Custom AR barrel" X-Caliber? Other suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Damn. Right you are. Well who the hell would own a pistol or SBR AR? :rolleyes:

There was actually some rhyme behind my reason. Wanted to get my tax stamps in before 41P went into effect. Figured I could build the SBRs in Maryland, and then switch to a different contour barrel once I leave this state. Might be 90 years old when I leave this state, might be 60. Who the heck knows. So, I am just trying to build these up right now.

Started looking into a 6.5 Grendel build for one of my pre-ban lowers. Think I am going to go with a "special contour" 20" barrel on that thing.

All of these laws, pre-ban lowers, post ban lowers, pre 41P, post 41P, 922(r), is enough to give a guy a headache.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am kidding; I have an AR pistol. Although I do think I am getting a headache.

Attachments

• 20170709_143724.jpg
      20170709_143724.jpg
      114.2 KB · Views: 40

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    AFAIK, angled are fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, now I am going to have to add that to another research file. Have to start with the actual statute and then the ATF opinion letter on vertical grips and figure out how the angled grip fits in there. Sounds wonderful. Guess I could just forgo the forward grip on a pistol altogether and not lose sleep over it.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Yeah, now I am going to have to add that to another research file. Have to start with the actual statute and then the ATF opinion letter on vertical grips and figure out how the angled grip fits in there. Sounds wonderful. Guess I could just forgo the forward grip on a pistol altogether and not lose sleep over it.

I'd have to say your an interesting fellow. I don't know how you sleep at night. It might be time to sell all your guns but then I'm sure you would need a letter from the ATF to make sure you don't get classified as a dealer :D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thought there was a 26" OAL requirement to put one on a pistol.

Is there a ruling by the AG on this matter or are you just giving an opinion? Unless you know for sure, you could be causing people in Maryland undue stress from bad information. Please check with the AG and get back with us.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thought there was a 26" OAL requirement to put one on a pistol.

I think that might be for a vertical grip. An angled fore grip is not considered the same thing.

[EDIT]

"However, like so many ATF regulations, this one needs further clarification. If the overall length (OAL) of the pistol is greater than 26 inches then adding a vertical fore-grip doesn’t result in the pistol becoming an AOW"

https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-an-ar-pistol/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom