Did Irene compel you to buy a generator?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you buy a generator this week?

• Yes, I bought a generator

Votes: 26 11.5%
    • No, I already had a generator

Votes: 103 45.6%
    • No, but I wish I had...

Votes: 40 17.7%
    • No, and I still have no intention of buying one

Votes: 57 25.2%

• Total voters

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The only reason I mention to lease:

Last year I had a leak. Workers came out to look at the tank. Noticed that the neck needed replacing. If I wasn't leasing it would have cost about $500 to fix.

Now, imagine if they had to dig out the tank or something similar for repairs.

I haven't really tired to calculate the cost/benefit breakdown, but I rather pay to have someone else worry about problems.

I have the tank only for the fireplace that is only run during the winter, obviously. So hardly used.

i agree with you. im kinda leaning to having just a regular above ground tank.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    I hit Harbor Freight Friday, they were out of generators two days before. If they get them in before the coupon expires, they have a small one for $89 and there's a 20% off coupon. I don't want or need to power the whole house, I want something for the fridge and some fans. Power goes out occasionally here, but not for long periods. Dominion Power and the co-op are really good about keeping power going here.

Jim

I bought one of those last $89 generators Wednesday. Tried it out and it ran my freezer just fine. Never had to actually use it since Delmarva somehow managed to keep the power on.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    You will incur a monthly low usage fee from whomever you rent a tank from if you aren't using the propane except for emergency use. If you converted to using propane for heat and cooking then it would make more sense to lease. Also I believe you would be tied to that dealer for propane needs regardless if you could get better elsewhere.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Are you buying the tank outright? Or, are you leasing the tank from them?

I would think about leasing if possible. Might not have to pay for installation and they will cover and future problems if the occur. Buying outright requires you to pay for your own tank/line repairs.

Just something to think about.

Haven't gotten that far in the process but will definitely check it out.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Are you buying the tank outright? Or, are you leasing the tank from them?

I would think about leasing if possible. Might not have to pay for installation and they will cover and future problems if the occur. Buying outright requires you to pay for your own tank/line repairs.

Just something to think about.

500 gallons underground and never a problem. I own the tank.ill anyone going this route will probably need to add a tank for a generator. My existing tank still needs reload in the winter a few times. A generator would of course drain that much faster.

So how big of a propane unit to get?

My math: This outage will span a week. Isabelle was longer. At 2 gallons per hour, three or four days waiting for truck means...200 gallons propane. Add margin (50%), and now we're at 300. Tanks can only fill to 80%, so now we are at 375 gallon tank. In other words, another 500 gallon tank. This is why I have not pulled the trigger. But now I will.

I'd prefer a diesel system, but do not want to have fumes near the house. So I'd need to pick a spot, cut every tree within reach of it, and then run the wire. Clearing the spot is the big problem for me - I just don't want another clearing anywhere near the house.

With all that drama, I will probably end up running a propane unit.

shrpshtrjoe

Aug 10, 2009
    Cecil Co
    100lb propane cylinders can be gotten from tractor supply for $136 and there manageable for one person to load in a truck and have filled and at around $ 70.00 to have filled . It may be cheaper to just have a couple of them.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    100lb propane cylinders can be gotten from tractor supply for $136 and there manageable for one person to load in a truck and have filled and at around $ 70.00 to have filled . It may be cheaper to just have a couple of them.

thats what i was thinking originally..

for me, w/ back issue.. i dont see myself hauling 100lbs tanks everytime i needed filled.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    I'm having the propane tank put in the back yard. Totally self-contained.

Call them (propane people you have selected) and ask how much is propane with that companies tank, and then if you own your own tank. You will know what to do after that. On automatic delivery...if you don't use "enough" they will deliver 15 gallons for 3x what it usually costs you...there ain't no free lunch. Check it out.

:party29:

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    500 gallons underground and never a problem. I own the tank.ill anyone going this route will probably need to add a tank for a generator. My existing tank still needs reload in the winter a few times. A generator would of course drain that much faster.

So how big of a propane unit to get?

My math: This outage will span a week. Isabelle was longer. At 2 gallons per hour, three or four days waiting for truck means...200 gallons propane. Add margin (50%), and now we're at 300. Tanks can only fill to 80%, so now we are at 375 gallon tank. In other words, another 500 gallon tank. This is why I have not pulled the trigger. But now I will.

I'd prefer a diesel system, but do not want to have fumes near the house. So I'd need to pick a spot, cut every tree within reach of it, and then run the wire. Clearing the spot is the big problem for me - I just don't want another clearing anywhere near the house.

With all that drama, I will probably end up running a propane unit.

Get a 1000 gallon tank. My daughter-in-law ordered about 500 to 600 gallons for $2.27 (they own the 1000 tank) You will get a better price than topping off your 500, and you can load up in the Summer before the price climbs in Sept...for Winter.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Get a 1000 gallon tank. My daughter-in-law ordered about 500 to 600 gallons for $2.27 (they own the 1000 tank) You will get a better price than topping off your 500, and you can load up in the Summer before the price climbs in Sept...for Winter.

hmm.. and i pay $11 and some change for 20lb thank fill up. wow..

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That is cheap, the sign @ BJ'S says $17something up in Delaware. 20lb tank holds 4.2 gallons.

dont quote me on that.. im just relying on my degrading memory.. :o

i do have the tri-fuel portable generator.. been meaning to use propane as an option but from my calculation then (8 years ago) it was cheaper to run it on gasoline.. but w/ the gasoline price now.. it may come out even or cheaper.

i believe a 20lb thank only last 4 hours(more or less).

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com/fuel_consumption.htm

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I thought I had made it threw the storm without power loss, till Monday around noon, then during the brutal calm, sunny day the power went out. Got power back around 9:00 pm, we were lucky, some of my neighbors starting 3 houses down are still in the dark. Yesterday I tried to order a 4000 watt propane generator, but after I ordered it I got an e-mail that they are back ordered with no eta on when they will be back in stock. So I ordered this: http://gen7000lp-generator.info/ For now I plan on just getting a couple of the small tanks to keep on hand. Also trying to decide if I want to have an electrician put in a manual connection to my breaker box.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I'm sworn off of these cheap-assed Coleman type generators.

My 6500 watt Coleman was out their chugging merrily away keeping (I thought) my basement dry.

Went down to check on it only to find that, though the engine was working, the generator portion wasn't making any electricity.

We fought the good fight for 4 hours with my hand pump and it got ahead of us and we had to evacuate the basement.

I'm not having this again.

Ordered one of these yesterday:

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/combo_sump_pump.htm

The main pump and battery backup pump are all one unit.

I had water coming in so fast my pump was coming on every 40 seconds. If I had lost power I'd have had a flooded basement before I ever got the generator out of the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom