• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Just looked, No mag and the original style top cover is a Yugo 59/66 cover. I do have two Norinco scope mount covers like these, but you said you want a original style

350jxo1.jpg

Yessir, still, thanks a ton for looking though :bowdown: . Yah she already has the scoped cover, looking to pull that off and go back to smooth.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Looking firward to seeing how the project evolves and handles. Don't let the naysayers and judgementals get you down, they're not exactly running original M16 contigurations.

That's because not all of us were issued original M16's. :lol2:

M4_zpsd2234396.jpg

Granted, I don't have an ACOG or the clip-on thermal that's in front of it, but yeah. Still a decent clone of my issued rifle.

IMG_0526.jpg

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Looking firward to seeing how the project evolves and handles. Don't let the naysayers and judgementals get you down, they're not exactly running original M16 contigurations.

Not even worried about it in the least my good man. I'll soldier on with whatever decision I make and be happy with my rifle. Taking it out of the setup its currently in because why have it try to be a "cool" tactical knockoff when I have my AR's and what not for that. But also wouldnt mind a stock that fits everyone a little better while still looking close to original. But yes, as I said before, if this were say an original russian or an albanian model then it would never leave its original factory configuration.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a Romanian built SKS several years ago. About a 4" gun or a little better a football field away. Had a commercial Nork several years before that. Big yawn there. The length of pull was a little short but I got used to it. So your thread has me curious to see how you like it.

I liked the SKS because for its length it almost feels like a bigger rifle while firing it. Kinda regret getting rid of the Romanian but I had a 1911 to finish building.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    I remember the short LOP not being too terrible, but definitely prefer it slightly longer. Still waffling back and forth as to what Im gonna go with of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    The "new" magazine came in today. Got lucky and found one for 30 on ebay. Will install and order the replacement stock, receiver cover and tech sight on sunday when I get back from camping at Hershey this weekend. Should come together pretty quick.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Alrighty, all the parts are in as of this morning. Decided on the wood stock for pure simplicity sake. On an upside David's Collectibles sent me a very very good looking stock. Only downside is its the type with the side sling swivel(I fire lefty). Also got the replacement receiver cover and cover retaining lever(for some reason I have a bizarrely long cross pin in there now). Will update with pics of everything complete and together, want to completely tear down and clean everything up and check all function before I install and dont have that kind of time before work lol.
    Here's the before:

and the new parts:

Jul 23, 2013
    Very nice. I prefer to stay as close to stock as well.

Finally got the SKS out on the range with my new upgrades and felt the recoil buffer really made a nice difference. I'd recommend that.

I have the Murray's spring loaded firing pin that some on here say is a waste of money. I didn't have an issue with it yet but Murray's shipping two springs tell me their are some validity in the claims here that it's better to save $40 and keep firing pin assembly clean.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    No worries, when you have owned 30 SKS rifles in the past, you end up with some parts laying around. :lol2:

Wouldn't happen to have an original gas tube for a yugo sks would ya? I did the Tapco stock "downgrade" about 10 years and then 5 years ago came to my senses and put her all back to original...except I can't find the original gas tube :( The Tapco one is matte finish. My Yugo was a "hand picked" one with matching numbers...if that even matters.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have a fixed mag and some original parts(bayo lug) if anyone is looking. Sorry OP I didnt see you post sooner.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Make certain your stock was not designed for a pinned barrel.

Lots of them floating around and the sellers don't mention it unless the buyer asks.

A screwed in barrel will never ever go into a pinned style stock.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Make certain your stock was not designed for a pinned barrel.

Lots of them floating around and the sellers don't mention it unless the buyer asks.

A screwed in barrel will never ever go into a pinned style stock.

Mine has a pinned barrel. Still gonna require a smidge of fitting though. Damn cross bolt is hitting just shy of its mark keeping everything from coming together.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Well, finally got the stock fitted to the receiver. Requires a bit of file work, but the fit is super tight at least. Just have to get a better pin for the new receiver cover latch(comes with a solid pin and feel a roll pin would be alot easier to get installed...unless anyone has done the solid pin and has suggestions lol) and that'll be just about it.

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    Tech site on the rear is nice. Only draw back to it is take down is slightly more difficult having to undo a screw instead of just popping a pin out. Big improvement over the original rear site and really the only improvement it needs. The weapon itself isn't getting more accurate but you will be able to be more accurate around the 100-150m range. If you want a slightly longer stock find a Yugo stock. They were slightly longer and had that rubber stock extension on the butt. You can replace it with a thicker one that looks original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom