• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FoxFirearms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    In the middle of the year, the wait time was about 6 months. I recently spoke with my ATF rep and she told me NFA is taking about 15 months to process a class III tax stamp.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    In the middle of the year, the wait time was about 6 months. I recently spoke with my ATF rep and she told me NFA is taking about 15 months to process a class III tax stamp.

What in the world!?

I can't imagine there has been a spike in volume enough to cause that much of a back log. Maybe I'm wrong.

codefive

Jun 9, 2012
    Submitted paper to ATF end of January for a .45 can ...
    Received stamp Monday (State paper took FIVE days)

Been waiting for my STATE paper for an SBR w/ a can since September 2nd. I'm dreading the ATF wait IF I can ever get MSP to give me their paper.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Submitted paper to ATF end of January for a .45 can ...
    Received stamp Monday (State paper took FIVE days)

Been waiting for my STATE paper for an SBR w/ a can since September 2nd. I'm dreading the ATF wait IF I can ever get MSP to give me their paper.

Seems like the electronic filed forms are getting processed in 3 months. NFA tracker is showing a pretty good number of them being processed quickly.

I have a suppressor that was submitted early March, and 2 SBRs in July, before the electronic system went on line. I spoke to NFA yesterday and supposedly my suppressor was in problem status but it was cleared and I should see it mid January. I hope the SBRs don't take 9 months it just kills be to see all this stuff being processed from Sept and my stuff is stuck in the old system.

It looks like they do finally have additional agents to process the applications so hopefully they will being processing faster.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Seems like the electronic filed forms are getting processed in 3 months. NFA tracker is showing a pretty good number of them being processed quickly.

I have a suppressor that was submitted early March, and 2 SBRs in July, before the electronic system went on line. I spoke to NFA yesterday and supposedly my suppressor was in problem status but it was cleared and I should see it mid January. I hope the SBRs don't take 9 months it just kills be to see all this stuff being processed from Sept and my stuff is stuck in the old system.

It looks like they do finally have additional agents to process the applications so hopefully they will being processing faster.

When did your March app go pending? I have a late March app pending since the end of may. Sigh.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    Type: Individual Form 4 SBR
    Purchased: 12/29/2012
    Transferred to Dealer: 02/15/2013
    Sent: 02/26/2013
    Received: 03/01/2013
    Cashed: 03/04/2013
    Pending: 04/19/2013
    2nd Pending: 08/20/2013
    Approved: 12/11/2013
    Received: 12/20/2013
    Examiner: Christina Farris

357 days from purchase to pick up.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I was reading through the eForm News December Bulletin

Their average processing time
    Form 1 paper: 9 months
    Form 1 eform: 6 months
    Form 4 paper: 9 months
    Form 4 eform: 6 months

Granted eforms are coming back faster than paper. As some are finding out, there is no error correction on an eform. If it has errors, it will be disapproved, and you will need to resubmit all over again. Yea it seems eforms are being completed in roughly 3 months, but as more people efile, that process might actually reach their 6 month projection, and if you have errors, you just lost those 6 months compared to paper.

So, before you submit, double check your Trust, use the "ask the experts" on the atf site, and read their bulletins to make sure you filled everything out properly.

I have a feeling I may have to resubmit. Ill find out hopefully in about a week or so

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't think it is strictly true that eForms can not be corrected. I think in the above case, the examiner probably got irritated that someone would submit a trust document that can't be read. They have a checklist for trusts, if the trust is unreadable it would make it very frustrating. I submitted a Form 1 on 09/30/13 and an agent informed me that my trust name was too long for the eForm so the agent made the modifications to my form and re-submitted it for me.

-Jim

rcpd34

Peoples Republic Maryland
    Jan 29, 2009
    MD
    I submitted a form four with a minor error. I indicated lane instead of road in the address and I was told the entire form had to be withdrawn and resubmitted.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I don't think it is strictly true that eForms can not be corrected. I think in the above case, the examiner probably got irritated that someone would submit a trust document that can't be read. They have a checklist for trusts, if the trust is unreadable it would make it very frustrating. I submitted a Form 1 on 09/30/13 and an agent informed me that my trust name was too long for the eForm so the agent made the modifications to my form and re-submitted it for me.

-Jim

Perhaps your case may have been an exception. Hopefully their policy will change, but from their dec '13 bulletin page 9.

ATF cannot emphasize enough that any submitter ensure
    that the application is correct. We cannot make any
    changes to a submitted application so the processing
    for an eForm application is different from the process-
    ing of a paper application. This is especially true for the
    NFA applications. A paper application can be sent back for
    correction and returned to us – however, an eForm appli-
    cation cannot be corrected. It must be disapproved. The
    applicant will have to submit an entire new application
    with the corrected information. If you have any question
    about the completion of the form, use the Ask the Experts
    function with the eForms system.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Perhaps your case may have been an exception. Hopefully their policy will change, but from their dec '13 bulletin page 9.

Very interesting, that directly contradicts what the agent did for me. It is interesting that when the agent redid my form, the submittal date changed for my digital "signature" from 9/30 to 10/18 (they made the changes after the government re-opened). I was a bit perturbed since I was looking to get the SBR in pre-Oct 1st. While I did get it in, in time, the Form 1 now doesn't show that. Perhaps the changing of the signature date (falsely) is part of the reason for the change.

-Jim

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Just got off the phone with Vicky or Nicky? at ATF. They are saying 9 months from pending to completion.....and the waiting continues......

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Got 3 Form 1's back today:

Type: Trust, Form 1
    Sent: 03/05/2013
    Cashed: 03/15/2013
    Pending: 5/06/2013
    Approved: 12/30/2013
    Received: 01/02/2014
    Examiner: Daniel Paraksy