• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtodd1586

Sep 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    Hey all. Today I am picking up a handgun, I am not a collector. Do I have enough time to purchase another before Oct 1st if the ffl is doing 8 day release?
    I have been to 2 different dealers one said yes. The other said no

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Yes. Pick up your handgun today. Then, pay for and do the paperwork for the next one on September 21, then pick it up on September 30.

You could also buy two in September, so long as you bought them at the same time from the same dealer and put both of them on the same Form 77R.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Yes. Pick up your handgun today. Then, pay for and do the paperwork for the next one on September 21, then pick it up on September 30.

You could also buy two in September, so long as you bought them at the same time from the same dealer and put both of them on the same Form 77R.

You can actually fill out the paperwork and purchase today, and wait until September 27th to pick up your firearm. The language is "Take possession every 30 days", not "pay for it every 30 days"

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You can actually fill out the paperwork and purchase today, and wait until September 27th to pick up your firearm. The language is "Take possession every 30 days", not "pay for it every 30 days"

The language is actually "purchase", but MSP uses the possession date as the purchase date, which I agree on since that is the day the contract of sale is completed. With that said, I think you are spot on with everything else. The OP should get started on the new gun. There is the possibility of getting two more before October 1, 2013, but both would have to be put on the same Form 77r and then there would be a 60 day wait for another regulated firearm after he picks up those two.

The language is actually "purchase", but MSP uses the possession date as the purchase date, which I agree on since that is the day the contract of sale is completed. With that said, I think you are spot on with everything else. The OP should get started on the new gun. There is the possibility of getting two more before October 1, 2013, but both would have to be put on the same Form 77r and then there would be a 60 day wait for another regulated firearm after he picks up those two.

+1.
    Do this if your wallet allows.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    If the MSP uses the pickup date as the 'purchase' date, cant you then pay and submit 8 days prior to the 30 day mark as the next 'purchase' date would be 30 days from the last...I never understood this..

ie I pay on Aug 1, pick up Aug 8, then i pay Sep 1 and pick up Sep 8....pickup date are 30 days appart (pickup date being considered the purchase date).

I dont know...im confused and not real smart...

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    i have a friend who is doing the same thing today. He is taking pos. today of a handgun but already had a deposit on an ar. (didnt submit paperwork yet) the 30 day clock will start as soon as he takes pos. of the first firearm. ( As will yours)

As long as you have 30 days left from when u pick the regulated weapon up until oct, 1 (which you do, everything will be fine)

Although this is why i encourage all my friends to become collectors to avoid any chance of a miss hap either way.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013

I would ask an FFL chime in, but it was my laymen understanding, a dealer may release in 7 days "a" gun, but to release "two" guns at the same time absent a DC permit, you would need a 77M which does require MSP To sign off on before releasing. Any IP's want to weigh in on that?

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I would ask an FFL chime in, but it was my laymen understanding, a dealer may release in 7 days "a" gun, but to release "two" guns at the same time absent a DC permit, you would need a 77M which does require MSP To sign off on before releasing. Any IP's want to weigh in on that?

I bought both a 1911 and an AR15 on same paperwork 8/8, picked up both on 8/16. No problem at all. Nothing extra to do. No DC yet.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I bought both a 1911 and an AR15 on same paperwork 8/8, picked up both on 8/16. No problem at all. Nothing extra to do. No DC yet.

Yep, you are allowed to buy two regulated firearms from a dealer to take advantage of a discount, etc., but they must be on the same Form 77r. The only catch is that the wait for the next regulated purchase becomes 60 days instead of 30 days.

MD Code Pub. Safety. 5-129 Purchases within 30 days -- Multiple purchases allowed (Maryland Code (2013 Edition))

(a) Requirements. -- Notwithstanding § 5-128(b) of this subtitle, a person may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period if:

(1) the person applies for and the Secretary approves a multiple purchase; and

(2)
    (i) the purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or a collector series;

(ii) the purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;

(iii) 1. the purchase of not more than two regulated firearms is a multiple purchase to take advantage of a licensee's discounted price available only for a multiple purchase; and

2. the purchaser is prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm during the following 30-day period unless approved under item (i) or (ii) of this item; or

(iv) the purchase is for other purposes similar to items (i) through (iii) of this item.

(b) Application. --

(1) The application for a multiple purchase shall:

(i) list the regulated firearms to be purchased;

(ii) state the purpose of the purchase of more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period;

(iii) be witnessed by a licensee or designated law enforcement agency; and

(iv) be signed under the penalty of perjury by the firearm applicant.

(2) The application for a multiple purchase of regulated firearms shall be attached to a completed firearm application and forwarded to the Secretary by a licensee or designated law enforcement agency.

(c) Background investigation. -- On receipt of the firearm application and the application for a multiple purchase, the Secretary shall conduct a background investigation as required in § 5-121 of this subtitle.

(d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So is there any FFL in Anne Arundel County that will allow me to do the paper work like next week and pick it up on the 30th.

You are in Glen Burnie. Look outside of Anne Arundel County if you have to. Heck, this is crunch time. I would drive an hour if I were you to find an FFL that will do it for you. Go to the IP section and ask there. South Carroll Sporting Goods is an IP. Give Brian a call over there and see if he can help you. Depends if you are looking for the firearm in stock at the dealer or in doing an FFL transfer. Best bet is to find what you want on something like gunbroker and then have it shipped to an FFL for a transfer. Thing is, the paperwork must be done on or before September 21st for a handgun if you want to avoid the HQL requirement on October 1, 2013.

stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    Can you purchase two different firearms from two different stores and pick them up 30 days apart? Like I purchased a firearm and am waiting to pick it up. Can I go purchase an AK from a different store and pick it up 31 days after I pick up the pistol?

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    I'm in the same situation; I'm picking up a Beretta 92A1 today and want to immediately purchase an Colt LE6920 from the FFL dealer's stock. From what I understand, as long as I have a valid PO in hand, I can complete the paperwork 30 days from now and receive on the 8th day even if this is beyond 10/1. Is this correct?

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I'm in the same situation; I'm picking up a Beretta 92A1 today and want to immediately purchase an Colt LE6920 from the FFL dealer's stock. From what I understand, as long as I have a valid PO in hand, I can complete the paperwork 30 days from now and receive on the 8th day even if this is beyond 10/1. Is this correct?

Or you could complete the paperwork any time between now and September 21 and pickup the Colt on September 30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom