• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Great looking gun!!

I'll buy your old stock if you still have it :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Actually I do still have it. If you are serious it's yours. I see them going for about $20 bucks on Ebay, but for a fellow MDShooter consider it Karma. All I'd do is keep it in the box, but in reality never actually use it. So if you can put it to use, and we can figure out how to get it to you, it's yours. PM me if you really want it. :)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Glad to see you're still patronizing TGS. I remember sitting next to you while you were doing a transfer. I'm sure they make those with a wood stock but not as pretty as that one. How much was the barrel threading? Also, if Duffys doesn't have the can you want Andy probably will at Engage. As an NFA noob, I hope you have patience. My cans were submitted in Sept 13 and nothing yet. The efile system didn't exist then but it's now so F'd up 4 months are out the window.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I remember - a Windham wasn't it? The guys at TGS have been great. They have done several transfers for me. I have also purchased a few "items" from them, and they have done some consignments for me. The barrel threading at Duffy's was $75, but I did the disassembly and just dropped off the barrel. John said some of the new factory barrels he threads are surprisingly warped, but he said this one was perfect so it wasn't difficult. He did a nice job. I have heard about the NFA headaches and delays, but still think I'll do it.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I am a NFA noob, but something tells me I am headed back to Duffy's for a can? :party29:

Very nice setup! :thumbsup:

I was scrolling down to post the same thing. I have a couple .22 setups and the can is fun. I can shoot subsonic .22 in my back yard and it is no louder than my kids air soft guns.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks guys. I specifically wanted to do something other than a 10/22 so it would be different. I also like the fact that the mag is almost entirely up into the action unlike the Savages, and that it has dual guide rods. Apparently some of the older models had issues with the 1st generation box mags, but there have been good reviews on the 3rd generation mags. In addition, some of the rifles had reported problems with extractor, hence the Volqhartsen, but I ran 100 rounds through it without a single hiccup even before changing out the extractor, and I didn't find the factory trigger that bad. And last, it feels like a much larger rifle, and with that HB its has less recoil than a Red Ryder BB gun. All around I am very pleased.:)

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Nice setup. Wait till you hear it suppressed. You will be hooked bad.
    Make sure you know the depth of your threading. Some cans like SWR/Silencerco require a .4" depth. Others can use .6". Just get a .2 spacer if you plan on a Sparrow, Spectre or the other SWR stuff.
    John has threaded several barrels for me. He has done some slick stuff for me.

Denis85

May 9, 2014
    Pax River
    i just picked one up myself! yours looks a lot nicer thought! haha

358B7631-872B-4344-AD51-6E397FCD8C8B_zpstbvsm3d7.jpg

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I remember - a Windham wasn't it? The guys at TGS have been great. They have done several transfers for me. I have also purchased a few "items" from them, and they have done some consignments for me. The barrel threading at Duffy's was $75, but I did the disassembly and just dropped off the barrel. John said some of the new factory barrels he threads are surprisingly warped, but he said this one was perfect so it wasn't difficult. He did a nice job. I have heard about the NFA headaches and delays, but still think I'll do it.

God memory on the Windham .308. $75 is a good price, did that include the thread protector? Never owned one of those rifles but I have liked the ones I've seen a .22WMR recently and was tempted but had just bought a CZ 512 in same cal. 10/22s are like butts in that everyone has one, including me so it's nice to see something different. My 10/22 is just stock, can't see spending the money people pay to make them shoot as good as one of my CZs out of the box. You'll love the can when you finally get it.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    God memory on the Windham .308. $75 is a good price, did that include the thread protector? Never owned one of those rifles but I have liked the ones I've seen a .22WMR recently and was tempted but had just bought a CZ 512 in same cal. 10/22s are like butts in that everyone has one, including me so it's nice to see something different. My 10/22 is just stock, can't see spending the money people pay to make them shoot as good as one of my CZs out of the box. You'll love the can when you finally get it.

You can get the knurled protector nut from Remington (they sell HB with threads but had stopped for a while, they are apparently running them again now?), but you should call them because the website doesn't differentiate between the nut for the regular versus heavy barrel. It was only a few bucks. I think shipping was more than the nut.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I have a 597 which I thought was great looking until I saw yours. Looks awesome. Is the heavy barrel easy to replace or are special tools required?

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    What is that thing? It's kinda like a purty gun, but without any feet I can't make heads nor tails of it? :)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have a 597 which I thought was great looking until I saw yours. Looks awesome. Is the heavy barrel easy to replace or are special tools required?

I don't know about upgrading from a standard to heavy barrel, i.e. whether it can just be changed out? But the removal of the barrel itself (for threading) is just one fastener. Very simple. Remington had temporarily stopped making the HB with threads, but I understand they are running them now. So you can buy a 597 with threaded HB (with a tan, composite stock) just not as nice as the Boyd's.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Beautiful rifle. That stock came out really nice. Tru Oil is some kind of clear coat i'm guessing?

Birchwood Casey - TruOil. Been around for as long as I can remember. You can buy a kit with three bottles. Walnut stain, TruOil and a Sheen Conditioner. Lots of sanding with fine grit, stain to your liking, apply TruOil quickly in thin coats with your finger (no kidding), a little fine steel wool between coats. Do it in a dust free environment, keep your finger clean and the oil uncontaminated and voila. You won't believe how shiny it turns out. The pic is after using the conditioner to give it a satin finish. I may go back once its really cured and put a few more coats on, but I was very satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom