• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    Favorite gun is a 22-250 or the Ar Both work great. Spot is in northern Baltimore county near pretty boy dam. Only spot really. Favorite call is a Foxpro spitfire electronic call. Works great for both fox and coyote.

52KV

Jun 8, 2011
    I would really like to do this. Plus it would justify me purchasing a new rifle. :)

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    I didn't realize we had any coyotes :x

Yea. They are making their way here. Give it 2 or 3 years and you'll be seeing them alot more. Prettyboy holds alot of coyotes as well as some black bears surprisingly. They have been caught on trail cams going after chickens. Maybe I should keep this on the down low....

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    I didn't realize we had any coyotes :x

Dude, they're all the way up in Nova Scotia!!!

We've had coyotes in DC's Rock Creek Park since 2004.

My dog and I walk the park every other day and we've run into them twice since then. Plus one time I saw one running around late at night downtown Silver Spring (yes I know the difference btw dogs, foxes, and coyotes).

I now walk the dog (46lbs Aussie) with a nice, sharp-ended, walking stick just in case one thinks he can take me and the dog. Park Rangers have advised me not to carry a firearm, but that if one threatens us and I kill it by spearing it with the walking stick, to just call them to pick up the carcass, but that the've got no problem with killing them.

WPOST 2007 Article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/15/AR2007041501097.html

Last edited:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I saw a BIG coyote up at Big Meadows, in Shenandoah National Park, a couple of weeks ago. Talked to a ranger about him... he said they LOVE fawns, of which SNP has lots of... that keeps the coyotes big and healthy.

kafratta

Poor College Student
    Dec 7, 2010
    Perry Hall
    If any rancher or farmer is having problems with 'em let me know I'm currently looking for a place to go out hunting.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Please respect them. Don't shoot 1 with nice fur and just leave it to rot.

Redneckrebel, your hunting spot is very close to me, keep me in mind. If you don't want them, I'll take them.

Presently I have noticed a missing goose and another moscovy duck is also missing. Not sure if it's foxes again. Also goofy neighbor's kid called me today asking if I had seen his goat- that's been missing for weeks.

Apparently if I follow the native Indian belief system, I am not "allowed" to even attempt to kill a coyote, as your totem animal is the one you do not harm. I know it sounds weird, but I tried to trap for coyotes last season and ended up with some weird stuff occuring, including encountering mink with masters degrees. I SHOULD have caught a coyote, they were right there, but I only caught foxes, coons, possums, and a skunk. The coyotes did not kill/rip up my foxes, nor have they bothered calves at the dairy farm. There were even still alive feral cats around. Weird weird weird... ( I'm still going to use modified coyote traps- they hold red foxes quite nicely w/out paw damages-due to the mods, and maybe some day I will be gifted a coyote in a trap).

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I saw a BIG coyote up at Big Meadows, in Shenandoah National Park, a couple of weeks ago. Talked to a ranger about him... he said they LOVE fawns, of which SNP has lots of... that keeps the coyotes big and healthy.

Parents took me there years ago when I was a kid, and deer were everywhere. It is good that a predator is there now that will thin them down, since hunting is not allowed in the park.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Please respect them. Don't shoot 1 with nice fur and just leave it to rot.

Redneckrebel, your hunting spot is very close to me, keep me in mind. If you don't want them, I'll take them.

Presently I have noticed a missing goose and another moscovy duck is also missing. Not sure if it's foxes again. Also goofy neighbor's kid called me today asking if I had seen his goat- that's been missing for weeks.

Apparently if I follow the native Indian belief system, I am not "allowed" to even attempt to kill a coyote, as your totem animal is the one you do not harm. I know it sounds weird, but I tried to trap for coyotes last season and ended up with some weird stuff occuring, including encountering mink with masters degrees. I SHOULD have caught a coyote, they were right there, but I only caught foxes, coons, possums, and a skunk. The coyotes did not kill/rip up my foxes, nor have they bothered calves at the dairy farm. There were even still alive feral cats around. Weird weird weird... ( I'm still going to use modified coyote traps- they hold red foxes quite nicely w/out paw damages-due to the mods, and maybe some day I will be gifted a coyote in a trap).

you using a rubber pad jawl 1 1/2 or a 1 3/4 I have had good luck with the 1 3/4 . Had a few yots pull out of the 1 1/2 . I dont like using #2's they to to much damage to coon or opssums.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If you like a gamey dog meat, go ahead and eat them LOL.

Browning guy, I use bridger and old montgomery #2's with laminations, offset laminated, a few with padded jaws additions, and some #3 softcatch. I also got 6 of the MB550's. I tried retrievable cable stakes last season and though there was no testing with coyotes, I yanked on them hard as I could and they were locked in good, yet when I pulled the retrieval cable, they came out pretty smoothly. I did get some dings on possums and coons with the bigger traps.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Coyotes in Western Md - are becoming more common. In the last few years - Ive seen them a bunch - have heard them howling in the woods near my house. Ive watched one a few times mousing a field near my parent house. Seen one jet across I-68 near Finzel, see hells of foot prints in the snow as well.

My brother manages to trap a few every season as well. I think he's had luck with a shellfish scent, that a PA trapper made, and gave to him to try. The first set he did with it - bingo he got yotes. He's also trapped Fisher's as well.

Alot of coyote hunters -hunt at night. Coyotes in this region tend to be more active at night (as is most predators).

I have an old Johnny Stewart 512 caller (old school uses tapes!) I really need to get it out at night and see what I can call in. I tend to call in other critter during the daylight. Had a racoon come in mad the first time out with it -broad daylight. It came in on a grey fox pup call (racoons & grey fox are enemies!) He hissed at the speaker after which it got belted with a 22mag.

kafratta

Poor College Student
    Dec 7, 2010
    Perry Hall
    thx think ima head out to fredderick watershed and hunt, coyotes are only huntable 30 min b4 sunrise and 30 mins after sunset right now so i gota live with that before they open up in sept. Im using a cheapie call from dicks, first call for me ever so i gotta get something down. Youtube vids arent much help with learning to call though. should i hunt'em alone? feels like with a predator that may hunt in packs id want a buddy there but I'm the only one i know that hunts. Give me as much info as you can it all helps Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom