer them to you after October 1, 2013.

The toughest thing about all of this is that the MSP and the AG have not been forthcoming with information, and when they have provided information (i.e., their position) they have changed it later on.

To be ultra safe about this, I would get the handgun before October 1, 2013, make sure the AR and AK are in your dealer's possession before October 1, 2013, and submit the Form 77r to the MSP for the AK and AR before October 1, 2013. That is the safest way to approach your situation.

stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    I am definitely getting the handgun before oct 1st. Also if I get a lower, will it require a HQL? Like I am probably going to end up getting an HQL anyway to purchase the revolver I put on hold to purchase all these soon to be restricted weapons :P

Its like I didn't even intend to purchase an AK but they are an iconic firearm and I would be sad if I never bought one at some point in my life.

rtodd1586

Sep 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    So it looks like its up to the FFL if I can pick up another resricted firearm before oct 1st. Instead of a handgun Im going to go with a lower since they will be banned afterwards

Sig Snob

May 20, 2012
    I am definitely getting the handgun before oct 1st. Also if I get a lower, will it require a HQL? Like I am probably going to end up getting an HQL anyway to purchase the revolver I put on hold to purchase all these soon to be restricted weapons :P

Its like I didn't even intend to purchase an AK but they are an iconic firearm and I would be sad if I never bought one at some point in my life.
    You do not need a HQL to pick up a lower. I'll be happy to answer any FFL questions you may have.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You do not need a HQL to pick up a lower. I'll be happy to answer any FFL questions you may have.

I keep getting you confused with Continental Firearms and have almost talked trash about you twice now. With that said, a buddy of mine bought a Beretta PX4 Storm from you back in late June, maybe early July, and he had nothing but great things to say about you. I was going to head down your way to look at a Sig 1911 and P220, but found them online and just bought them and had them sent to my FFL. Nice to see that you are willing to help out people with questions on here.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013

Question about the two regulated firearms bought at the same time.....in other posts they are saying put both guns on the same 77r?? I don't believe that there is a space on the 77r2 to put more than one gun, am I correct? In that case wouldn't you need the 77m form for more than one regulated firearm? Also could you release both after 8 days in that situation. Thanks.

John2510

Feb 15, 2011
    Silver Spring, since 1973
    I'm trying to determine if I can pick-up after 10/1 if the paperwork is in process.

I'm figuring from statements in this thread that the pickup as to occur before the cutoff.

I have a collector's permit, and I'm looking at stripped lowers, but they may not be ready for pickup by 10/1.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm trying to determine if I can pick-up after 10/1 if the paperwork is in process.

I'm figuring from statements in this thread that the pickup as to occur before the cutoff.

I have a collector's permit, and I'm looking at stripped lowers, but they may not be ready for pickup by 10/1.

For any assault long gun or copycat long gun, you can take possession after October 1, 2013 if you have a purchase order in place. Right now, the MSP is saying that the firearms don't actually have to be at the dealer before October 1, 2013, but that could always change. There is some "ambiguity" in the law as to whether a dealer can transfer/sell a firearm after October 1, 2013 that is not in his possession before September 30, 2013.

As far as handguns are concerned, they need to be in your possession before October 1, 2013 or you will need a HQL to take possession of them after September 30, 2013.

What lowers are you buying that your dealer cannot get over the next 30 days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom