• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    Anyone own one of these rifles or have any experience with one? I've been on the hunt for a nice bolt action .22 but AIMSURPLUS has been sitting on these VZ-24s for some time now.

I've always lusted after milsurp bolt action rifles and the VZ-24s look to be in better shape than the Mosins that I've seen both online at at gunshops. Never seen a VZ in real life.

I'm already sitting on some 8mm ammo that I found in a vacated apartment I was managing (I usually only find empty heroin bags, so this was a big score!) Not that I would let that influence my purchase, but it doesn't hurt to be a step ahead.

I've tried searching and usually find references to the K98 when people are discussing 8mm Mauser rifles.

Any experiences, advice, opinions are appreciated. At $210 plus FFL, I can afford both a bolt action .22 to learn on, a VZ-24 to "readjust" my shoulder once I become a man with the .22.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I've got one picked up at the last Chantilly show, but it needs a new bolt. The cocking piece doesn't extend far enough to engage the safety, it closes on a no-go gauge, and the extractor won't engage a headspace gauge or any other round, fired case, etc. properly.

So sadly, it hasn't been fired yet. But it has the original crest on the receiver ring, which is rare enough in and of itself that I don't mind the drawbacks. The price was very fair, and a new bolt isn't *THAT* expensive. I've got my eye on a few commercial-production bolts (FN, Rem 798, etc) on gunbroker. It's eventually going to end up as an open-sighted 7x57 "Man Licker" for my wife, as she's of Czech descent.

mauser_crest.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you already have more than three or four rounds of 8mm, then I think you're pretty much obligated to get some sort of 8mm rifle (I think it's in the fine print of the MDS forum rules), and a VZ24 could be a good choice. A Mauser is a much better rifle than a Mosin, and the VZ24s are first class Mausers, or they were when they left the factory. You just want a decent one (proper headspace, good bore, etc.).

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Got any more pictures of that sweet young thing?

I've got one picked up at the last Chantilly show, but it needs a new bolt. The cocking piece doesn't extend far enough to engage the safety, it closes on a no-go gauge, and the extractor won't engage a headspace gauge or any other round, fired case, etc. properly.

So sadly, it hasn't been fired yet. But it has the original crest on the receiver ring, which is rare enough in and of itself that I don't mind the drawbacks. The price was very fair, and a new bolt isn't *THAT* expensive. I've got my eye on a few commercial-production bolts (FN, Rem 798, etc) on gunbroker. It's eventually going to end up as an open-sighted 7x57 "Man Licker" for my wife, as she's of Czech descent.

mauser_crest.jpg

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Not at the moment, but I can get some this evening.

My wife has a client on her massage table, which happens to be where I plan on taking pics. :)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Anyone own one of these rifles or have any experience with one? I've been on the hunt for a nice bolt action .22 but AIMSURPLUS has been sitting on these VZ-24s for some time now.

I've always lusted after milsurp bolt action rifles and the VZ-24s look to be in better shape than the Mosins that I've seen both online at at gunshops. Never seen a VZ in real life.

I'm already sitting on some 8mm ammo that I found in a vacated apartment I was managing (I usually only find empty heroin bags, so this was a big score!) Not that I would let that influence my purchase, but it doesn't hurt to be a step ahead.

I've tried searching and usually find references to the K98 when people are discussing 8mm Mauser rifles.

Any experiences, advice, opinions are appreciated. At $210 plus FFL, I can afford both a bolt action .22 to learn on, a VZ-24 to "readjust" my shoulder once I become a man with the .22.

I own one of the "rougher" ones before AIM was selling the nicer ones, and even my thrashed $140 Vz.24 is a really great shooter. Much smoother than my inexpensive Mosin.

Mark

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My father just ordered a SAMCO, I have one from the gunshow downstairs.

AIM has the crest ground off, not a big deal for a shooter but there are so many available with the crest why compromise?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    the crest is the only reason i'm leaving the wife's build open-sights.

can't bring myself to molest it with holes and then cover it all up.

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    If you already have more than three or four rounds of 8mm, then I think you're pretty much obligated to get some sort of 8mm rifle (I think it's in the fine print of the MDS forum rules), and a VZ24 could be a good choice.

Haha, thats what I want to hear. Are the VZ-24s common enough that I might find one locally? Last time I was at Just Guns in Parkville I looked around and they had a few Mausers but they looked pretty rough book.

How much value is "lost" in when the Crest is removed? My purpose in buying one would be to shoot it, but if I can score an unmolested one would I be significantly better off down the road? (In terms of saleability, value, etc)

Armed, your Crest looks awesome. Of all the research I've done, yours is one of the most distinguishable crests I've seen.

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've got a Vz-24 and an Israeli Mauser with the Czech crest. I can definitely say I bought both rifles when I ran across them because of the crest (even with the Israeli one having a "hack" across the center).

You may not get alot more but I'd wager it would move faster with the crest if you try to sell it.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I've had my eye on those czech vz-24's at AIM and have been meaning to start a thread. I would like one with the crest in tact however. Are ALL of the AIM vz24s going to have it removed or just some? Where can I find one with the crest?

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    I've had my eye on those czech vz-24's at AIM and have been meaning to start a thread. I would like one with the crest in tact however. Are ALL of the AIM vz24s going to have it removed or just some? Where can I find one with the crest?

i ordered one from aim. even with the crest scrubbed they sound like they are in real nice shape:thumbsup: My new czech lover left New Stanton, Pa about an hour ago headed my way:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom