• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    I know quite a few farmers in the area. I got put on a crop damage permit to shoot them, sooooooo my question is, is thery're anyone close that would want free deer meat, you'll have to do your own processing, but they will be free. I know my freezer is going to fill up fast and I don't want to see any go to waste, any takers, just pm me, the shooting starts next week.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    And in what corner of the state might this be? Do the get tagged in someone so someone could have them processed commercially?

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    I'll take some and if their is any chance i can get a permit I will gladly help out the farmers.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    And in what corner of the state might this be? Do the get tagged in someone so someone could have them processed commercially?

So Md just in the waldorf area, yep, all street legal with the proper paperwork so they can be taken to a processer. Thanks for looking, its not gonna take long to fill my freezers.

Mike

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    I'll take some and if their is any chance i can get a permit I will gladly help out the farmers.

Hi,

I live in the waldorf area. It took me 12 years to get this guy to let me to shoot there so I can't help you out in that aspect. In the future if everything works out I might be able to squeeze you in but not right now, I just don't want to see any of them go to waste. He already whacked one and just drug it back in the bush, what a waste. Anyway anymore takers.

Mike

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    StaFrosty, I PM'ed you soon after you started the thread, but didn't realize that you were in Waldorf (so will withdraw my request - as arranging for processing, etc at a distance isn't straightforward). I'm sure you'll get plenty of takers - and it's generous of you to put this offer out there. :thumbsup:

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    No problem, maybe I'll quarter something up for you, cooler size, its real easy to butcher them yourself, your call. Hell down here if somebody wants a deer they just cap em out the back door or the porch. Nope not me, DNR man don't play and I'm not looking to lose anything over it, not worth it. Thanks for the reply though.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you have extra, and you are able to, that would be cool. My wife has been bugging me to get some venison (and I got to the point where I did the hunter safety training and got my permit last season ... maybe this year I'll actually make it out).

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    There are still butchers who process deer in the off season. Maybe be benefical to find one local who you could let people know about. Just drop them off there and the exchange is over. It's so hot now they need to be skinned and on ice or refrigerator within a matter of an hour or two.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If you have extra, and you are able to, that would be cool. My wife has been bugging me to get some venison (and I got to the point where I did the hunter safety training and got my permit last season ... maybe this year I'll actually make it out).

Your local to me...if you get them quartered, I can show you how to finish the rest.

I actually might take some meat as well, maybe we can do a joint thing?

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'll take one. I process them all myself so if anybody else wants one and you can shoot 2 or 3 at a time that would be ideal if people want to come process them with me. I live in St. Mary's. I'll more than likely just backstrap it and grind everything else.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    It seems like for the last 4-5 years the deer population in SOMD is exploding. Either the hunters skill level is getting worse or the deer are breeding more. I am in Calvert and have deer strolling the neighborhood at dusk, walking through my back yard, grazing in the front yard. My wife got a picture recently of 6 good sized animals grazing in an almost straight row just over my fence. I take my dogs out in the morning before departing for work. Have had to get in the habit of carrying a flashlight so I don't get run over when the deer realize that they are not alone in my backyard. Seems as soon as first sign of fall, the slaughter of deer goes up on Rt.4.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    It seems like for the last 4-5 years the deer population in SOMD is exploding. Either the hunters skill level is getting worse or the deer are breeding more. I am in Calvert and have deer strolling the neighborhood at dusk, walking through my back yard, grazing in the front yard. My wife got a picture recently of 6 good sized animals grazing in an almost straight row just over my fence. I take my dogs out in the morning before departing for work. Have had to get in the habit of carrying a flashlight so I don't get run over when the deer realize that they are not alone in my backyard. Seems as soon as first sign of fall, the slaughter of deer goes up on Rt.4.

The problem is access to hunting property. The deer are in your neighborhood because they have food, water and shelter from predators (hunters). I hunt some neighborhoods in SMC and shoot from 6-8 every year out of them but that is nowhere near enough to keep the numbers flat or decrease them. I see herds that number over 30 or 40 on a regular basis. Until a program is started like in VA that matches hunters with property owners and allows them to hunt year round on a permit basis the numbers will continue to rise.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    kstone803, if you get an extra one, and could show me how to process, I'm in. In St. Mary's as well, and just got a new house with a big empty freezer.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    kstone803, if you get an extra one, and could show me how to process, I'm in. In St. Mary's as well, and just got a new house with a big empty freezer.

Sure. We'll have to see what he says about possibly getting 2 or more at a time. I've got a grinder and all the necessary knives, saws, hooks and such for skinning/quartering. Only thing you would need to bring is saran wrap and freezer bags. I don't do the vacuum sealing anymore, it's a waste of time.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    yall are gonna need a lot of ice and big coolers to get the temperature of the meet down quick enough to keep it from spoiling. if you can quickly skin and quarter them and submerge them in ice or ice water you should be ok. or a walk in is even better, if you get them in quickly.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Stone- I'd be in to help you process...just give me a shout. Wouldn't mind learning, and would mind making some jerky either haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom