Did Irene compel you to buy a generator?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you buy a generator this week?

• Yes, I bought a generator

Votes: 26 11.5%
    • No, I already had a generator

Votes: 103 45.6%
    • No, but I wish I had...

Votes: 40 17.7%
    • No, and I still have no intention of buying one

Votes: 57 25.2%

• Total voters

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I"ll be looking at generators that people are selling. I'd like to know if it would be possible to link one of the smaller ones into the circuit panel instead of running extension cords to specific devices. Cut off the circuits that you can't or don't want to power then power up the generator.

A friend of mine installed a 30amp twist receptical outside his house and wired it to his main panel. During an outage he kills the main breaker and hooks the generator up to the outlet and back feed power into the panel. He only keeps the breakers on to the important stuff.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    I've had my genny for like 8 years now. Didn't really need it, because every time my power went out it came right back on after a minute or two. Guess we were lucky, I know a lot of people here in the Phoenix area still have no power yet.

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    If you can't find one in astore try amazon.com. They've got a pretty large selection (no Honda's though). You can get it shipped to your house by tomorrow and no tax.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've had my genny for like 8 years now. Didn't really need it, because every time my power went out it came right back on after a minute or two. Guess we were lucky, I know a lot of people here in the Phoenix area still have no power yet.

I would be one of them with no power...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I hit Harbor Freight Friday, they were out of generators two days before. If they get them in before the coupon expires, they have a small one for $89 and there's a 20% off coupon. I don't want or need to power the whole house, I want something for the fridge and some fans. Power goes out occasionally here, but not for long periods. Dominion Power and the co-op are really good about keeping power going here.

Jim

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Trading in for a larger one. 4000 watts is enough for the fridges, well pump, some lights and hot water (propane fired). It is not enough for HVAC. This storm happens during a really nice time of the year, so we are not sweating or freezing. Actually, it is incredibly nice outside.

But the next storm could be an ice storm. No HVAC means burst pipes and frozen children.

Need more electrons. As I wander around the house guaging power requirements with a flashlight (we are still out of power), I am thinking something in the 25kW range would be nice.

No more guns for me for a while. I have to pay Mark for a Kahr. Then it is generator savings time.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    A friend of mine installed a 30amp twist receptical outside his house and wired it to his main panel. During an outage he kills the main breaker and hooks the generator up to the outlet and back feed power into the panel. He only keeps the breakers on to the important stuff.

Same here. Am back feeding into the main panel. Limited coverage with the wattage we have, but enough for the absolute basics this time of year.

Just don't backfeed the grid. You could kill someone or start a fire.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Trading in for a larger one. 4000 watts is enough for the fridges, well pump, some lights and hot water (propane fired). It is not enough for HVAC. This storm happens during a really nice time of the year, so we are not sweating or freezing. Actually, it is incredibly nice outside.

But the next storm could be an ice storm. No HVAC means burst pipes and frozen children.

They make a furnace fan transfer switch, so you can run the furnace blower off generator power. Or, just go with a whole-house transfer switch; you wont be able to run AC on 4KW, but that's still far more power than necessary to run the furnace and blower for heat, and other necessities like the fridge.

(This assumes you have gas or oil-fired central heat... If you have a heat pump, fuggedaboudit.)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, let's say I wanted to get a whole house natural gas generator (20kw-25kw) at our house near Rockville... can anyone recommend a decently priced place for getting us through the process and wiring everything up? We're Pepco customers, so I'd assume we'll use a Generlink to patch it in.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    We lose power at least a couple times a year (not including the brownouts and 1/2 hour outages), usually no less than 4 or 5 hours up to 36 hours or so. The longer outages are generally in the winter (snow/ice storms). Haven't gotten one yet, my wife is deathly afraid of carbon monoxide poisoning so the portable was ruled out.

I'v wanted a full size Kohler (14 kW Residential Generator) or Generac, but I'd have to go propane as a natural gas conversion (if I could get it) would cost me new appliances on top. Not sure what would cost more the propane tank and setup or natural gas conversion but I think the propane would still be cheaper.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    So, let's say I wanted to get a whole house natural gas generator (20kw-25kw) at our house near Rockville... can anyone recommend a decently priced place for getting us through the process and wiring everything up? We're Pepco customers, so I'd assume we'll use a Generlink to patch it in.

PM sent

localbuyer

Jun 12, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD

I am also interested a natural gas whole house generator at Laurel area. Any one offers special deal for MDS members?

Thanks

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Any Kohler or Generec reps in the AA area, probably won't be pulling the trigger til next spring at the earliest.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

ditto

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

This is how I run mine. But the generator is large enough to run the entire house, even the AC. 8500 peak. Had neighbors ask to run their fridge so I shut off the AC to free up the power for them. They paid for all the fuel we used during this outage, about 20 gallons.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Kelly Generator/Electric in Forestville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom