• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doodads

May 29, 2011
    Sarasota
    As of right now their website doesn't say they won't be open this weekend. But you should check their website later in the week.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I heard somewhere a couple of months ago that Cresap was going to be closing. I don't want to start any rumors, but has anyone else heard anything about this? They've got a really nice range, and it would be sad to see it go.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    The place is an absolute zoo on most days when it's open to the public. Unfortunately if you live in the Frederick area, there are few alternatives unless you own a farm, or have legal access to a large enough area to shoot safely on private land. If you live in Fredrick County and are not a member of a private club or have access to private property, unfortunately Cresap is about the only option.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The place is an absolute zoo on most days when it's open to the public. Unfortunately if you live in the Frederick area, there are few alternatives unless you own a farm, or have legal access to a large enough area to shoot safely on private land. If you live in Fredrick County and are not a member of a private club or have access to private property, unfortunately Cresap is about the only option.

Go to the watershed. Shoot there all the time. Just dont be stupid and leave trash. Pisses me off to see the crap up there.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Go to the watershed. Shoot there all the time. Just dont be stupid and leave trash. Pisses me off to see the crap up there.

There's a place to shoot at the watershed. I live real close to it and didnt know I could go target shooting up there

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV

Thanks for the tip. I'm a member of a private club with excellent facilities, so finding a decent place to shoot is not a concern for me personally. My comments about the Cresap range were from past experience, and I really feel for anyone who has no other choice than Cresap. It's better than nothing I suppose, but not much better. It's always puzzled me that Frederick, being a predominantly rural county, didn't have more shooting ranges, but that's how it is unfortunately.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    There's a place to shoot at the watershed. I live real close to it and didnt know I could go target shooting up there

There are a lot of fields that have good natural back stops. Just drive/hike around and you will find one.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Is it a recognized/marked range?

There are a lot of fields that have good natural back stops. Just drive/hike around and you will find one.

You just have to keep an eye out for DNR police/Park police/Rangers. I think they would be highly upset if they caught you having play time with an AR or handgun, and you weren't on a marked range.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Is it a recognized/marked range?

You just have to keep an eye out for DNR police/Park police/Rangers. I think they would be highly upset if they caught you having play time with an AR or handgun, and you weren't on a marked range.

I did not know you can shoot in the water shed. Everything I had read on DNR website say's no target shooting. I will not be target shooting in the water shed.
    Never have.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Watershed is not DNR and is open to public hunting as well. I have shot up there MANY MANY times and no one cares. Now if a ranger came up I am not sure what the "rulling" would be. But be respectful to the area and you should have no problems.

My father in law and I shoot shotgun, pistol and rifle.

I have also been seen by lots of people up there OC handgun and rifle slung over back while hiking.

I say hello and talk to people no one cares. The mountains are a different mindset. Its let it be.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Watershed is not DNR and is open to public hunting as well. I have shot up there MANY MANY times and no one cares. Now if a ranger came up I am not sure what the "rulling" would be. But be respectful to the area and you should have no problems.

My father in law and I shoot shotgun, pistol and rifle.

I have also been seen by lots of people up there OC handgun and rifle slung over back while hiking.

I say hello and talk to people no one cares. The mountains are a different mindset. Its let it be.

This sounds like it could be a little bit careless advice....

When I search for "Frederick Watershed" I gete this website: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/western/fcw_cwma.asp & According to this website, the watershed is most definitely DNR.

If someone says "no it's ok, but watch out for the police" It sounds to me like it's probably NOT okay.

On the other hand, there ARE public DNR hunting areas here: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/index.asp Which doesn't mean it's okay to use it as a shooting range.

And I MOST DEFINITELY would not drive around looking for an oipen field with a natural berm/backstop and just set up some cans and bottles and start popping off rounds.

Just my two cents....

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV

When I search for "Frederick Watershed" I gete this website: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/western/fcw_cwma.asp & According to this website, the watershed is most definitely DNR.

If someone says "no it's ok, but watch out for the police" It sounds to me like it's probably NOT okay.

On the other hand, there ARE public DNR hunting areas here: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/index.asp Which doesn't mean it's okay to use it as a shooting range.

And I MOST DEFINITELY would not drive around looking for an oipen field with a natural berm/backstop and just set up some cans and bottles and start popping off rounds.

Just my two cents....

You are wise Grasshopper.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland

Just my two cents....

When I say drive I mean get onto the road off of yellow spring that cuts across to mountaindale. There are several "fields" that you can park at that have safe zones of fire.

There are no no shooting signs and I have heard more then enough gun shots up in the area. I do not have any problem shooting in the area as long as you practice safe shooting. I can think of 3 areas you can drive and walk into a field with natural backstops that are very safe for shooting. Unless you have been up to the watershed, I am not sure you understand.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    When I say drive I mean get onto the road off of yellow spring that cuts across to mountaindale. There are several "fields" that you can park at that have safe zones of fire.

There are no no shooting signs and I have heard more then enough gun shots up in the area. I do not have any problem shooting in the area as long as you practice safe shooting. I can think of 3 areas you can drive and walk into a field with natural backstops that are very safe for shooting. Unless you have been up to the watershed, I am not sure you understand.

The gunfire you are hearing in that area is from a private gun club near there. The guy that lives really close to it works down at Glade Valley Sporting Goods.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick

I have been to the water shed. A lot ... I live very close to it. Been going up there to hunt since I moved here in 1986...

I know where your talking about.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I picked up a rifled barrel w/ scope for my 870 a few months ago, and very much want to go deer hunting this next season for the first time. A friend at work has hunted for a long time, & said he'd take me along. He may well go one of the local wildlife mgmt areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom