Deranged Man Arrested in Columbia, at My Parent's Door!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Just a heads up, I got a call from my parents about 11:30 tonight saying "something interesting was going on at the house".

After inquiring about what exactly was going on, my mother told me that a knock came on their door around 10:30 or so and "didn't sound like my knock". So she asked who it was, and all that she could hear was incoherent mumbling and continued, louder knocking. She called 911 and hid in the kitchen with my dad (for some reason) until the police came. They don't keep firearms in their home, so they were essentially defenseless if this man gained entry.

The knocking continued until the police showed up. They apparently all acted very professionally (6 cars with sirens blaring apparently). The dispatcher (very appropriately) asked if there were any weapons in the house so that they could let the responding officers know, and everything went smoothly.

They searched the yard for additional suspects, but none were found. The man couldn't produce any ID, nor did he know where he was, just "not from around here", and was barely coherent. He was all muddied and scraped up, but apparently a VERY large black guy, younger looking with a belly. Since he couldn't produce ID, they handcuffed him and took him in, presumably to ID him, give him a tox screen, and get him whatever help he needed. It's still unclear what his motive was, or why he chose to pick my parent's home (they live in a cul-de-sac with about 7 or 8 other houses).

The odd thing is that I grew up in this home, and NOTHING like this has ever happened before in their neighborhood. It's a rather affluent part of Columbia, but it seems that Jim Rouse's plan is beginning to experience some growing pains with a lot of lower income people moving out of the city.

I guess the moral of the story is to be prepared, have a plan (not hiding in the kitchen is a good start), and don't ever open a door when you don't know who's on the other side.

Also, having a trusted firearm and knowing how to use it helps not only with security, but also with peace of mind. So now I'm here, with my guns (that they don't like) making them feel safer. Funny how that works, and how they're also slowly letting go of their anti-gun stance the more they see that guns really aren't that evil or scary, and it can really make you feel better knowing that there's one close by and someone who is adept at using it present.

I was with my friend who's from out west past Frederick, and he told me that man was lucky he wasn't at a door out there, because he probably wouldn't be in a jail cell right now.

I hope an event like this never happens to any of you, I'm just glad everyone's safe in the end.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone else on this board? What did you end up doing? What was your plan?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why would your friend say that? The guy did nothing deadly.
    Seemed emotionally disturbed. Far from being a crime. Tell your friend to read up on the law and what justified deadly force is.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I was with my friend who's from out west past Frederick, and he told me that man was lucky he wasn't at a door out there, because he probably wouldn't be in a jail cell right now.

Not sure how to take that. He never entered the premise. Shooting a guy through the door would likely lead to charges and jail time for the shooter, no matter how far west of Frederick the shooter lives.

Would be a great idea if your dad and mom considered a home defense strategy that might involve being armed, just in case. I imagine you have had those conversations already.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Not sure how to take that. He never entered the premise. Shooting a guy through the door would likely lead to charges and jail time for the shooter, no matter how far west of Frederick the shooter lives.

Would be a great idea if your dad and mom considered a home defense strategy that might involve being armed, just in case. I imagine you have had those conversations already.

+1 to that! If the person isn't attacking you/someone else, or they haven't forcibly entered the residence, you'll be hard pressed to find a State's Attorney or Grand Jury that won't bring charges. Even in the more conservative parts of this state.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Seemed emotionally disturbed. Far from being a crime. Tell your friend to read up on the law and what justified deadly force is.

Exactly. It would be a shame this were something medical, like diabetic ketoacidosis, a drug reaction etc. It is more likely substance abuse, but significant mental illness can do this as well. If the guy wasn't coherent, it is unlikely he was able to formulate a plan to cause harm. He needed help, and I hope he gets it.

As for why he showed up at your parents door, again.....he is incoherent. Maybe he liked the color? That said, I am glad everyone is safe.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    I'm glad your parents are OK, and they are changing their opinion to embrace firearms.

Regarding your friend...tell him to get some legal training for the use of a firearm. As Blaster said, the guy was only disoriented and did nothing to be a threat.

Gather your family in an ensconced position with firearm, call 911, wait it out.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012

Exacly. IMO, the "personal liability calculator" should be running in your head when you are choosing the course of action or even the next step.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Exactly. It would be a shame this were something medical, like diabetic ketoacidosis, a drug reaction etc. It is more likely substance abuse, but significant mental illness can do this as well. If the guy wasn't coherent, it is unlikely he was able to formulate a plan to cause harm. He needed help, and I hope he gets it.

As for why he showed up at your parents door, again.....he is incoherent. Maybe he liked the color? That said, I am glad everyone is safe.

Mental illness isn't a problem we should be addressing, it's high capacity assault weapons with scary pistol grips and things that go up owned by law abiding citizens!

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County

Could be that they often times open doors out here. If he entered the home against there will, regardless of the cause of irrationality, he may get injured in defense of home.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    the guy was only disoriented and did nothing to be a threat.

Gather your family in an ensconced position with firearm, call 911, wait it out.

If not a threat, why call 911? Persistently louder knocking at 10:30 PM could be perceived as a threat, especially by elderly couple.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If not a threat, why call 911? Persistently louder knocking at 10:30 PM could be perceived as a threat, especially by elderly couple.

Ummm, maybe because the disoriented guy at your door might need medical attention? Are you going to let him die if he is sick? Maybe it is a problem with diabetes, maybe he was in a car accident and has bleeding in his brain.....

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Ummm, maybe because the disoriented guy at your door might need medical attention? Are you going to let him die if he is sick? Maybe it is a problem with diabetes, maybe he was in a car accident and has bleeding in his brain.....

Or maybe the guy, you don't know is disoriented, is a threat.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Or maybe the guy, you don't know is disoriented, is a threat.

Right, that has already been discussed. There are reasons other than someone being a threat that one might consider a call to 911.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010

This isn't a knock on firearms. But why would you think they were unarmed considering they were in a room with sharp implements and almost anything can be used as an improvised weapon.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County

It was less of a comment on what he would do than a comment on what he thought others where he grew up would do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This isn't a knock on firearms. But why would you think they were unarmed considering they were in a room with sharp implements and almost anything can be used as an improvised weapon.

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of your question in relation to my quoted statement. This man was OUTSIDE the house. He was disoriented. He was not a threat being on the other side of the door and not being coherent. I never said anything about anyone being unarmed. Did you quote the wrong post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom