• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    My first try. Came out nice and red, just a tad heavy on the salt. Overall pretty pleased.

image.jpg

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I used a recipe I found on the Internet.
    http://honest-food.net/2015/01/12/corned-venison-recipe/

Mine was a bit heavy on the salt. I didn't have kosher salt, and used pickling salt in its place. I found kosher for the next go round. Pickling salt is not as coarse, so I guess I used more than needed. The pink curing salt, which goes by instacure. Etc. can be found on eBay, cabelas etc. it is different than Morton's tender quick. I was ordering from cabelas so I ordered it there. I saw it cheaper on eBay. Don't need much of it, though.

It really was pretty easy, not labor intensive at all.
    Letting it cool so I can run it on the slicer.

Last edited:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    This roast was only about 3 lbs. I let it soak in the brine for 7 days. Now I need harvest another critter this weekend. I have one football roast in the freezer. I wanted to try a recipe for deli roast beef with that one.

I used a recipe I found on the Internet.
    http://honest-food.net/2015/01/12/corned-venison-recipe/

Mine was a bit heavy on the salt. I didn't have kosher salt, and used pickling salt in its place. I found kosher for the next go round. Pickling salt is not as course, so I guess I used more than needed. The pink curing salt, which goes by instacure. Etc. can be found on eBay, cabelas etc. it is different than Morton's tender quick. I was ordering from cabelas so I ordered it there. I saw it cheaper on eBay. Don't need much of it, though.

It really was pretty easy, not labor intensive at all.
    Letting it cool so I can run it on the slicer.

Not an expert but that was probably the issue (not criticism by any means :)) It definenitely looks awesome and I'm not a big salt fan in any capacity but it does looks delicious either way.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Not an expert but that was probably the issue (not criticism by any means :)) It definenitely looks awesome and I'm not a big salt fan in any capacity but it does looks delicious either way.

When I realized I didn't have kosher salt, I did some quick searching online. There was a conversion, and I just estimated. But from what I read, they are essentially the same. Being less coarse, there was more sodium for the volume I suppose. Next time will be kosher, picked a can today. I have a pork loin that I want to try a Canadian Bacon recipe I found, put the smoker to use.:D

I've gotten into canning the past few years and have done the same thing,use what's available/conversions and it just isn't the same as what the recipe calls for in some instances.That still looks like a nice chunk of meat (not to be partially quoted:sad20:).:thumbsup:

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Corned venison is next on my list to try. I made venison osso buco the other night and it was far and away the best thing I've made with deer. I'll never grind up another shank.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I am going to have to try that....Post a pic once you get a sandwhich made up :party29:

Not on a sandwich yet, but it's ready to go. Sliced it this morning. I let it soak in water for a day and a half to lessen the saltiness. Color was even all the way through.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom