• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, Patrick, I'm pretty sure your deposition wasn't as weird as this one.

Plaintiff was an employee of the Natural History Museum in Washington. He walks to work one day and enters the building through the loading dock. He slips and falls, he thinks on a liquid that leaked from wheeled baskets that were used each morning to remove garbage. He has a third party claim against the company that ran the cafeteria, and my client, the trash company that rolled out the trash.

The other defendant and I deposed the treating doctor, who was big into accupuncture. The other defense lawyer was a woman in her forties, and a complete bundle of nerves. Very driven, very aggressive. The plaintiff was represented by a very nice guy who was an associate in the office. Capable enough, but clearly a placeholder.

There was a lot of arguing among the parties about the scope of the deposition. The lawyers suspended the deposition, and we called the judge for an impromptu ruling. We all returned to the doctor's office, which was little more than a closet with a desk. We sat down and waited for the doctor to come back in.

When the doctor came in to resume the deposition, he had a little box with him. He said to the woman lawyer seated at my left elbow, "You're looking a little tense..." With one fluid motion he swiped her brow with an alcohol swap, pinched the skin and stuck her with a needle. He repeated that procedure about a dozen times, until she looked like the guy in the other thread with the face full of porcupine needles.

That wasn't the most amazing thing. The woman melted like a pat of butter in a hot skillet. She started smiling, and generally acting like she just had two martinis. She started making eyes at the doctor, and he let the plaintiff's lawyer and me know that he was done. After a few more questions, the plaintiff's lawyer, reporter and I were hustled out and the door shut and locked behind us.

I know it's unbelievable, but every word is just as it happened.

That was hilarious. I can just imagine that happening at a deposition. Complete insanity. There are always some good stories in the practice of law.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I am certain the flies on the wall will get an education. I have no doubt you will handle the deposition well, if we can just keep them from stacking the deck against us we will prevail because our cause is just.

Thank you!

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    That was hilarious. I can just imagine that happening at a deposition. Complete insanity. There are always some good stories in the practice of law.

I'm glad you appreciated it. Her client was named first in the suit, and she went first. My questioning of the doctor was after the accupuncture treatment had been administered, and while she was cooing and ogling the good doctor. In my letter to the client, I said it was very difficult to conduct a decent examination while counsel for the co-defendant was sitting there looking very much like a porcupine.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Weather delay until (maybe) next week. I suspect that all the parties were interested in moving things along, but the building was closed by the state. Oops.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Weather delay until (maybe) next week. I suspect that all the parties were interested in moving things along, but the building was closed by the state. Oops.

Thanks for the kind words, all.
    I figured as much.

Either way, I know you'll represent us all well. You always do.

tttttt

And for f*ck sake!
    The State closed offices today just to avoid a deposition. Really people?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom