• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I picked up a rifled barrel w/ scope for my 870 a few months ago, and very much want to go deer hunting this next season for the first time. A friend at work has hunted for a long time, & said he'd take me along. He may well go one of the local wildlife mgmt areas.

The FWS is an irritating place for me for hunting. I have yet to see any wildlife there....well I did see a chimpmunk. I cant even find a squirrel...and I have been looking. I want to try a squirrel.

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    My buddy lives down on putman and fequently shoot at his house as does other home owners in the area

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    My buddy lives down on putman and fequently shoot at his house as does other home owners in the area

Your buddy & others frequently shoot on their own property? As far as I know shooting on your own property in Frederick county, outside the city limits is not prohibited as long as they're a minumum distance from other peoples' homes.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick

Shooting AR's? I hear a lot of shooting that coming from that way. Not every day

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Your buddy & others frequently shoot on their own property? As far as I know shooting on your own property in Frederick ****y, outside the city limits is not prohibited as long as they're a minumum distance from other peoples' homes.

he's not in the city. Not many house's around.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Shooting at the watershed will get you arrested, period.

Frederick City Watershed, maybe. The area they are talking about No. From the Mountaindale area for 70 years and shot M1's, handguns, deer rifles, 22's and shotguns. My grandfather built guns and fired them outside his log cabin on the creek. Having said that, would I do that today, probably not because of too many people, especially in the summer. I would go to some of the farms along Devilbiss Bridge road, Ramsburg Road, any open farm land, and ask for permission to target practice like you would do to hunt. You would be surprised how many will welcome you and even show you where they shoot their firearms. I can only remember once that I was turned down. I have gone back to farms and hunted and shared part of my bounty with them.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    The place is an absolute zoo on most days when it's open to the public. Unfortunately if you live in the Frederick area, there are few alternatives unless you own a farm, or have legal access to a large enough area to shoot safely on private land. If you live in Fredrick County and are not a member of a private club or have access to private property, unfortunately Cresap is about the only option.

I remember shooting there after school during the week when they were down by the river. Never a crowd during the week.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I remember shooting there after school during the week when they were down by the river. Never a crowd during the week.

Cresap is now open to the public only on Sundays from 10am-3pm, and as one of the range officers told me the last time I was there, there is usually a line of people waiting to get in before 10am unless there is a local gun show, in which case the range is still moderately crowded. Such was the case on the day I visited.

I will add that I enjoyed my session there, and although the RSO's on duty were a bit more harsh than I thought necessary, they only acted that way to people who didn't pay attention to the rules (one guy picked up & tried moving his cased firearm in the prep/ready area during a target-change cease-fire, and heard it loudly from at least three separate RSO's who were watching the crowd). But after all, the RSO is there to keep everyone safe, not to be your BFF.

Rimfire

May 20, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Cresap is now open to the public only on Sundays from 10am-3pm, and as one of the range officers told me the last time I was there, there is usually a line of people waiting to get in before 10am unless there is a local gun show, in which case the range is still moderately crowded. Such was the case on the day I visited.

I will add that I enjoyed my session there, and although the RSO's on duty were a bit more harsh than I thought necessary, they only acted that way to people who didn't pay attention to the rules (one guy picked up & tried moving his cased firearm in the prep/ready area during a target-change cease-fire, and heard it loudly from at least three separate RSO's who were watching the crowd). But after all, the RSO is there to keep everyone safe, not to be your BFF.

Twice in the past month I've witnessed pistol shooters, who may or may not have had a complete understanding of the English language, fail to obey the ceasefire command. Fortunately the RSOs handled both well, but it got to the point of them yelling at the individuals to put the weapons down and the RSO cleared them themselves.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Twice in the past month I've witnessed pistol shooters, who may or may not have had a complete understanding of the English language, fail to obey the ceasefire command. Fortunately the RSOs handled both well, but it got to the point of them yelling at the individuals to put the weapons down and the RSO cleared them themselves.

Don't blame them one bit. That's one advantage of a less busy range like Frederick IWLA, plus everyone that shoots there is an RSO themselves.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    That's one advantage of a less busy range like Frederick IWLA, plus everyone that shoots there is an RSO themselves.

Agreed.

We are not quite there yet, but all of our current members @ Mt. Airy IWLA have until 1 Jan. 2014 to take the NRA RSO course that Butch Hartmann is now conducting regularly at the chapter clubhouse. After Jan. next year I believe all new members will have to complete the RSO course before receiving a range badge. I've had my RSO certificate for about a year now, having taken Ben's course at your place last August. As for the Cresap range, I don't want to be too hard on them, to a certain extent they are a victim of their proximity to Frederick city, for many people there simply is no other choice short of joining a private club, and some clubs like the Damascus IWLA are no longer accepting new members. When I first moved to the county in 1990 I used to shoot @ Cresap often, it was much different then, very relaxed and never too crowded. The place is a madhouse now, and just too chaotic.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Agreed.

We are not quite there yet, but all of our current members @ Mt. Airy IWLA have until 1 Jan. 2014 to take the NRA RSO course that Butch Hartmann is now conducting regularly at the chapter clubhouse. After Jan. next year I believe all new members will have to complete the RSO course before receiving a range badge. I've had my RSO certificate for about a year now, having taken Ben's course at your place last August. As for the Cresap range, I don't want to be too hard on them, to a certain extent they are a victim of their proximity to Frederick city, for many people there simply is no other choice short of joining a private club, and some clubs like the Damascus IWLA are no longer accepting new members. When I first moved to the county in 1990 I used to shoot @ Cresap often, it was much different then, very relaxed and never too crowded. The place is a madhouse now, and just too chaotic.

This is why it pays to either join a club or be good friends with somebody that has land and likes to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom