• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bourbonstamps

Dec 23, 2015
    O'malley drops out of presidential race because no one likes him and now his ******** law is being broken in the courts. twas a good week.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Strict scrutiny is the opposite of "Guns are bad cause the government says so, m'kay?"

The state must show a compelling interest (easy in this case) but it also but show that the law is narrowly tailored, and that there is no less restrictive way to accomplish the government's interest.

Those parts are hard. This is setting up to be a big case now, and a prime example of why you must have the money to go all the way. This case could establish SS as the standard of review for 2A claims, which would be HUGE because it would place 2A claims on the same level as 1A claims.

Good summary. Strict scrutiny has always been the holy grail of 2A litigation. This is wonderful.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Maybe Frosh will let it ride then. If he goes all in and loses the anti-gunners would lose more(nationally) than we would in MD.

I dont think that the SCT will take this, because it's only being sent back for another trial. They have the option of waiting until after the retrial and more facts are developed. The 4 liberals are just as worried about Kennedy.

The question is whether Frosh seeks en banc. Asking seems likely, granting seems unlikely. All they lose by appealing is time, and I do not think they are in a hurry for trial.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I dont think that the SCT will take this, because it's only being sent back for another trial. They have the option of waiting until after the retrial and more facts are developed. The 4 liberals are just as worried about Kennedy.

The question is whether Frosh seeks en banc. Asking seems likely, granting seems unlikely. All they lose by appealing is time, and I do not think they are in a hurry for trial.

Someone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm off on this...

Since it's a remand, I didn't think an appeal en banc would be an option??!!

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    For those interested in looking for a meaningful statement to express to their delegates in regards to current and future MD firearm legislation, I present this quote from the opinion. (pg. 45 of 90)

Our distinguished dissenting colleague asserts that we have imprudently and unnecessarily broken with our sister courts of appeal and infers that we will bear some responsibility for future mass shootings. In our view, inferences of this nature have no place in judicial opinions and we will not respond beyond noting this. The meaning of the Constitution does not depend on a popular vote of the circuits and it is neither improper nor imprudent for us to disagree with the other circuits addressing this issue. We are not a rubber stamp. We require strict scrutiny here not because it aligns with our personal policy preferences but because we believe it is compelled by the law set out in Heller and Chester.

:D

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Someone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm off on this...

Since it's a remand, I didn't think an appeal en banc would be an option??!!

It is an option, if only because it created a circuit conflict in the applicable standard of review. But it is *much* less of an option because it is a mere remand, and thus not a conflict in the actual holdings. Frosh has a *big* problem.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    For those interested in looking for a meaningful statement to express to their delegates in regards to current and future MD firearm legislation, I present this quote from the opinion. (pg. 45 of 90)

Our distinguished dissenting colleague asserts that we have imprudently and unnecessarily broken with our sister courts of appeal and infers that we will bear some responsibility for future mass shootings. In our view, inferences of this nature have no place in judicial opinions and we will not respond beyond noting this. The meaning of the Constitution does not depend on a popular vote of the circuits and it is neither improper nor imprudent for us to disagree with the other circuits addressing this issue. We are not a rubber stamp. We require strict scrutiny here not because it aligns with our personal policy preferences but because we believe it is compelled by the law set out in Heller and Chester.

:D

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom