• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone ownes or has experiance with the CZ 75 9mm. This would be my first larger caliber handgun above a .22. Threads online so far give it great reviews and deam it as a awsome secret, saying that alot of shope/dealers don't sell them. any input on these models versus say a Glock.

Thanks!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    EXCELLENT PISTOL!!! I have the CZ75 SP Tactical 9mm. its very accurate and you can get 19 rd mags for it. very smooth trigger pull

It reliable too....just heavier its steel where the glock is poly.

BTW....welcome

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    At one point they could not be sold in the US, due to sanctions the US had against Czechoslovakia. (US vs Commie country) The design is interesting. A 9x19 caliber gun built by a then Communist country. The original design also allowed for the gun to be carried cocked and locked.

Back in 2002 a distributor had a bunch of military contract over run 75B models that were being sold for around $325 each. I got one, wish I bought a few more for storage.

I doubt you will find a 75 at a rental range, that is a shame. Excellent gun. As noted, heavier than a Glock. Which is better.... can't tell that. Both will give you great service. CZ has a service and parts facility in the Midwest, Kansas City I think, so getting parts or warranty work is not an issue. They have a custom shop there too.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The modern CZ 75B and variants are very nice handguns. They are available in a wide variety of styles from compacts to heavy target models.

You can get SA only on a few models, but most are SA/DA. Some of the SA/DA guns have safety setups like a 1911 and are carried in SA mode (cocked and locked), or in DA mode with the safety off and hammer at half-cock.

They also have decocker models that carry at half-cock in DA mode. All of the SA/DA decocker models can manually cocked to start with a SA pull, but usually start at DA and everything after the first shot is SA.

The only ones I'd personally avoid is the P-07, a polymer framed gun that had a few issues with the mag well and with frame distortion, and the 40P in .40 S&W, which had some feeding (mag design/reliability) issues that may or may not be cleared up by now.

The grip design and grip angle are such that they point very naturally for most people and mine feel like they have custom grips made to my hand.

One thing that puts folks off when handling brand new CZs is that the triggers require some break in before they smooth out and lose they grittiness. Quite simply, they are very ugly right out of the box. After a few hundred rounds, they are MUCH better and after a few thousand, they are pretty slick. Even a well broken in CZ in SA mode will never equal a good 1911 pull or nice S&W revolver, but they do get quite manageable and I remind myself that they are essentially duty pistols and not really meant for fine (bullseye) target work.

That said, Angus & Rob at CZ Custom do incredible trigger work and the difference can be like night and day if one wants to go the couple hundred for a nice action job.

Lots of info here: http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Good Guns. You will not be sorry.
    GunRunners in Frederrick has a used one for sale in his case.

CZ-USA - They give great NRA Instructor Discounts! ;)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    There is NO pistol platform that I have experienced that I prefer. The Tanfoglio made EAA Witness line is the most versatile with interchangable barrels/slides/calibers. I believe Jeff Cooper thought very highly of it as well.

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    CZ makes a great pistol, and the 75 is an excellent design. As was mentioned before, its very ergonomic, and is very comfortable and pointable. I own 2, a CZ P01 compact which was my first firearm and I absolutely love, I also have a full size CZ 75 stainless that I bought from a member on the boards she's quite a looker. I have also shot the CZ P06 the .40 cal variation of the P01, and can vouch for that as well. Great for carry, fun to shoot, quite accurate.

As far as shops that stock CZs, Atlantic Firearms in Downtown Silver Spring has a decent amount of CZs in their case (approximately 10). The Gun Rack in Burtonsville off of 198 has the most selection of CZs that I've seen, he's one of the dealers that seems to have a close relationship with the company. (EDIT: Although he did mention something about a markup coming soon :sad20::mad54:).

I've started a piggy bank towards the CZ 97 BD :innocent0:D

Gfacter

Oct 9, 2008
    Metro MD
    I really like my CZ75 SP01, with hindsight I would have purchased a model with a safety and not a decocker model

I did a trigger job with a Comp Hammer from CZ custom, the decocker makes that a lot harder.

It's very accurate with little felt recoil.

My only dislike is the long trigger take-up in SA.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    There is NO pistol platform that I have experienced that I prefer...
    Prefer compared to what?

Compared to rifles...agreed.

Compared to shotguns, what's the sitrep?

Compared to other pistols, how can this be? It would seem that one would ultimately have to NOT like something (I don't like my 1-1/2" 5 shot H&R .32 S&W very much, for example), making something else, maybe even a Block, clearly preferable.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    CZ-75 is a great design. It's based on the classic Hi-Power, and one of my favorite pistols. I can't say enough good things about CZs, but as with any handgun you should try one on for size--preferably even shoot it--before deciding.

You can get one with a traditional safety for "cocked-and-locked" carry or a decocker which is has largely supplanted it. I like the weight of the metal frame and the DA/SA trigger is second only to a SIG. It feels like a classic, old school gun. It tends to have a smaller grip so if you have big hands it may not fit you as well. The slide rides inside the rails which helps with accuracy, but some people complain about the reduced area to grip it.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I have a CZ-75BD (All newer models are B which means it has a firing bin safety block thing.) and the D means it's a decocker model as opposed to a safety. It is my favorite gun. I call her Vera.

I've had it since memorial day and since then between practice, IDPA matches and USPSA matches I've got 1260 rounds through the gun with only 2 failures, one was due to a magazine that was full of dirt causing the follower to bind up, the other was due to a round with a misshapen case that would not load in any gun. Other than the initial cleaning to remove the generous amounts of oil that CZ puts on the gun from the factory I have yet cleaned it. I will consider cleaning it when it fails or at the 2000 round mark.

Here is a picture of my CZ wearing VZ grips.

main.php

And here's a picture of it with the CZ Custom thin Aluminum Blue Grips and some grip tape.
    main.php

And just for good measure here it is straight out of the box.
    main.php

I have other guns I shoot well but the CZ is on par with the Sig in terms of accuracy. The Sig might have a better stock trigger but the CZ is no slouch and the trigger can be worked. It is the only other gun besides the 1911 that Jeff Cooper liked. He liked it so much he used it for the design of his Bren Ten gun (10mm handgun)

CZ guns either come with a safety in which case the intention is for it to be carried cocked and locked or a decoker and in those cases there is no manual safety you are relying on the longer double action trigger pull for your "safety." I cut my teeth with Glocks so this was preferable to me because I'm used the the manual of arms that there is no safety but your trigger finger.

Getting them in MD can be tricky because CZ is one of those companies that does not ship every pistol with a spent shell casing, you have to request it for the factory so you generally won't find many stores that stock a large number of them. Depending on where you live there are a few store options but your best bet might be to buy one from czcustom.com

Where are you located? If you live close enough I'll let you shoot mine; just bring the 9mm.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Getting them in MD can be tricky because CZ is one of those companies that does not ship every pistol with a spent shell casing, you have to request it for the factory so you generally won't find many stores that stock a large number of them. Depending on where you live there are a few store options but your best bet might be to buy one from czcustom.com

Interesting. At one point CZ was supplying a casing with almost every gun. I guess the folks in MD weren't buying enough guns.

As for a gun without the casing, that can be overcome rather easily and legally. Any ATF licensed 07, manufacturer, can do the fired casing for you. There are at least four Industry Partners who can do the fired casing, possibly more.

BTW, a few years back CZ bought Dan Wesson, a maker of 1911 style pistols. Those guns have a good reputation as well.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    If you or your FFL orders one "from the factory" you can request a casing with it.

This is correct but some dealers seem reluctant to do that for some reason. I had one even go so far as to suggest you simply could not get them in new in MD which I knew was wrong and why I stopped going there.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I had someone tell me the same thing, mrozowjj, only to find out the dealer just has to request it. I found out when I bought my CZ-75 Kadet from Gunrunner's in Frederick. Someone else mentioned gun rack in burtonsville, I haven't been to their shop, but at gun shows, they always have a bunch of CZ pistols, and I bought my CZ-452 trainer from them at a gun show.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I bought this used a few months ago from Lawmen Supply. The first thing that I liked about it was the way the gun just "fit" into my hand when I picked it up. I have shot around 200 rounds through it and the only fault I can find (and it is a minor one) is the slide is smaller than my sigs and M&Ps and a little harder to rack with big hands. All in all I would not turn one down for a good price. :party29:

100_2681.jpg

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I had someone tell me the same thing, mrozowjj, only to find out the dealer just has to request it. I found out when I bought my CZ-75 Kadet from Gunrunner's in Frederick. Someone else mentioned gun rack in burtonsville, I haven't been to their shop, but at gun shows, they always have a bunch of CZ pistols, and I bought my CZ-452 trainer from them at a gun show.

I've never been there but I called the Gun Rack Burtonsville and while I can't remember who I talked to he was very knowledgeable about CZs in general and is a great source for info. Had the store not been so far away I would have bought my gun there. I still intend to go there at some point.

oldsarge the slide being "smaller" is a complaint some people have. The issue is that the CZ-75 has a slide in frame design which limits how much of the slide sticks up above the frame. Supposedly this design is what makes the gun as accurate as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom