• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    It's probably far too early for me to start thinking about this since I just mailed my application yesterday.

Does anyone have any insight, guessitmates, hypothesis about the near term cost and availability of the CZ-82 and the TTC Tokarev?

I'd like to get them both eventually, but my budget will allow for only one, and I must make some sort of purchase to break in my C&R when/if it arrives...

I figured if anyone had good reason to suspect that one will become less available and therefore more expensive in the near future - I should probably go for that one first. Or, if there is something that is already getting rare that I should grab if I find a good deal - I'm open for suggestions.

At the moment, both JG and SOG have both in stock at around $200...

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Go with the CZ82 because they were only made in one country for about ten years and there will be a sudden end to their availability someday whereas the Tokarev was copied in many countries and was made for decades (a version is still made actually) and will likely be comming into this country in batches for a long time to come.

Or at least this is just my guess.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Go with the CZ82 because they were only made in one country for about ten years and there will be a sudden end to their availability someday whereas the Tokarev was copied in many countries and was made for decades (a version is still made actually) and will likely be comming into this country in batches for a long time to come.

Or at least this is just my guess.

Thanks novus!
    This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I presume that's the reason why I see a lot of talk in older threads about the CZ-52, but don't see them for sale at the big distributors like SOG, JG and Century?

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Don't go by what SOG has in the catalog or online, the only way to know for sure with them is to call.

Thats a bummer - from what I've been able to see on their website I was thinking that they always had good availability - but now I know better.

I suppose it's better to find out now than to get all pumped to buy something from them when I get my C&R and find out that they're out of stock when I try to make that first order...

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think Novus is right. Plus the CZ82 is a more modern gun and frankly a much more practical design. Not that I don't like my Tokarevs, the CZ is just much more modern.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thanks novus!
    This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I presume that's the reason why I see a lot of talk in older threads about the CZ-52, but don't see them for sale at the big distributors like SOG, JG and Century?

Yup, I made the same prediction about the CZ52 suddenly dissappearing from the distributors because of the limitted production (produced for two to four years I believe) and it looks like I was right. Of course though it took years for my prediction to come true and the CZ82 might be around in large numbers for many years to come, but I aint chancing it and getting a second one before the end of the year.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    I recently bought a SOG CZ-82 and it was in excellent condition. Nonetheless, I still shop around and look at all of the online wholesalers as well as online auctions. K31s seem to be cheaper on www.gunbroker.com at the moment.

I will certainly shop around - but I think I'm more inclined to purchase from a big wholesaler for my first couple times...
    So, I'm glad to hear that the SOG CZ was in excellent shape - hopefully their inventory of nice ones will hold out long enough.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    My CZ-82 came from AIM almost a year ago and it was in excellent condition, but I haven't seen any for sale on AIM lately (granted my work just started blocking almost all gun sites a month or so ago :mad54: ).

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    I think Novus is right. Plus the CZ82 is a more modern gun and frankly a much more practical design. Not that I don't like my Tokarevs, the CZ is just much more modern.

I do like the modern aspect of the CZ and the 12+1 that novus just mentioned...

Also, I seem to recall reading a post from someone who thought the CZ82 was probably worth twice as much as it's currently being sold for. I presume he was meaning in build quality it is equavalent to a newly manufactured $400 pistol...

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I do like the modern aspect of the CZ and the 12+1 that novus just mentioned...

Also, I seem to recall reading a post from someone who thought the CZ82 was probably worth twice as much as it's currently being sold for. I presume he was meaning in build quality it is equavalent to a newly manufactured $400 pistol...
    That was me actually.

THe CZ82 is totally identical to a 9x18 CZ83 except for the barrell rifling. A NIB CZ83 is going for over $400 on Gunbroker and I think I saw retaliers selling them new for over $400 too. I think the CZ83 is still manufactured.

By the way, I believe all the parts of the CZ82 are interchangeable with a .380 CZ83 and I think you can put the CZ83 barrel and the CZ83 slide on a CZ82 and fire .380 out of it using the same magazine. So except for hte barrel and maybe the slide because of the breechface, you wil have plenty of spare parts long available long after the gun dissappears from the market.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    That was me actually.
    I should've realized that...
    I'm learning that you are a wealth of info.

THe CZ82 is totally identical to a 9x18 CZ83 except for the barrell rifling. A NIB CZ83 is going for over $400 on Gunbroker and I think I saw retaliers selling them new for over $400 too. I think the CZ83 is still manufactured.
    So, clearly a bargain no matter how you look at it.

By the way, I believe all the parts of the CZ82 are interchangeable with a .380 CZ83 and I think you can put the CZ83 barrel and the CZ83 slide on a CZ82 and fire .380 out of it using the same magazine. So except for hte barrel and maybe the slide because of the breechface, you wil have plenty of spare parts long available long after the gun dissappears from the market.

Ok, ok, I think you've talked me into it.:D
    Someone would have to make an awfully strong case for me to consider anything else at this point.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I should've realized that...
    I'm learning that you are a wealth of info.

So, clearly a bargain no matter how you look at it.

Ok, ok, I think you've talked me into it.:D
    Someone would have to make an awfully strong case for me to consider anything else at this point.
    I forgot to add something, the commercial 9mm Makarov is not only plentiful online, but it is also one of the few rounds of ammo that did not spike up in price. Six months ago and even now you can buy Russian (I think) made Silver Bear 9mm Mak for less than ten dollars a box of 50.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    I forgot to add something, the commercial 9mm Makarov is not only plentiful online, but it is also one of the few rounds of ammo that did not spike up in price. Six months ago and even now you can buy Russian (I think) made Silver Bear 9mm Mak for less than ten dollars a box of 50.

I like the sound of that.
    But now I'm probably going to open up a big debate amongst folks - I seem to recall that the "Bear" ammo has a similar love it/hate it following to the "Wolf" ammo.

:::: running off to the search tool to find one of the discussions

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Ok - so after poking around the forums a bit - It appears that it is more liked than the Wolf - but still complaints about funny smell (no big deal) steel casings (I'm not smart enough to know if it's a big deal) and laquer coatings (sounds like a PITA to clean) - but realistically, it's probably exactly like the ammo that the gun was built to use and/or what was used in it when it was in military service...

I think I'll have plenty of time to read up on those issues before I have to worry about it...

sergey

Dec 25, 2008
    the bear is good stuff. Plus wolf 9x18 jams my CZ82. I think that it must be because of the conical shape of the wolf bullet, as opposed to the conventionally shaped bear.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    the bear is good stuff. Plus wolf 9x18 jams my CZ82. I think that it must be because of the conical shape of the wolf bullet, as opposed to the conventionally shaped bear.

brown bear and barnual, russian made and very nice in a cz-82 :thumbsup:

Thanks. Thats good to know - anything special about cleanup after firing it? or you can just tell me to go find it in the forums if you think/know it's been discussed at length.

Maybe I should start shopping the price now so I can have a nice stockpile once I can order the CZ.

I understand that Brownells and Midway offer discounts for C&R holders (although I don't know if Midway discounts ammo)- is there any reason for me to wait until I get my C&R to buy ammo?

I don't think Midway carries Bear anyhow, but I was wondering if there was anyplace else, or should I just shop everywhere for price and buy it when and where it looks like a good deal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom