• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Did anyone else catch this part of the Delegates blog?

Another issue which has popped up with several constituents, is the State Police beginning to do back-round checks on those applying for collector status. I raised this issue with the State Police and while they will not confirm it was being done, they have confirmed the back-round checks on those applying for a collector status will not be done in the future and have been halted.

WTF are they halting background checks for DC?

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Did anyone else catch this part of the Delegates blog? WTF are they halting background checks for DC?

Maybe still issuing them but not doing the BG check since some dealers are using that as a litmus that you have been vetted at least once? Sounds like they trying to piss on our bonfire over here...

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    God forbid a gun shop with a large stockpile of regulated firearms gets broken into or an all out day-time assault/robbery by a bunch of hardened criminals takes place.

How would the STATE spin that one?

The STATE would blame the FFL for poor security.
    The PRESS would blame the tea Party.
    The FAR LEFT would blame Bush.

As far as Ready goes, back during the hearings, I emailed a couple of Delegates with some suggestions about amendments. Ready was the only one to respond. He called me to talk about it. :thumbsup:

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    The STATE would blame the FFL for poor security.
    The PRESS would blame the tea Party.
    The FAR LEFT would blame Bush.

As far as Ready goes, back during the hearings, I emailed a couple of Delegates with some suggestions about amendments. Ready was the only one to respond. He called me to talk about it. :thumbsup:

He is a good guy, I met him down at one of the Rallies I went too. Seemed very genuinely concerned and actually acted like he was listening.

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    I have a dumb question; what if Col. Brown just ignores the letter?

It seems like Pro 2A Senators and Delegates are in the minority and I don't see the majority getting worked up over extended wait times for firearms.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Did anyone else catch this part of the Delegates blog?

WTF are they halting background checks for DC?

Background check for DC is redundant. You don't get a waiver on a background check because you're a DC, you get a waiver on the 1 per 30 day rule.

Every firearm purchase still has to go through a background check, and if you fail you don't get the gun regardless of whether you have a DC letter or not.

I've never heard of anyone arguing against a check for collectors (i didn't know they were doing them), but with the current wait times for actual purchases being what they are these checks are not necessary.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Background check for DC is redundant. You don't get a waiver on a background check because you're a DC, you get a waiver on the 1 per 30 day rule.

Every firearm purchase still has to go through a background check, and if you fail you don't get the gun regardless of whether you have a DC letter or not.

I've never heard of anyone arguing against a check for collectors (i didn't know they were doing them), but with the current wait times for actual purchases being what they are these checks are not necessary.

You're right, but that isn't how I read it. I read it to mean they would not being background checks for DC thereby not issuing DC licenses.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and you're right.

Mr H

Banana'd
    You're right, but that isn't how I read it. I read it to mean they would not being background checks for DC thereby not issuing DC licenses.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and you're right.

The way it is written allows for several interpretations, a couple of which no one's mentioned at all.

Not knowing if/how they ever did run background checks for DCs (and how in-depth) is the first piece we really don't know.

Without that, none of what was written makes any sense, IMO.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If they actually would issue a DC to a person who has not purchased a regulated firearm, could one assume the do run a background check? I know there are differing accounts on whether people could recieve a DC status without a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom