• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Cheap. Same league as Tasco and Barska. Other folks have made an excellent recommendation for Nikon. Nikon is in a different league for not much more. My suggestion is to get the lowest magnification you can tolerate with the best glass. Don't compromise the glass for magnification, since it's a losing formula. Another option for maximum value if tolerable is a fixed magnification scope with nice glass.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The Nikon P223s are less than $200, for the price they are a pretty good value. I have one on a Black Rain Ordnance build, except for the size of the BDC circles on the reticle I'm happy with it.

63868e0c.jpg

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Your better off spending more on optics than buying a stock. You should not have to justify to yourself spending as much on optics as you did on the gun. The scope should be just as good if not better quality than the rifle itself. You wouldn't put Wal-Mart tires on a Ferrari ?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i know folks have budgets to live within, but i hate seeing guys with decent and capable rifles just go el cheapo on scopes. trigger and scope, at least for me, are the keys to longer range shooting.

that said, nikon has been a great deal for the money. leupold is good too. no input on the other lower-cost options.

i realize guys shoot out to 1000 yards with open sights, and 10x scopes and the like, but my eyes just ain't good enough with either at those distances. i'd suggest you actually look thru a few scopes of different magnifications at "targets" at the distances you want to shoot (look out a window or other side of store, etc) to see what will be acceptable to you.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    why did you buy an sps tactical when you could have spent a lot less on a stevens 200?

the same applies to glass.

you'll learn eventually.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    why did you buy an sps tactical when you could have spent a lot less on a stevens 200?

the same applies to glass.

you'll learn eventually.

Wow you have thought me so much what else could I learn especially from such a knowledgeable guy like you . Lol just kidding thanks for the advise.:D

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Wow you have thought me so much what else could I learn especially from such a knowledgeable guy like you.

How not to be a dick to the people that are trying to help you.

Just because it's not the answer you WANT, doesn't mean it's not intended to help you. But it's obvious you don't want any help, so you go right ahead and enjoy your Tasco. :thumbsup:

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    Hey man I was joking sorry if I offended you I agree with you but I do not have the money to buy a scope of that price. Nikon, vortex, and Redfield all look promising.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I ran a bushnell banner 4-12 on a 15moa base for a while on my sps and it did just fine for the basic 100-200 yard plinking. My eyes aren't great so I wanted to add magnification and upgrade a bit. Went vortex viper and been thrilled this far. Good luck on your search.

Ryan

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I picked up a Sightmark 4-16x44 Triple Duty Riflescope for an AR build at the York show for $180 and I'm impressed so far. Only shot about 50 rounds with it so far so I can't comment on the durability yet.

tommygun4hire

Feb 21, 2012
    Salisbury MD.
    centerpoint for $69 at walmart has been on my h-bar for 2 years now and it will do great at 300 yrds but that is all the longer my range is.
    i also have a pentax i purchased for 129 and it has been on the 243 with no trouble for over a year.
    the centerpoint was something i only planed on useing for a short time until i raised a few more bucks for the leupold i was looking at and i ended up loving the damn thing with no plans to upgrade it anymore
    goodluck tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom