• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Actually the guard was respectful...

He was a 50+ year old black man who I judge was either ex Military or ex LEO...

Obviously he had a job to do...

I thought he & I both handled it pretty well...

The point of writing was to show just how far we are from carrying a hand gun...

I've been carrying a pocket knife everywhere since the 5th grade...
    :thumbsup: My mistake. You were there and I'm guessing his tone of voice and non-verbals were polite. All I had to go on were the words.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    The guy was just doing his job. Inside the SS office here they have a BIG sign that says NO Weapons and then for the folks that don't speak English they have nice pictures of guns and knifes. After listening to some of the A$$holes that come into the office I get why they don't want weapons in there.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Not trying to be the jerk here, but regardless of your age or appearance there's 2 issues to consider;

-we all know that carrying any kind of weapon into a Federal building/office is likely illegal and if not will certainly get a challenge
    -the security person is doing his job

This is no different than the open vs. concealed carry. When it's fully concealed it's usually not a problem.

No I honestly didn't know that...

And obviously I've been in other SS offices before...

The only thing visible on my knife is the clip...

The entire knife sits completely inside & below the top of the pocket...

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    So if you need to cut something or defend yourself you just interject with "hold on, let me grab my spare pair of pants?"... :lol2:

It definitely feels like current society prefers everyone to be a victim (sheep) except the criminals (wolves) and then of course it's not their fault, it's their environment. Unless of course you're a politician with a security detail and then it's justified.

Nah I normally am wearing jeans. Since today i am off work I'm lounging around the house in my Speedos:D

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Looks like a kershaw oso sweet. An excellent budget knife in my opinion.

Yes, yes it is. I have 4 of them and never go far without one. Cheap, small and keep a sharp edge without much effort. They also open quickly with one hand which is a requirement for my daily carry knife.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I was in the Glen Burnie SS office last year and the lady guard spotted my Kershaw. She calmly and quietly informed me the knife had to go.
    Interesting group of people, kind of walmartish. Of course I was there too!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sgt. Preston, sorry that happened; the guard was doing his job, but probably could have been a little more polite. I don't like the no weapon policy, because a criminal would care either way, it only disarms the good guys. You might want to start toating a cane for when you can't carry anything else; no one will look at you twice with concern.

Knife rule is actually <2.5 inch blade is ok, open or concealed, no difference. I have a lot of these little knives, they have become my knife niche. Legal just about everywhere except on a plane.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Sgt. Preston, sorry that happened; the guard was doing his job, but probably could have been a little more polite. I don't like the no weapon policy, because a criminal would care either way, it only disarms the good guys. You might want to start toating a cane for when you can't carry anything else; no one will look at you twice with concern.

Knife rule is actually <2.5 inch blade is ok, open or concealed, no difference. I have a lot of these little knives, they have become my knife niche. Legal just about everywhere except on a plane.

or a court house

I have hidden a pen knife in the bushes outside a court house since I did not want to walk back to my car

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    or a court house

I have hidden a pen knife in the bushes outside a court house since I did not want to walk back to my car

Yep.

Funny, I was forced to do a similar thing once. I went to the airport to pick someone up, and ended up needing to go through security for some reason, so I 'hid' my tiny Victornox knife (you know the one with mini scissors and tweezers. After I picked them up I went back and thankfully no one had found my knife. It was such an ingenious way to hide it, I'm not going to say in an open forum, but will tell my little secret to friends.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The best is the courthouse up here. They have lockers available to the public to store firearms with a LTCF, but knives, multi-tools, cellphones, scissors, tactical pens, and Dillo bottle openers. All those have to go back to the car, that was one trip for me that resulted in 3 trips back to the car for my gear while my G27 and spare mag were OK to keep in a locker next to the guard post, and retrieve on the way out with the key I was given.

As others have said, SS is a different animal being federal, weapons are mostly unlawful to take into there.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    In my younger days when I did a lot of IT calls at various Fed locations I got really good at hiding my carry blades just outside the premise mainly due to the metal detectors I often had to go thru. Never lost one of them.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I don't know what it is about the SS office but those guards are very,very strict.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I was at SS in Abingdon on Thursday....I kept mine

It really is a small world Star...

Sorry we both didn't choose to go on the same day...!

Obviously the guard knew what he was looking for...

He was polite but firm...

Pointing at the clip, he said "You need to put that in your car"...

It just goes to re-enforce that NONE of our Government Agencys trust any of us...

I'm convinced that we will never see carry permits in Merry- Land...

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Without knowing anything about the 'rent a cop', I think you could teach him a lesson if it came down to it - without a knife.

You (and I'm guessing everyone else this 'cop' has interacted with)
    should have been treated with a lot more respect.

:thumbsup: Yep, Where is the RESPECT for your service to OUR Country?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom