Damaged Slide from Gunsmith... any options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brian3b

Mar 14, 2009
    Just got my XD-M 40 Cal (stainless slide) back from the gunsmith and noticed the slide is scuffed and dinged in a few different places... from removing/installing the front sites and it looks like from having it in a vice...

It's a brand new gun, not sure what to do. How can I get it repaired? Will Springfield be able to fix it? Will they fix it? Thanks for the help! Any info would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Welcome to the madness, Brian.

You've got a sticky problem there. Who's the registered owner? Basically, he/she needs to raise Hell with the gunsmith, that sort of sloppy work is not acceptable. If I were Springfield and got this with that story, I'd replace it for full price and tell you to be more careful next time about finding a 'smith who isn't a clumsy, ignorant fool.

Sunshine is the best disinfectant. I got money back from a so-called gunsmith who screwed up a shotgun. I got on the forum where he hung out and just told the facts, no histrionics. Turned out he'd messed up at least six other people's guns. We kept up the pressure and he caved after trying to throw us off by pretending to be his assistant and that he was seriously ill, blah blah blah. I got most of my money back and he hasn't posted under that name since, about three plus years ago now.

ripper157

Feb 20, 2008
    Carroll County
    Before you get ahead of yourself, I would just try asking the smith what they can do to help. Be polite, that usually gets the best results. I’m sure they don’t want to see your slide messed up any more than you do. Good luck!

-ripper

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Before you get ahead of yourself, I would just try asking the smith what they can do to help. Be polite, that usually gets the best results. I’m sure they don’t want to see your slide messed up any more than you do. Good luck!

-ripper

Agreed. Give him the chance to make it right.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Didn't he have the chance to make it right before it left his shop ?

Yes, he should have noticed the damage before it left his shop. No disagreement there. That said, I will always give someone a chance to correct their mistakes once before I take another avenue. It sounds like sloppy work to me and would likely make me reluctant to do buisness there again, but I would let him try to make it right.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Yes, he should have noticed the damage before it left his shop. No disagreement there. That said, I will always give someone a chance to correct their mistakes once before I take another avenue. It sounds like sloppy work to me and would likely make me reluctant to do buisness there again, but I would let him try to make it right.

Agreed. My assumption was the guy already confronted the gunsmith and was told to pound sand.

brian3b

Mar 14, 2009
    Agreed. My assumption was the guy already confronted the gunsmith and was told to pound sand.

No I have not confronted him yet... just got it back (along with two others, 1 slightly damaged) yesterday evening. After closely looking at them this morning, I feel like my guns shouldn't be damaged they way they were. I'll call him and let him know and see if he will make it right before I pursue a different route. Thanks for all the info!

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I wouldn't call. I'd walk in and do it face to face. That way it will be harder for him to deny as it is right there in his face and he can't come up with an excuse to end the conversation. Also, this way there could be other customers present and he will not want to turn them all away or make a scene so he will more easily right the situation.

T-Bone

Mar 23, 2009
    Frederick/Germantown area
    Absolutely dude, go in face to face with the damaged gun/s. 'Nicks' & scrapes on the slide don't sound like something that can be fixed--replaced yes but fixed? You may be able to buff out a scratch but not a nick or gouge from a vice. Thats plain careless man. Has he done any work for you before? Is he a reasonable sort or one of those guys who knows everything and then some? :) Good luck! T

brian3b

Mar 14, 2009
    Absolutely dude, go in face to face with the damaged gun/s. 'Nicks' & scrapes on the slide don't sound like something that can be fixed--replaced yes but fixed? You may be able to buff out a scratch but not a nick or gouge from a vice. Thats plain careless man. Has he done any work for you before? Is he a reasonable sort or one of those guys who knows everything and then some? :) Good luck! T

Never had any work done before, but THREE local gun stores recommended him. I'm not sure what kind of guy he is, but I guess I'm about to find out!!

brian3b

Mar 14, 2009
    I wouldn't call. I'd walk in and do it face to face. That way it will be harder for him to deny as it is right there in his face and he can't come up with an excuse to end the conversation. Also, this way there could be other customers present and he will not want to turn them all away or make a scene so he will more easily right the situation.

Not sure a "face-to-face" would go over like that since he works out of his shed in his backyard. He was recommended by three local stores though - I guess I figured he was good... and he may very well be a great gunsmith, i don't know... I guess I just don't feel like my gun should be F-ed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom