• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktejsmom

Jan 28, 2010
    My daughter got her first rifle for Christmas this year from her grandparents. She's excited to learn and was so shocked by her gift! She was completely surprised!! Now just to find the right place to take her!

Attachments

• ka rifle.jpg
      ka rifle.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 354

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    Look like one of the Henry survival rifles, I have wanted one for a longtime, but always seem to get 'stuck' buying some other flashier gun.

Ditto on proper stance drilling early, I have to my ol' lady everytime she loads another mag!!

John

ktejsmom

Jan 28, 2010
    It is a Henry Survival! She does need to learn proper stance!! It was her first time holding it and that's when I snapped the picture. What you don't see is the hubby standing behind her trying to explain to her how to hold it and how to stand. LOL!

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    It is a Henry Survival! She does need to learn proper stance!! It was her first time holding it and that's when I snapped the picture. What you don't see is the hubby standing behind her trying to explain to her how to hold it and how to stand. LOL!

Yeah I'm not in the picture, but was telling her to square up more and don't lean back. I think the stock on it is just a little to long for her and that is why she looks a little awkward.

My dad (the old guy in the pic) was going to get my one nephew one since he said he liked the AR7 (the survival rifle). Then dad thought he'd get one for my step son, and before you know it he bought 4 for all the oldest grand-kids.

Oh if any one is looking for one, Gun Connection has one on their shelf! I was in there on Friday doing a transfer and noticed they had another AR7.:thumbsup:

Bertha

Aug 15, 2011
    That is a great gift. I'm looking forward to when my daughter is old enough to shoot.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    The whole family is looking forward to getting out to the range. I suggested Freestate because my dad doesn't want to be out in the cold (he's 74). Do they have stools for the kids to use if they want to shoot like at a bench rest?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    She appears to be using her left eye for sighting. OP, you may want to test her for eye dominance (left or right). If left eye dominant or not, try getting her used to utilizing the right eye for sighting, as this should help. If caught, corrected, and trained early enough, the right hand and right eye combination could become the instinctive way for her. Just a thought.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    She appears to be using her left eye for sighting. OP, you may want to test her for eye dominance (left or right). If left eye dominant or not, try getting her used to utilizing the right eye for sighting, as this should help. If caught, corrected, and trained early enough, the right hand and right eye combination could become the instinctive way for her. Just a thought.

We will definitely check her for that. Like you said, catch it now and train her out of it.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    We will definitely check her for that. Like you said, catch it now and train her out of it.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Glad to help.:D I know this can become somewhat of a problem as I've trained many people over the decades and "cross dominance" is certainly not condusive, well at least more difficult, when it comes to good positions and good shooting skills.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I think that stance is a female thing. My girlfriend did exactly the same thing her first time shooting. The really odd thing is that she was holding a pistol lol. Should be easy enough to train out the bad habits though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom