• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genexd

Mar 18, 2014
    Just received a disapproval for my form 1 sbs submitted in February. Denied because it fit the definition of an "assault weapon". Can anyone help provide documentation on the legality of a sawed off 8" barrel 16" overall length sxs? It was my understanding that since it is not "semi auto", it would not qualify as a copycat. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just received a disapproval for my form 1 sbs submitted in February. Denied because it fit the definition of an "assault weapon". Can anyone help provide documentation on the legality of a sawed off 8" barrel 16" overall length sxs? It was my understanding that since it is not "semi auto", it could qualify as a copycat. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Hope this helps. 26" minimum OAL

Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    ADVISORY
    LD-FRS-14-002 - REVISED
    May 2, 2014
    Short-Barreled Shotguns and Short-Barreled Rifles
    This Advisory is being published in response to a number of inquiries received by the Firearms
    Registration Unit. Citizens and firearms dealers alike have questioned whether or not short-barreled
    rifles or short-barreled shotguns are regulated in Maryland.
    I. Definitions
    has:
    Maryland Law, Criminal Law Article ("CR").§ 4-201(f), defines "short-barreled rifle" as a rifle that
    1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 16 inches long; OR
    2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a rifle
    either by alteration or modification.
    CR § 4-201(g) defines "short-barreled shotgun" as a shotgun that has:
    1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 18 inches long; OR
    2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a shotgun
    II.Possession
    Maryland's Public Safety Article § 5-203 specifically addresses the possession of short-barreled
    rifles or short-barreled shotguns. A person may not possess a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled
    shotgun in Maryland unless the person,
    1. While on official business is
    a. A member of the law enforcement
    b. A member of the armed forces
    c. A warden or correctional officer
    d. A sheriff or deputy sheriff; OR
    2. Is a citizen who has registered with the federal government the short-barreled
    shotgun or short-barreled rifle in accordance with federal law.

Rteele70

Jul 5, 2016
    Sent 1/25/16
    Cashed 2/5/16
    Approved 6/2/16 (according to lady on the phone today)
    Received........still waiting

I thought she said July 2nd at first, then I looked at the calendar and saw that was on a Saturday so I figured she must have said June. I only asked about 1 of the 3 so I didn't take up too much of her time. I am new to this, but assume all since all 3 were mailed together with 1 $600 check, they may have all been approved together?
    3 Form 4's sent 1/25/16
    Check cashed 2/5/16
    Approved 7/2/16
    Received 7/11/16

I was approved on 7/2, contrary to my previous post

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OBTW - the ATF EForm Server is being overwhelmed. The Database is running out of connections (looking at the stack trace I received). This weekend, their server was out of storage space when I tried to upload my trust. Looks like this morning they freed up some space (glad I'm not the on-call guy for that system). Got it all in tonight - but had to spend 15/20 minutes logging in and getting a session with the server. Good luck to those wanting to submit. Just keep trying.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    OBTW - the ATF EForm Server is being overwhelmed. The Database is running out of connections (looking at the stack trace I received). This weekend, their server was out of storage space when I tried to upload my trust. Looks like this morning they freed up some space (glad I'm not the on-call guy for that system). Got it all in tonight - but had to spend 15/20 minutes logging in and getting a session with the server. Good luck to those wanting to submit. Just keep trying.

The professional IT engineer that I am would *love* to know just what they've got this whole thing running on. I bet it's totally laughable.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Silencer Shop update posted on the FB just now.

So, we have made it through all the orders through the 11th and most of the 12th. Over 1200lbs of Form 4's and trusts off to the ATF. Over 2 million dollars in tax stamps alone. This is the largest number of Form 4's ever sent to the ATF in one day, ever!

13641129_1357557154265062_5002664157003612931_o.jpg

Jano

Jul 11, 2016
    Just went active on HQL, the questions on the HQL application seemed to be the same or atleast very similar to the atf 4473 form. If one goes active on the HQL does this mean the seven day waiting period for a handgun will be faster. Not sure if this a dumb question but if you pass the HQL shouldnt you pass the atf form 4473. Also the guy at gunshop told me that i have to fill out 7 pgs of forms. New to buying guns.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

So, we have made it through all the orders through the 11th and most of the 12th. Over 1200lbs of Form 4's and trusts off to the ATF. Over 2 million dollars in tax stamps alone. This is the largest number of Form 4's ever sent to the ATF in one day, ever!

WOW, very impressive! I've never sent off more than 10 pounds of Form 4s! :cool:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

I wonder how many forms that is.
    I am glad i sent one last form 1 today today since I eforms was down.

genexd

Mar 18, 2014
    Hope this helps. 26" minimum OAL

Maryland State Police

Licensing Division

ADVISORY

LD-FRS-14-002 - REVISED

May 2, 2014

Short-Barreled Shotguns and Short-Barreled Rifles

This Advisory is being published in response to a number of inquiries received by the Firearms

Registration Unit. Citizens and firearms dealers alike have questioned whether or not short-barreled

rifles or short-barreled shotguns are regulated in Maryland.

I. Definitions

has:

Maryland Law, Criminal Law Article ("CR").§ 4-201(f), defines "short-barreled rifle" as a rifle that

1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 16 inches long; OR

2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a rifle

CR § 4-201(g) defines "short-barreled shotgun" as a shotgun that has:

1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 18 inches long; OR

2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a shotgun

II.Possession

Maryland's Public Safety Article § 5-203 specifically addresses the possession of short-barreled

rifles or short-barreled shotguns. A person may not possess a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled

shotgun in Maryland unless the person,

1. While on official business is

a. A member of the law enforcement

b. A member of the armed forces

c. A warden or correctional officer

d. A sheriff or deputy sheriff; OR

2. Is a citizen who has registered with the federal government the short-barreled

shotgun or short-barreled rifle in accordance with federal law.

Thanks outrider! I ended up emailing them back a couple MSP advisories. I hope he changes his mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom