• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Hi fellas, so this last saturday i went to bassproshop pick a mossberg 930, did paperwork fill and sign documents wait for the background check, and the guy who was doing the sale told me this sale is on hold by the atf....

So wednesday morning i got a call from bassproshop and they informed me that atf cancel/denied the sale because i dont have proof of residence (90 continuos days in my address) when attemp to buy the shotgun i gave the guy my greencard, and last 3 bills from bge, now he said atf said i could by a shotgun after april 12.

HERE MY QUESTION... if i have proof of residence on same address for about a year is there something to appeal or i should just wait until april 12?

Now i know that is my right to appeal if Mspd deny me of buying a handgun and if i dont appeal or find out what the issue was i could get in troubles or can make the adquisition of a gun harder, am i supose to also appeal atf?

Please help because im lost, in the other hand i bought an springfield xdm on february 21st and i was on hold but this time for MSPD so i call cpl Cusimano, and he told me the information that he needed and he said once i fax thse documents that will be all, i faxed the docs today so we will see how long it takes but i just thought tha the proccess of buyin a gun was way simple.....

Thanks fof the time!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Shotgun isn't regulated. He mentioned having a similar issue with a handgun.
    OP ANY chance you've met any of the disqualifying terms for the purchase of a firearm?
    Convicted felon, fugitive from justice, under indictment, user of an illicit drug or habitual drunkard.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I didn't even know a shotgun was regulated. I don't want to look like an idiot but is it because you aren't a citizen of the USA? I only asked this because you mentioned a green card.

He got denied at the NICS check. Nothing to do with regulated/unregulated.

This happened to a friend of mine, twice. I know that he made a couple phone calls and got things straightened out. I'll ask him what offices he called and report back. He is a born and raised US citizen, this stuff happens.

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Thats a very validngood point but the law says that the sale of angun is denied to an unlawful inmigrant, or and non inmigrant alien, and as a permanent resident there is no restriction other that the same for citizens, in any case i would of expect for the authorities like ATF to say there is a problem with your greencard or resident status meaning im not a permanent resident, but they say is because of not comply with the 90 days proof of residence, now i received my residence way over 90 days ago, and i dont mind waiting... but my concern is if being canceled purchase by atf creates any bad record? And if i should or if is ossible to appea, i forgot to mention i sent an email to atf asking to please explain to me what the problem is and why was i denied? So far no response.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I wish one of our "imported" members would read this. I know several people have had to make sure all of their paperwork was OK before buying.

Hornet, I know some non citizens need to have a hunting license in order to legally buy a rifle/shotgun, do you know if you are in that category?

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Good information people. Good luck to you Hornet. Your English is pretty good too. Where are you from? Not trying to be nosey but I like to get a feel for the people here. I was disapointed that you didn't have anything listed under "About me" on your page.

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Shotgun isn't regulated. He mentioned having a similar issue with a handgun.
    OP ANY chance you've met any of the disqualifying terms for the purchase of a firearm?
    Convicted felon, fugitive from justice, under indictment, user of an illicit drug or habitual drunkard.

Well i have in the states 6 years and after dealing with paperwork etc etc, finally got my greencard, never had any trouble with justice, never even 1 ticket, any problem at all, i live in maryland all the time amd in this same house with my wife for 1 year...

The guy at basspro said that atf said i can buy a gun no problem after april 12 and honestly i dont mind waiting at all... i was just concern of any bad record that that cancel could leave....

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Well i have in the states 6 years and after dealing with paperwork etc etc, finally got my greencard, never had any trouble with justice, never even 1 ticket, any problem at all, i live in maryland all the time amd in this same house with my wife for 1 year...

The guy at basspro said that atf said i can buy a gun no problem after april 12 and honestly i dont mind waiting at all... i was just concern of any bad record that that cancel could leave....

Honestly I'd just wait until April 12th. Then try again. Having a "canceled" transaction shouldn't be an issue. Denied is where the trouble begins.

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    As I said, Bass Pro gave you bad info. The FBI does NICS not ATF. The folks at NICS should have given Bass Pro a transaction number and an address for you to use.

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Good information people. Good luck to you Hornet. Your English is pretty good too. Where are you from? Not trying to be nosey but I like to get a feel for the people here. I was disapointed that you didn't have anything listed under "About me" on your page.

Im from Peru i will update my info in my profile , again im from Lima Peru, 30yrs old and i use to shoot idpa, ipsc over there when i was 19 i wasnt really in any high rank on ipsc but i did it just for fun, i also did skeet, sporting clay, etc. Had participate in some competitions organized by peruavian army and police with tactical actions squad (EAT esquadron de acciones tacticas, SUAT sub unidad accines tacticas) thats in spanish

And my english is good because i have 6 years here i came when i was 24 i never studied english and it took me 8 months and a girfriend who speak just english lol.

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

Hope i will get to know you guys through the forum or in the shooting range! Btw i go to on target there is where im buyin the XDM 4.5 9mm. :-)

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Cool deal.

Im from Peru i will update my info in my profile , again im from Lima Peru, 30yrs old and i use to shoot idpa, ipsc over there when i was 19 i wasnt really in any high rank on ipsc but i did it just for fun, i also did skeet, sporting clay, etc. Had participate in some competitions organized by peruavian army and police with tactical actions squad (EAT esquadron de acciones tacticas, SUAT sub unidad accines tacticas) thats in spanish

And my english is good because i have 6 years here i came when i was 24 i never studied english and it took me 8 months and a girfriend who speak just english lol.

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

Hope i will get to know you guys through the forum or in the shooting range! Btw i go to on target there is where im buyin the XDM 4.5 9mm. :-)

Enjoy America it's a nice place. Maryland isn't the most gun friendly State as you probably know. I'm on the other side of town. I think On Target is in Glen Burnie or somewhere down there right?

I've got an XDM 40. Nice piece. A good bit of muzzle flip though and I'm not that good of a shot to begin with.

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    i really love the country, and this state, i havent attempt to buy a gun before i mean in the last 6 years so i dont care waiting but, yeah gun laws here are a bit more complicated, i tried the xdm .40 and i cant be any good as with the 9mm thats why i opt to buy the 9mm cpl Cusimano in charge of the handguns pruchase aprove told me to just send my I485 where says im a permanent resident and copy of my SSN and thats all so hopefully i will be picking up the xdm and go to the range to make up for the last 6 years. Sometimes i go to continental arms in timonium.... usually sundays...

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    He got denied at the NICS check. Nothing to do with regulated/unregulated.

This happened to a friend of mine, twice. I know that he made a couple phone calls and got things straightened out. I'll ask him what offices he called and report back. He is a born and raised US citizen, this stuff happens.

Thanks i will appreciate your help on what the steps are to solve this situation, by law i meet all requirements to buy any kind of handgun, shotgun or rifle...!

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Have you traveled recently to other country? It could be a reason they got your latest date of entry as a reset date for 90 days residency. Happened to friend of mine, he had to wait additional month, it was easier than to find out who can fix it at FBI.

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    I go there.

i really love the country, and this state, i havent attempt to buy a gun before i mean in the last 6 years so i dont care waiting but, yeah gun laws here are a bit more complicated, i tried the xdm .40 and i cant be any good as with the 9mm thats why i opt to buy the 9mm cpl Cusimano in charge of the handguns pruchase aprove told me to just send my I485 where says im a permanent resident and copy of my SSN and thats all so hopefully i will be picking up the xdm and go to the range to make up for the last 6 years. Sometimes i go to continental arms in timonium.... usually sundays...

When you plan to go there, send me a PM a couple days in advance. If my schedule is clear I'd like to shoot with someone that could point out what I could do better.

I also have a Beretta 92FS.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    HERE MY QUESTION... if i have proof of residence on same address for about a year is there something to appeal or i should just wait until april 12?

Little history lesson - if you can figure out the pic you know my background
    The_Germans_to_the_front_2.jpg

Yes, I get put on hold with every purchase and had one initial denial (resolved to permitted).

Here is the deal. The NICS check routinely ticks off the residency requirement by the dates the bills are due by. If you gave them the last three including the one due this month, they or the guys in the shop are calling the wrong dates. Print out an extra month in backlog and get a second bill as a backup just in case one is not enough for the guys in the store.

Yes, you CAN APPEAL.

You need to get the national transaction number (NTN) from your dealer under which the transfer was recorded. Then you write to the FBI that you are being denied erronously, include last 4 months bills and your permanent resident card in the fax and ask for the reason.
    Either they give you a reason and request further info or you will get a message that they are working on it. Expect 2-10 weeks until you get a colorfull page with a green checked box over a handgun that you need to give to your dealer.

Full text:
    Click me, I am the official FBI page on NICS denial appeals

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom