• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If I go outside with a firearm, it isn't to protect property, it's to protect my life when I go outside to see what's happening on my property. Now, if a stranger happens to attack me with a deadly weapon, it's game on. It isn't that he shot the guy because he was in the act of stealing property unarmed. He was shot because he attacked the homeowner with a weapon.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    If I go outside with a firearm, it isn't to protect property, it's to protect my life when I go outside to see what's happening on my property. Now, if a stranger happens to attack me with a deadly weapon, it's game on. It isn't that he shot the guy because he was in the act of stealing property unarmed. He was shot because he attacked the homeowner with a weapon.

:thumbsup: Very well said.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

That's exactly what I was trying to convey. You said it a little more succinctly:thumbsup:

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    I would never condemn anyone for protecting their property. In this case the homeowner did something I personally would not have done (that does not mean he was wrong). If I looked through my security camera and saw someone in my truck I would not have picked up my AR-15 and gone outside to investigate. To me that would be an unnecessary escalation. In principal, I get it; no one should have the right to invade my property and steal from me, and don't get me wrong, I would be angry about it. I might feel differently if my vehicle had all my work tools in it and not showing up to the job site on time might cost me my livelihood; I feel lucky that I don't have to worry about that - so I would never condemn anyone if they feel differently. I think this has been a great exchange of thoughts in this thread.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think Blaster's point is he didn't go outside to protect his property. he went outside to investigate and took the firearm in case he needed to defend himself.

He did, and it seems like a good shoot because the perp attacked him. Had he shot the perp without being attacked it would be different.

That isn't what happened.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think Blaster's point is he didn't go outside to protect his property. he went outside to investigate and took the firearm in case he needed to defend himself.

He did, and it seems like a good shoot because the perp attacked him. Had he shot the perp without being attacked it would be different.

That's exactly my point. Now, how the guy's emotion was and what he said afterwards should be reserved and "smart", as to not be construed that he went out to "get the guy".

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Just an FYI, their deputies don't generally engage in law enforcement duties. They're basically courthouse security and serve orders and warrants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

meant Deputy States Attorneys in this particular post. i should have been clearer.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    That's exactly my point. Now, how the guy's emotion was and what he said afterwards should be reserved and "smart", as to not be construed that he went out to "get the guy".

Lets see if he is charged. Lucky he did not kill the teenager...

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

Hopefully, he remains lucky. Being that there are two current sets of charges, charging the POS criminal as an adult (and who knows how many things we cannot see due to being a juvenile)...one of them being a felony use of a firearm, it's unlikely that there will not be some sort of retaliation IMO.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I sure hope it goes OK for the homeowner.
    But I'm left wondering just how stupid does one have to be to attack someone, who is armed with a rifle, WITH A SCREWDRIVER?
    Maybe the thief was hopped up on some substance.
    Geesh.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I sure hope it goes OK for the homeowner.
    But I'm left wondering just how stupid does one have to be to attack someone, who is armed with a rifle, WITH A SCREWDRIVER?
    Maybe the thief was hopped up on some substance.
    Geesh.

Maybe because it was still dark out and the suspect could only see the light from the WML?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Maybe because it was still dark out and the suspect could only see the light from the WML?

THIS. A quality WML/"tactical" flashlight only lets the person on the other end see light. You don't see where its emanating from (aside from over there).Who's controlling it or what its attached too.

Suspect prolly got scared lunged with the screwdriver and got lucky. Homeowner prolly tried to subconsciously to parry the attack and let off a round. A justified round. You see it a lot in force on force. You concentrate on the threat and its immediate area (screwdriver and hand) and get hits there. You'll see a lot of people walking around with red fingers and backsides of hands after a FOF class before they break the habit.

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011

Investigation to me would be going outside when you hear a strange noise or something similar without knowing what is out there. In this case, the homeowner knew what was outside, because he saw the person in his truck through the security camera. He took his AR-15 outside and confronted the person; he would have never been attacked if he would have simply stayed inside. If you know someone is outside in your truck and you grab your rifle, then there has to be some sort of sense that you might have to shoot them, which I personally would not be willing to do over a truck. Legal - that will be for the district attorney to decide, Moral - that would have to depend on a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Investigation to me would be going outside when you hear a strange noise or something similar without knowing what is out there. In this case, the homeowner knew what was outside, because he saw the person in his truck through the security camera. He took his AR-15 outside and confronted the person; he would have never been attacked if he would have simply stayed inside. If you know someone is outside in your truck and you grab your rifle, then there has to be some sort of sense that you might have to shoot them, which I personally would not be willing to do over a truck. Legal - that will be for the district attorney to decide, Moral - that would have to depend on a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.

The states attorney doesn't decide legality. The judge or jury does. I can't imagine a jury of peers nor a judge convicting in this case. Of course no one would want the legal expense of facing charges. I think it is safe to say that you have a right to alert a thief to your presence in the hopes that they discontinue the crime. Doing so unarmed would be foolish. I seriously doubt anyone believes this citizen grabbed the gun hoping he was going to shoot someone. I guess some folks would just rather the vehicle be stolen. I don't fall into that category. I need to work so I can't afford to have my vehicle missing, not even for a few days.

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    The states attorney doesn't decide legality. The judge or jury does. I can't imagine a jury of peers nor a judge convicting in this case. Of course no one would want the legal expense of facing charges. I think it is safe to say that you have a right to alert a thief to your presence in the hopes that they discontinue the crime. Doing so unarmed would be foolish. I seriously doubt anyone believes this citizen grabbed the gun hoping he was going to shoot someone. I guess some folks would just rather the vehicle be stolen. I don't fall into that category. I need to work so I can't afford to have my vehicle missing, not even for a few days.
    I don't believe that he grabbed his gun in the hopes of shooting someone either, his behavior did not indicate that because he ordered the person out his truck. My personal feeling is that if I am going to bring a rifle and confront someone, then I would have to be willing to shoot them with it. At that time it would not be a legal decision, to me it would be a moral decision. I also understand that everyone is different and would never criticize anyone for making a decision I did not necessarily agree with.
    I agree that the state's attorney does not decide legality, he presents his case based on a legal framework, the jury makes a finding based on that legal framework and the judge does the sentencing. The judge also decides legality when going over sentencing. I am glad no one was killed and hopefully everything will work out for the best.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

I think I get where you're coming from: In this scenario, there's no risk of me going to jail if I stay in my house. And there's no risk of the perp being injured or dying if I allow him to steal my property.

Maybe it's a stretch, but this philosophy reminds me of arguments made against LEOs initiating arrests when the use of deadly force is not warranted. When it goes bad there are cries of, "He was killed for speeding." No, he was killed because he resisted arrest and threatened an officer's life. If the perp decides to escalate the situation, it's not the officer's fault when he has to use deadly force against an elevated deadly threat. Similarly, if a thief chooses to attack me on my property, rather than stop or run away, what happens next is not my fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom