• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Also something to consider - sitting in a driver's seat with SAPI plates front and back. Military vehicles are spartan by design. There's room to move around even with gear mounted. Police cruisers are production sedans with quite a bit added. I may be able to wedge myself into the driver's seat of a cruiser, but I'm 5'6". Probably wouldn't work for an officer who is 6'.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    what era was that? not being a dick, seriously asking...

they don't carry that much ammo (avg 45rds depending on weapon- 1 mag loaded and 2 back up), comm is light (bout a pound...no PRCs), and most don't carry FAKs, which for a cop in the modern US should be no more than a TQ or 2, (2) 5x7 pads, and 2 quick clot pads...usually someone isn't going to pack their own wound, they can't start lines or do decompressions, so its pretty simple..

240 rounds of 5.56 (8 mags)60 rounds of 9mm (4 mags) trauma pack, IV set with 1000cc bag. 2 Radios, flares, smoke & 2 frags. Sat phone. Last deployed 2009/2010. 7.62 plates, shoulder and Dick cover. Anytime you want to weigh it I'll be more than happy to set you up.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    very true. I've worn SAPI plates sitting in an SUV for 8 hours and my back was destroyed by the end of the day.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    240 rounds of 5.56 (8 mags)60 rounds of 9mm (4 mags) trauma pack, IV set with 1000cc bag. 2 Radios, flares, smoke & 2 frags. Sat phone. Last deployed 2009/2010. 7.62 plates, shoulder and Dick cover. Anytime you want to weigh it I'll be more than happy to set you up.

...nope...I was just asking if it was the weight of modern technology or old...we did have a guy post from 'Nam era, so...I didn't think the shoulder and dick cover was a useful addition considering the weight and mobility factor...you left out the weight of the filled camelback my man...

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Reminds me of a story a Balt County LE friend told me probably 30 years ago. They were called to a big fight at either Cal Bitners or the 20 Mile house and for some reason he popped his plates in before he went in. As he ran in the door some drunk punched him hard in the gut, and dropped like a rock when he hit my buddy's plate. Friend made sure to step on his hand while picking him up.:) And a little twist while cuffing.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Also something to consider - sitting in a driver's seat with SAPI plates front and back. Military vehicles are spartan by design. There's room to move around even with gear mounted. Police cruisers are production sedans with quite a bit added. I may be able to wedge myself into the driver's seat of a cruiser, but I'm 5'6". Probably wouldn't work for an officer who is 6'.

Dalton? I thought you be bigger:D

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    Never worked the job, have ya?

Cop...nope...and theres some different details from your neck of the woods and mine...the uniforms have changed in my area a while back and they all have the outer carry, Tac Vest, but no plates...the modern cop carries enough BS in weight but they're getting killed when they could be surviving a lot of incidents. The ones I've worked w/ and talked to have never said they wouldn't use the plates, they seem confused as in "I've never thought of...they aren't provided...and we don't know if we're allowed to..." are the answers I get...and as far as my comment of "BS weight", I have an old school mentality on being a cop...screw the "less lethal"..go back to treating non compliance w/ significant force- if they don't comply and you can't control them w/ your hands...well when you fight someone w/ a gun, theres a natural consequence. Then we don't have to hear about people crying when people get killed by a taser that is supposed to be "safe"

So nope...never been a cop...Ive done a bit of work side by side w/ them and advised some places on some topics...and I have no desire to deal w/ the political correct BS that goes w/ being a cop in modern suburban America...

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    The hard plates we are supplied with have ballistic properties even though they are meant primarily for blunt force protection to the sternum. I like having a hard plate there just in case. I think most officers are supplied with trauma plates but I'm sure the department has to purchase them.

By the way our new carriers can hold side plates too. I wear the soft trauma plates on each side.

Prince

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    By the way our new carriers can hold side plates too. I wear the soft trauma plates on each side.

Prince

The hard plates we are supplied with have ballistic properties even though they are meant primarily for blunt force protection to the sternum. I like having a hard plate there just in case. I think most officers are supplied with trauma plates but I'm sure the department has to purchase them.

wait...the resident experts here just rained on my parade and told me that plates were impractical and wouldn't be worn by cops...are you telling me that they can, do, and will wear them because they do wish to go home at the end of the day???

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    wait...the resident experts here just rained on my parade and told me that plates were impractical and wouldn't be worn by cops...are you telling me that they can, do, and will wear them because they do wish to go home at the end of the day???

You don't know what hard trauma plates that fit in a small front pocket on soft vests are, do you? They are not hard armor plates like you are suggesting. There are also soft flexible "trauma plates".

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I'll add on with the vehicle angle. Have you had a chance to sit in the new Taurus and/or Impala interceptors? It's brutal in regular duty gear. Wearing a set of Level 3 plates? No freaking thank you!

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    Sitting in a hummer really sucked. At least the SUV's had AC that worked most of the time.

..that my man IS a TRUE statement....and you can play "the fly" game...(flies get inside and buzz around, then you crank the AC and watch them become sluggish, kill AC, repeat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom